NeW wOrLd

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A sudden thud woke Feng up, she was sweating uncontrollably and her body was shivering like a fragile leaf amidst wind. But she knew it wasn't something wrong that had happened to her body that made her feel this way, it was her mind and heart. She clenched onto the material right above her heart as it was aching, as if someone had stabbed her multiple times. 

She looked around her, every passenger of that plane was fast asleep and seemed unaffected by her sudden condition. That's when it hit her, maybe just maybe it was her body's consistence way telling her of the distress that might have occurred in her village. Though she prayed not. 

A concerned flight attendant saw Feng awake, and huffing. She asked her of her well being to which Feng just replied that she was fine. Hearing the same the attendant was about to go when Feng requested for a cell phone, making an excuse that hers wasn't working properly. The truth was Feng didn't own a phone yet and had planned to buy one in Beijing. 

Thanking the attendant for her phone, she dialed the only landline number in the village, praying that someone answers her call.

In the village, midnight had just hit, causing a mayhem amongst the villagers due to the sudden passing away of their head. They worried what will they tell Feng tomorrow when she asks to talk to her beloved Grandma. Everyone was awake mourning the lose of such a dear one. When suddenly they heard the phone ring. Startled they looked at each other, worry taking over their features as they feared what if Feng had called and If she had what will they tell her

The son of the elder assured them that he will pick up and no was to say anything about the occurrence of today, they were to delay breaking this news to her as much as possible or it could ruin her future. 

Her patience was running out as her fret increased, when finally someone picked up. Her uncle was on the other side. 

"Ya! Feng how are you." his voice a bit shaky.

"I'm fine uncle, how is everyone else?"

"They are also fine..Just everyone is sleeping now."

"Yes yes..I'll call you when I reach."

And with that the call ended and Feng thanked the lady for her phone. She looked outside waiting as a single tear escaped her eyes. She knew the instant her uncle answered the call rather than the old convenience store owner, that something was wrong. Her uncles house was far away from the convenience store and seeing as it was midnight he wouldn't be able to answer the call. Also she noticed the silent murmuring in the background of multiple people. Feng was a smart girl since childhood and was easy to catch a lie and hearing the lie woven by her uncle she knew something dreadful has occurred in the village, that dreadful being related to her beloved Grandma. 

The sun peeped through the clouds of the sky, it was a magnificent view to look at from this altitude but to Feng this felt nothing. Her eyes were puffy from the sleep deficiency  and sobbing all night long. 

They were about to land in an hour, where everyone was happy as they were about to meet their families, Feng just felt empty. She wanted to go back but she remembered the last words of her grandma, the promise that she made to her, in order to fulfil whatever awaits her, she clenched the pendent dangling on her neck, looking forwards to the destiny that awaits her. 

The ride to her university was rather interesting, since childhood Feng had a thing for discovering new place. Since the village was small and surrounded by mountains, for the most of her life she had only seen wilderness and whatever came with it. Her contact to the outer world was minimal to only the stuff she saw in the adjacent town. Now here in a big city like Beijing she saw man made things, completely opposite to the stuff in her village, and this fascinated her. 

Feng felt as if she had entered a new world, as she saw infrastructure and technology, that she had only seen photos of and read in her tiny library. To others Feng looked like a child inside a candy shop, looking at everything for the first time and yes they were right as Feng had seen many of the things for the first time. 

Reaching the university she had enrolled in she saw and classic building, probably build in the 90th century. Many youth dressed in new fashion to which Feng was outdated to entered and left the building, everyone looked merry, is what Feng thought.

 And she was going to be the part of this merry looking new world.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~