4.

Tom's POV

The party got boring really quickly and at this point, Benedict and I were waiting for Rosaleen to return so we could at least have a regular conversation. She was amusing and would most likely brighten this party up. Multiple businessmen approached me and tried being nice but I knew their underlying motives were that they wanted a spot in Holland Enterprises. So I quickly waved them away once they had nothing to say.

"Tom, Rosaleen's been gone for quite some time.. Do you think something happened to her?" Benedict looked at me with concern. We usually never come to these parties, but we both know how handsy many of these men get, especially with alcohol in their system.

"You go find her. It seems like my brother is coming over" I whispered to him. He responded with a quick nod and slipped away into the crowd. I turned toward Claude and gave him a smile as he approached me.

"Brother! Where has your beautiful date and your bodyguard gone? Surely they're not... you know." He ended his sentence with a wink. I scoffed at what he was implying and shook my head. "They both just went to get a drink. Is there something you need to talk about?"

He put an arm around my shoulders and began leading me through the crowd of people. "Well I was wondering if you'd join me in finding out why everyone is quietly slipping into that suspicious looking door over there." Claude pointed at a closed door that was being guarded by two security guards on either side.

I gave him a suspicious look and looked back at the guarded door. One could say I was curious as to why there was a secret arrangement in there but I'm even more suspicious that Claude came over to bring me with him. Though, I am the only person he truly has a semblance of trust in. I'm sure it can't be too bad since these are all wealthy people that wouldn't dare to be caught in illegal activity. But then again...

"Of course I'll join. I'm quite intrigued to know what is in there." I said, and in return Claude smiled a very mischievous smile.

"I'm glad to know you are as curious as I, brother. You head in and I'll swing by and get us some drinks to look normal in whatever setting could be behind those doors. If anything happens in there... I promise I will repay you."

At this, I nodded to Claude and strolled up to the security guards. Promise he will repay me? Every time he's up to something he says that phrase... Without asking anything or even uttering a word, a guard handed me a mask. It was a type of mask you would wear to a masquerade themed party.. What's with this mask? As soon as I took the mask in my hands, the guard on the right proceeded to open the door enough for me to slip in.

The moment I stepped inside I was greeted by a stage at the farthest side of the room with rows of seats lined up in front of it. It was essentially a theatre inside of this mansion, which wasn't surprising. I proceeded to find my seat and noticed that everyone around was wearing the same mask I was given. Is this supposed to be a secret arrangement that no one wanted to be seen in?

Making sure I saved a spot for Claude, I sat in a seat and waited patiently for whatever show this was, to start. It didn't take too long for the lights to dim even more than they already were, and the show began.

It didn't take too long to realize, as the items went on stage and masked people yelled out prices, that this was an auction. Countless items were displayed and each was sold. The person that won the bid would be escorted to the back, most likely to receive their items. It was getting boring very quickly and Claude still hadn't returned from getting drinks. My best bet is he got distracted by some woman. Typical Claude.

I was very tempted to just get up and leave until they brought a large covered square object and placed it in the middle of the stage.

"For the grand finale of this auction we are putting something out for bidding that we have never bid before!" The masked announcer said with an excited tone in his voice. The cage seemed to be moving and the people holding onto it seemed annoyed at whatever was in there.