Chapter 1- A Beginning

---Special thanks to reddit users TehBear and Dirkinator for helping me start this off by giving me the few lines I was looking for. This couldn't have been started without you guys!---

"As he did so, a wind rose up around him, around the man who had been called lord, Dragon Reborn, king, killer, lover and friend."

...

"But it was an ending."

Edwin Moore looked up and around his room, an odd emptiness filling him as he read the final words of A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. His finger was still in the book, marking his place. He reopened it and found there were a few more paragraphs.

...

"He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone." from The Dragon Reborn."

As he closed the book for the final time, Edwin's mind was filled with questions. How did Rand light the pipe? How did he switch bodies with Moridin? He checked the time on the small digital clock on the stand next to his bed and saw it was nearly 3 a.m. It took me that long to finish it off? He went back in the book, looking for his mark inside. 35 chapters?! He was shocked. He had started reading at close to 11. It took me near 5 hours for that? He thought back, and realized that his reading was broken up by multiple bathroom visits, fridge raids, and short naps. Shit, he thought. I have to be up at 5:30 for school. Well, no point in putting it off. He laid AMoL on his bed stand, stripped off his shirt, and turned out the light before crawling onto his bed to try and get a few hours of sleep.

He woke up before his alarm went off, like he always did. He got dressed in his room in the dark, not wanting to disturb his brother, who's room was a few feet away. He searched around on his dresser, until his hands found the small pins he had left there from the previous day. He felt it, trying to figure out which was which. In his right hand, he held the small dragon pin. In his left, the sword. The pins were his pride and joy, something he had bought online to show his love for the Asha'man of Jordan's world. He placed the sword pin back on the dresser, and attached the dragon pin onto his right pocket. The sword pin took a similar spot on the left pocket. He didn't care if anyone mocked him for wearing them, they were his, and he didn't give a damn what anyone thought. But, he did care about their condition. School was rough, and he didn't want to lose one because it got caught somewhere, and he definitely didn't want to lose one. He checked himself in the mirror hanging in his room.

Even in the dark room, he could see his clothes, a pair of dark jeans and white t-shirt, and his own reflection. He looked away, checking the clock. 5:00. Good, he thought. This gives me a chance to relax. He sat at the foot of his bed, and pulled out his phone, checking his Clash of Clans account. After about 5 minutes, he threw it towards his pillow and laid back. Still got 25 minutes. What else can I do? He sat back up, and did what he always did when he was bored. He took to the Void. He imagined the flame in his mind and pushed everything in. He immediately felt calmer and more detached. Even though it came from Jordan's world, it worked well, and Edwin often retreated there, whether in boredom as he had now, or during tests.

He closed his eyes and floated in the emptiness, waiting for his alarm to go off. What the hell? He could just see a hint of color in his mind's eye. He knew without opening his eyes it wasn't the light. One, he wasn't facing it and he'd have heard someone turning it on. Two, the lights were off. Yet even as he thought about it, it was getting closer and closer, the color becoming sharper, and even splitting into multiple others: red, green, blue, yellow, and white. The closer he got, the more he felt a strange euphoria growing inside him, an inner excitement at growing closer to it. He was almost...

The lights flashed on in his room, shattering the Void. "Hey get- Oh. Your awake. Good." His brother turned and walked out of the room and into the bathroom. Edwin shook his head a few times. Must have fallen asleep, he thought. But if that was a dream, what the hell was it a dream of? He walked out of his room and downstairs to the kitchen. He made a bowl of cereal, and ate quickly.

He sat watching TV shortly after, having brushed his teeth already, and was listening uninterestedly when a headline caught his attention. "Teen girl, 13, dies from mysterious causes." He listened as the reporter came on. "Little is know about how Alexis Crowne died, but it has been confirmed that there are no marks on her body, and no traces of drugs of any kind were found internally. Police are unsure of what to make of the case, as-"

"What the hell?!" Edwin demanded, his anger flaring up. He searched around for the remote, but found it was missing.

"Check the time retard. We have to go." His brother, Alex, was standing with the remote in one hand, his other on the doorknob. Alex tossed the remote onto the couch, and Edwin jumped up, grabbed his bag, and was out the door.

They had it lucky. Their bus stop was the bottom of the driveway, so they could afford to stay inside until the last minute. As always, Alex got on first, sitting with one of his friends in the front. Edwin headed for the back, taking one of the empty seats. He sat down and pulled his bag off, before grabbing his phone and getting headphones in, settling in for the 10 minute drive to the school.

---How did you guys like this chapter? Comment and vote to let me know how I did for a first attempt. Oh. And I won't be describing Edwin in closer detail unless absolutely necessary, so you can get your own idea of what he looks like. Feel free to comment and let me know how you picture him.---