Chapter 5- Saidin

When Edwin woke up, he found himself in a hospital bed. Looking over, he saw his parents sitting together, although they were both asleep. How long was I there? Looking around, he found his phone and turned it on quickly. He checked the date, and found it was three days after he had gone to meet George.

He tried to get up from the bed, but pain flashed through his body. He fell back and his world faded into black once again.

He woke again, but this time at night, and his parents were nowhere to be seen. He reached for his phone, and, finding it on, checked his texts. He found nothing new, no surprise there, he put it back on the table close to him and stared at the ceiling, before sleep took him.

He woke the next morning to someone gently shaking his shoulder. Opening his eyes, he found a doctor standing over him. Looking past him, Edwin saw his mom and dad, worry clear on their faces. "Hey doc," Edwin said. "What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering how your feeling Edwin. When you collapsed your head smashed into a garbage can and the back of your head was bleeding quite severely. Do you feel dizzy? Tired? Vision blurry?" The doctor asked him each question in turn, and each question got the same answer: a head shake indicating no.

"Ok, well I'd like to keep you here until tomorrow just to be safe. That ok with you?" The doctor asked, even though they both knew Edwin had no choice.

"Sure." It gives me time to see if I can channel, and time to practice if I can. Even as he thought about, he realized he had taken to the Void. The doctor walked out of the room, but his parents stayed behind.

"What happened to you bud?" This came from his dad. Did it come from him? Or mom?

"I'm not sure. I was meeting George, because he said he needed something. Before he told me what it was, I blacked out. After that, all I remember is waking up here." Not the whole truth, but he wanted to keep his visit to the Aelfinn a secret. He wasn't sure if his parents would believe him, and he had no way of proving it to them even if they did. The only proof he had was whether or not he could channel. And he needed to be alone to fond out.

They seemed to believe him, because they then left the room. Ok, he thought, now lets see if they were right. He closed his eyes, and soon found the colored light. He relaxed himself, but found it slipping away. No! Why is it- Of course! I'm an idiot! He pulled the light closer to himself, and found it did what he wanted. He soon stood in his mind's eye before the light, unsure of what to do now. He forced his way into it, and felt it suffusing his entire being.

Opening his eyes, Edwin was shocked to see everything was sharper and more rich then before. Its true, he thought, awe and amazement plain on his face. It really does all of this! Pushing the excitement to the side, he felt the freezing heat and searing cold of saidin rushing through his body. What should I do to test it? Looking around the room, he saw a small cup sitting on the opposite side of the room. Pulling on saidin, he did...something...and soon the cup was floating towards him, wrapped in flows of Air. He examined what he had done, and was confidant he could do it again. He released the cup and it dropped into his lap. That was Air, he thought. So what about Fire, Earth, Water and Spirit? He looked around the room again, and found a small stack of papers. Reaching out with saidin again, he formed a weave of Fire and touched the corner of the stack. They caught fire quickly.

He looked around to check if anyone saw what had happened, but no one was around. Breathing a sigh of relief, he reached out with a flow of Water and extinguished the papers. Wrapping them in Air, he quickly dropped them into the trash can. After he released the papers, he realized he was still holding all three of the flows. Releasing them, he sat in awe. How strong am I?