Chapter 2- A Different Place

Edwin sat up in the seat, looking around. The bus had stopped finally, and he found himself at school. Alright, he thought. Lets get this show on the road. Edwin stepped off the bus last, as always. Walking inside, he let his body go on autopilot, and his mind went back to his experience from earlier in the day. What the hell was that? Some kind of dream or something? Maybe it was something I-- His thoughts cut off as he slammed into something. Looking up, he realized it wasn't something, but someone. Shit. My day just keeps getting better and better! Standing in front of him was George Mackelson, star quarterback of the football team. "Watch it punk! It happens again, I kick your ass. Got it?" As he got up, Edwin had to bite back his reply. Surrounding him were three of George's friends. Not good odds. Have to get out of here before they kill me! "Yeah. Whatever." He brushed past George and his crew, hoping they'd leave him alone. He got around the next corner in the hallway and took off running for his first class.

Edwin managed to get through his first three classes with no other issues. Except, once he got to lunch, things went south. Fast.

He bought lunch and sat with some of the other loners. He was half done eating when he looked up and saw the eyes of the others at the table glued to something behind him. He closed his eyes and exhaled, calling on the Void to help him. He turned around, completely calm. "What do you want George?" A look of confusion flitted across George's face for a brief second, but Edwin's joy at confusing him was outside the Void, and thus out of reach. "You and me. After school. Today." His challenge issued, George stalked away to torment someone else. Edwin turned back to his food and finished eating, already thinking of a way to either get away or take him down.

His final class was a study hall. Sitting at the desk, he had his head down, trying to get some sleep. He was still inside the Void, not wanting to face the flood of emotions once he left. As he sat, he again noticed the color in his mind. You again, he thought. Lets see just what you are. He relaxed himself, but soon noticed the color was fading and growing smaller. No! He thought. Come back he-- The bell went off, breaking the Void and shattering his confidence. As he walked from the room, Edwin's thoughts drifted back to George's challenge. I can leave, and face him tomorrow, or deal with this now and end it. One way or another. His decision made, Edwin walked confidently towards the school exit.