Chapter 14 The Issue of Comrade Xiao Dao's Staying and Leaving

001

I was suddenly hit by the idea of rearing a dog, and attempted to negotiate the issue with Mr. F. Mr. F took one glance at me before responding, "Don't we already have a dog at home?"

I grit my teeth and bore the humiliation silently, "Can't we rear another one then?"

"It's enough that we are already housing a lazy glutton at present."

Me: "......"

Undeterred, I continued, "Rearing dogs has many benefits! It helps to cultivate patience, so we can view it as training for the future rearing of our kids."

"No way, I hate furry things."

"But you owned a golden retriever when you were young!"

"It was my dad's choice to rear that dog, I had no say in it."

"Don't you want me to go jogging with you? If you let me rear a dog I promise I'll go jogging with you."

After trying to persuade him for one entire month, he finally relented and agreed to let me rear a dog. As my friend had coincidentally picked up an abandoned a Schnauzer at that time, I decided to bring it back home. When I first brought it back home, it was extremely smelly and dirty.

Mr. F was mildly displeased, "Why is it so ugly?"

"Don't say that! Our dog is just beautiful in an inconspicuous manner."

After bringing my dog for its vaccination, I brought it to the toilet for a bath whilst Mr. F leaned against the door and looked at us both. Smiling, I looked at him and said, "Our child's dad, why don't you think of some names?"

Furrowing his brows, he replied, "Anything will do......Be careful and don't get bitten."

"What should we call it? What about Money? I love Money, and I hope that Money would accompany me at all times."

The dog which was originally laying on the floor seemed to have understood what I said and lifted its head to look at me. Mr. F was also tickled and laughed.

002

Xiao Dao's front legs suffer from certain defects. Thus, when it attempts to run with its tiny short legs, it would simply limp along, looking terribly silly and supremely cute. When I brought it out for a stroll, this stupid fellow maintained a lowered head the entire trip in order to be able to sniff the road. As a result, it knocked its head on the electric pole with a loud 'Dong', and got so confused that it was unable to recognize me, happily running after other strangers instead.

I didn't know whether to cry or laugh, and commented, "Why is this kid so stupid?"

Mr. F smirked coldly, "It took after its mother."

"......"

003

There are times when I'm feeling terribly lazy and unwilling to head out; during these times, I would beg Mr. F to bring Xiao Dao out for it to take its dump. Even though Mr. F is often unwilling to help, he would ultimately relent in the face of my incessant begging.

Once, I had to work overtime, and coincidentally met the two of them as I was on my way home. A certain fellow was walking ahead with his hand stuck in his pocket while Xiao Dao toddled shakily behind him. When Xiao Dao occasionally stopped to smell the flowers, a certain person would turn back and glare at it. A frightened Xiao Dao would then immediately hobble over to that fellow and follow in his footsteps.

Just then, a humongous Chow Chow made its appearance. My heart dropped instantly. Xiao Dao had an extreme fear of humongous dogs – probably because it had been bitten by a huge dog in the past. After having taken two additional steps, Mr. F discovered that Xiao Dao was no longer following him. Mr. F then turned back to look at a frightened Xiao Dao (which was rooted to the spot) and stared at it. After some time, an expressionless Mr. F walked over to Xiao Dao and scooped it up, only putting it down only when the Chow Chow was some distance away.