Chapter 14- Heading to Church

Sunday morning brought a thunderstorm to the Newark area, but the foul weather did not give Georgia an excuse to break her word to Colin. She had gone shopping the day before to find something suitable to wear to church. A little embarrassed that she didn't even own a dress, she bought several just in case she enjoyed the service and wanted to go again. Besides, she was a little unclear as to how many times she agreed to go with him. He just said he wanted her to go to church with him, and she wasn't sure if he meant once, or for an indefinite number of times until he grew tired of her company.

Slipping a black lace dress over her head, she stood back and looked in the mirror with a frown. She couldn't remember the last time she looked so feminine, and she wasn't entirely sure she was a fan. Still, she had made a promise, and if Beckner could help her find her son it would make all of this worthwhile. Pinning her hair up into a loose bun, she let several curls escape their bobby pin prison and brush her collarbone. Although she never bothered with makeup, she didn't know how formal church was, so she put on a little mascara and blush pink lip stick just so she could say she tried. She quickly stepped into a pair of nude heels, and was ready to head out to the main part of the house.

Checking her watch, she saw she still had twenty minutes before they were scheduled to head out the door. Relieved there was still time for coffee, she made her way out to the kitchen to make a pot for the two of them to drink on the way. When she walked past the bathroom, she could hear the shower running, and misty tendrils of steam escaped from the crack under the door. He better hurry up if he expects us to be on time. Georgia smiled to herself.

To her surprise, she found Beckner had already started a pot of the legal, addictive stimulant, and the pot was just beginning to hiss and gurgle as it finished brewing. Grabbing a travel mug, she filled it and inhaled the earthy smell already invigorated by the scent alone. Hearing someone enter the kitchen, she looked up from her steaming mug, and was shocked to see Beckner standing in the doorway shirtless. Her mouth hung open as she watched his muscles flex with each move he made. His torso looked as if it was chiseled out of marble. Clearly he hadn't noticed her sitting at the kitchen table in the corner of the room, because he walked to the coffee pot and poured himself a cup as if he considered himself the only person on earth. No matter how hard she tried to peel her gaze off of his surprisingly muscular frame, she couldn't take her eyes off of him.

When he turned around and saw her sitting on a kitchen chair mouth agape, he looked down at his bare chest and a deep blush spread over his face. "I'm so sorry! I thought you'd still be getting ready."

Georgia didn't know why, but she enjoyed watching him squirm. Gleefully she decided to make the situation as awkward as possible. "Oh, don't be sorry, Beckner...you could be an Abercrombie model, you know." She gave him a not-so-subtle wink and bit her lower lip to hold in a chuckle.

"I'm going to finish getting ready." She giggled to herself as he rushed out of the kitchen with his cup of coffee in hand.

Dang! He's making Christianity look better all the time! While she was completely in jest when this particular thought crossed her mind, the conversation they had after their one and only run together still found its way into her musings quite often. Deep down she wanted the peace Colin possessed; she wanted to know God for herself. Even though she desired to know Him, she wasn't entirely convinced He cared to know her. She hoped this church service would help clear up some of her doubt.

Looking up once more from her cooling beverage, her eyes met Beckner's sheepish gaze. Now fully clad in a dark grey suit and tie, she decided he looked just as good as he had a few moments before. "Sorry about that, Georgia. It didn't even cross my mind you would be ready to go so early. I'll be more careful in future."

"Don't let it bother you, Beckner...I was married. You're not the first guy I've seen with his shirt off." The look he shot in her direction made it obvious her declaration was not a comforting one to him, but his look of chagrin was quickly replaced by one of admiration.

"Georgia...you're beautiful!" Now it was her turn to blush three shades of crimson at his words. When she heard his heartfelt expressions, she no longer felt gangly and awkward in her unusually feminine clothing; she felt pretty, and her heart quickened pace at his words.

"Thank you, Beckner. I'm glad I am up to the standard. I haven't been to church in over twenty years, and I was a little worried I would embarrass you if I didn't dress the part."

"There is no way you could ever embarrass me." The look in his eyes made her heart jump into her throat. It almost felt as if he cared for her, but of course, that was impossible. She would never interest him. For all she knew he viewed her as a complete heathen.

"Are you ready to get going?" Knowing she needed to get her mind off of the fact he would never see her as anything more than a friend and co-worker, she decided the best course of action would be to get out of the apartment.

"Yes! Let's go. You have no idea how glad I am you agreed to come with me." They walked out the door and down to the car. Before she had an opportunity to get to the passenger door, Colin had the door opened for her. Someone obviously raised this man to be a gentleman, and though she didn't mind his thoughtfulness in the slightest, she was certainly not accustomed to this type of treatment.

Once they were on the road, she glanced over in his direction. Her nerves were beginning to get the better of her, and an unsettled feeling took up residence in the pit of her stomach. Church had never been part of her life, and she didn't have the faintest idea what to expect. "So, tell me about this church we are going to."

"Actually it's the church I grew up in. I lived not too far from here until I joined the Bureau, so I know the church pretty well. My parents still attend, so you will get to meet them." His eyes were focused on the road, and she was grateful he couldn't see the trepidation she was certain was written all over her face.

"And what should I expect?"

"You nervous?" When he quickly turned to look at her; his eyes told her he sensed her tension. Offering her a sympathetic smile, he turned his attention back to the interstate. "Are you regretting your decision to come with me?" She detected a note of disappointment in his voice.

"Not exactly, but I think if you were to tell me how things work at this church of yours it would help me out. Knowledge is power, and the more prepared I am, the more comfortable I will be."

He humored her by telling her the order of services and how things operated at the Bayside Baptist Church.

"Do you think the people will look down on me...because I'm not a church person?" She tried her best to hide the insecurity she was feeling, but knew as soon as the words left her mouth that she had failed miserably.

"Of course not!" He assured her. "Everyone at the church is very friendly. I told my mom and dad we were coming, so they're saving us a seat. You'll already have three friends when you get there."

Nodding her head with more confidence than she felt, she tried to brace herself for what was to come.

After their time together, Colin was getting close to reading her like a book, and today was no exception. "Georgia, I will stay with you the whole time...I won't throw you to the wolves if that's what you're worried about. You will only be rid of me if you want to be."

Annoyed with herself for letting him close enough to sense exactly what was wrong, she thanked him and watched the mile markers whiz past.

Before too long, the car came to a stop at a small, brick, church building. "This is it." He announced as she unbuckled her seatbelt. When she opened her door and climbed out of the vehicle, she noticed him rushing to her side of the car and gave him a confused look. "I would have opened your door for you."

"I guess I'm not used to having doors opened for me. I'm sorry."

"That's ok." He smiled. "Are you ready?"

"Bring it on."