Chapter 15- The Gift

Resisting the urge to take her hand, Colin walked beside Georgia up to the church building. When he opened the door for her, he could sense her trepidation, and hoped she would be able to relax and enjoy the service. His parents were waiting in the foyer for them to arrive, and before there was a chance for a proper greeting, his mother imprisoned him in a bear hug.

"Oh Colin! It's wonderful to see you...it's been way too long." Her gentle scolding made him chuckle.

"You're right...it has been too long. Work has been keeping me pretty busy."

"I have to tell you, son, I was a little ashamed of you a minute ago."

"Why's that?"

"You bring a lovely, young lady to church with you and then make her open the car door herself. Didn't I raise you better than that?" Wagging an accusing finger in his direction, he saw the mild annoyance on her face.

To his relief, Georgia came forward in his defense. "Don't blame him, please. I have never had anyone open doors for me until Beckner came along. I'm afraid I just beat him to it."

"We'll let it slide just this one time." His mom conceded.

"Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet Georgia Hannon." Colin was ready for a change of subject, and an introduction was as good a change as any.

"Georgia, these are my parents, Dale and Maggie Beckner."

He observed as Georgia shook his father's hand, and reached her hand to his mother. Instead of offering her hand in return, his mother enfolded her into a friendly embrace. "Georgia, we are so glad to have you here! Colin rarely brings friends around to meet us."

Unable to hide a grin, Colin detected a look of discomfort on Georgia's lovely face. She was definitely unaccustomed to any kind of tenderness, and his mother's hug had thrown her completely off guard.

"It's good to be here, ma'am." Georgia cleared her throat nervously and glanced in Beckner's direction.

A look of relief washed over Hannon's face when she heard the music begin to play in the auditorium. Clearly she remembered the order of things and knew they would have to sit down in the service soon.

"I guess it's time to find our seats." His father led them in to the sanctuary and pointed out the chairs  he reserved earlier. After Colin and Georgia were comfortably seated, his parents noticed some friends and walked to the other side of the room to greet them.

Sensing the tension as she sat beside him, Colin leaned his head down and looked her in the eye. "What do you think so far?"

"You're parents seem like very kind people." He watched her as she squared her shoulders and held her head a bit higher. "Don't look at me like I'm a puppy that needs to be rescued from a puddle...I can do this...it's just church."

He smirked as he was about to respond, but to his annoyance, he was interrupted by a tall, blond woman who sat right next to him and grabbed his arm. "Colin? I thought that was you! It's been ages!"

"Hi, Julia...it's been a while." He couldn't share her enthusiasm. Julia had grown up with him, and more than once had been a little too forward when discussing the plans she devised for the two of them.

"Would you like to take me to lunch after church today? We have a lot of catching up to do."

Just as he was getting ready to refuse her unwanted offer, he heard Georgia clear her throat in the seat to his left, and watched her peek her head around to make eye contact with the stranger who was seated on his other side.