Chapter 42- Making Amends

When he opened his eyes and saw Georgia's smiling face, he thought his heart would beat out of his chest. The last thing he remembered was their tearful goodbye, and he was overwhelmed as he gazed into her eyes once more. Henry captured his attention and his heart as soon as he spoke with him. Knowing the little boy prayed for him and even brought him his favorite toy to speed his recovery brought happy tears to his eyes. Truly he was blessed far beyond what he deserved. Though pain still radiated through most of his body, he praised the Lord he still had a future to look forward to with Georgia.

Before he had the opportunity to tell her all that was in his heart or get better acquainted with Henry, his parents rushed into the room. Almost instantly his mother was beside him, taking his hand, and all but pushing Georgia out of the room. Feeling the full force of her rudeness, his eyes scanned the room for the lovely brunette. He detected the hurt in her eyes as she quickly left the crowded room with Henry. He swallowed hard and was tempted to compel his mother to apologize. Any words he wanted to say were quickly shushed by the woman holding his hand as she stroked his cheek in an attempt to soothe him.

He noticed his father follow Georgia out of the room and breathed a sigh; at least one of his parents was trying to be civil to her. How would his mother respond when he told her she was right all those weeks ago? He did love Georgia, and he would expect her to be treated with the respect she deserved.

When he watched his father return to the room alone, disappointment was his reigning emotion. "Dad, where are Georgia and Henry?"

"She said they had to be going...they will be back though."

"Oh, don't worry about them," his mother cooed. "We are here for you now, and I will take care of you. After all, you told me a few weeks back she was only a friend and coworker...wouldn't you rather have your family here?"

Now was as good a time as any to set the record straight with his mother. "I think you know there is a lot more to my feelings for Georgia than just friendship. You told me the last time I saw you I loved her, and you were right. I really wish you would have tried to be friendly to her a minute ago. I'm sure she left because you treated her like she wasn't welcome."

"Now Colin, we talked about this. She isn't a Christian, so she isn't even an option. Julia is on her way down...she said she just had to see you when she heard you were in the hospital. She's a nice girl son, and I'm sure you could make it work with her. If only you weren't so stubborn." She patted his shoulder sending a wave of pain through his chest.

Gritting his teeth until the discomfort subsided, he continued the conversation. "Mom, Georgia is a Christian...she accepted Christ a few weeks ago. She's a different person now. Surely you can't have anything else against her. I think if you took a minute to get to know her, you would see the same thing I see...she's amazing."

"Actually...there is something else about her I'm not fond of." Maggie bit her lip, unsure if she should continue.

"What could that possibly be, mother?" His eyes were growing heavy as his small supply of strength waned.

"She already has a child, Colin. Do you really think you would want to take on that kind of responsibility? Let's be honest, son, she has quite a bit of baggage." She rested her hand on his arm, and he quickly drew it away.

"Now Maggie...this is neither the time nor the place for this conversation." Dale's voice was resolute. "Children are a blessing, and Henry is no exception. I talked to him out in the hall a minute ago, and he really is a great kid. You should give Georgia and Henry a chance. You claim Colin is stubborn, but from where I'm standing, you are the stubborn one here."

"Mom...I love Georgia, and I'm sure I'll love her son too. Please trust me on this, and give her a chance."

Tears pooled in his mother's eyes, and she hung her head as she took hold of his hand. "I'll try."

"You'll do better than try." His father squeezed her shoulder. "You're going to give her a call in the morning and ask her to come visit Colin. Then we will take Henry to the cafeteria for ice cream so she will have a chance to talk to our son without you hovering. I have a feeling you will completely change your mind about the boy when you spend some time with him; he really is an interesting little guy."

Nodding her head in resignation, she looked again at Colin. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I'll apologize to Georgia tomorrow and try to have a fresh start with her."

"Good. And mom?"

"Yes?"

"Call Julia and tell her to go home." He saw her slowly nod at his request as he fell into a restful sleep.

***

The next morning Georgia got Henry dressed and ready for his doctor's appointment early. Henry slept with her again though they went to the furniture store and got him a new bed. He started out in his own room, but after a nightmare left him in tears and a cold sweat, she thought it best that he sleep with her.

Just as they arrived at the physician's office, her phone rang. Noticing the number was unfamiliar, she was tempted to let the call go to voicemail. After checking the time, she found she was fifteen minutes early for the scheduled appointment, so she quickly answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Georgia?"

"Yes, it is. Who is this?" The voice sounded familiar, but she couldn't seem to place it.

"This is Maggie...Colin's mom. Would you be free to swing by and visit Colin sometime today? He's been asking about you. Dale took a real liking to Henry, and we were hoping we could take him to the cafeteria here in the hospital for some ice cream to give you a chance to have an uninterrupted visit."

Speechless, Georgia wondered if the woman on the phone was really Colin's mother or an imposter who stole her phone.

"Georgia...are you still there?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm still here. I should be able to stop by after Henry's doctor's appointment."

"Good. We look forward to seeing you." Mrs. Beckner's voice held a genuine tone, and Georgia wondered if God was in the midst of answering yet another prayer request.

"See you in a little while." Georgia hung up with hope springing in her heart. Maybe Maggie would like her after all.