Chapter 43- Superman

After the appointment, Georgia and Henry made their way to the hospital. As they walked through the lobby, some brightly colored balloons in the gift shop caught Henry's attention. "Mommy! Let's bring Colin some balloons!"

"I think it would be more appropriate if you called him Mr. Beckner," she corrected him.

"Ok...let's bring Mr. Beckner some balloons!"

"We'll take a look, and you can pick one out." Allowing him to lead her into the gift shop, they stopped before the display of balloons. She watched as his eyes scanned the assortment.

"That one! It's perfect, isn't it, mom?" His little finger pointed in such a way to give her no idea which balloon he found ideal.

"Which one, Henry?"

"The Superman one." His tone indicated the balloon in question should have been her obvious choice as well. "He's a superhero, so he needs the Superman balloon."

"Who am I to argue with that?" Motioning for the employee, she asked for the Superman balloon to be filled with helium.

While they waited for her to return, they browsed the shop full of bric-a-brac.

Soon, Henry was grasping the balloon, and they headed to the elevators. "He's really gonna like this, huh mom?"

"Absolutely! It was so thoughtful of you to want to get it for him."

Henry beamed up at her, and her heart melted...she was so blessed.

Soon they arrived at the door to Colin's room. Henry was eager to rush in and give Colin the balloon, but Georgia hung back to take a deep breath and pray Mrs. Beckner would approve of her.

When she walked in, Henry was handing the balloon to Beckner who flashed a lopsided grin in her direction. "Mr. Beckner, we came for a visit, and I got you this balloon."

"Thanks, buddy. It was nice of you to think of me." He gently tousled the boy's hair as Henry looked up at him with eyes full of admiration.

To Georgia's surprise, Maggie met her by the door and motioned for her to step out into the hall. "I owe you an apology."

"There's really no need-"

"Please, let me finish. I didn't treat you well at all yesterday, and I'm sorry. There is no excuse for my behavior. Will you please forgive me?"

The look of regret on her face brought tears to Georgia's eyes. "Of course I forgive you." Before she knew what was happening, Maggie wrapped her up in a warm hug and Georgia melted against her. After Charlie disappeared her parents stopped showing her affection, so for the first time in years she enjoyed the closeness of a motherly embrace.

"Now let us take Henry downstairs for some ice cream. I'm sure you and Colin have things you need to talk about." Maggie took her hand and led her into the room.

"Has Mr. Wigglesworth helped you feel better, Mr. Beckner?" Henry's question brought a smile to her lips.

"You know, Henry, he really has. I can't thank you enough for lending him to me; I'm feeling so much better already. Do you know what I wish though?"

"What?"

"I wish you wouldn't call me Mr. Beckner...I'd rather you call me Colin."

"Mommy said it's ap-appro-priate for me to call you Mr. Beckner." Henry's voice was solemn and evoked a chuckle from both Dale and Maggie.

"Do you think she would mind very much if you call me Colin?"

"Would you mind very much, mommy?" Both of them looked up at her with puppy dog eyes, and there was no way she could refuse.