Chapter 2

Taeyhung’s POV

It had already been three weeks since his best friend had broken up with his little sister. Both of them seemed to be pretty content with their situation and they wouldn’t tell him any details of the reason behind the break up. And that really bugged Taehyung.

The thing about ‘something missing’ Jungkookie had told him just didn’t make sense to him. Kookie, as well as his sister were two of the most important people in his life; he loved them dearly and thought they matched each other perfectly.

He couldn’t understand why they’d suddenly break up when none of them did something that made the other hate them. They acted like they had been friends this whole time and not like they broke up just a couple of weeks ago, so they were still on good terms and that made the mystery even bigger for Taehyung.

This, together with the guilt he had for feeling strangely relieved right after his sister informed him that they’d separated, drove him to the idea to get them back together -  or at least find out why they couldn’t do so anymore.

That’s why for the last two weeks he had gotten on Kookie’s nerves by talking about his sister nonstop or just asking straight out for the reason. The answer was always the same – except for the tone that went from careful, to hurt, to now clearly irritated – that something was missing. He always told him this by looking him in the eyes, making it clear it was the truth and that he wouldn’t say anything else, even though Taehyung often had the impression that Jungkook was hiding something from him.

“...really good! You should come and watch him dance some time.”

“Eh?” Taehyung has been so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t notice Jungkook talking to him.

“Where did you drift off? Or more like where did you tune in again? You probably didn’t hear much of what I said, right?” Jungkook said it while smiling at him. He knew him well enough to not be surprised by Taehyung getting lost in thoughts sometimes.

“That I should watch someone dance?”

Jungkook laughed and Taehyung asked himself once again how his sister could let someone as kind and cute like this little bunny in front of him just slip away.

“So I just led a whole conversation with myself. Well, you caught at least the last sentence, so I should probably be honoured you spared me that much of your time.”

“You should, peasant! Now kneel down and bring up your concern to the gorgeous me again and I’ll consider it if I feel enough honesty.” Tae replied with his best arrogant nasal voice he could muster up before they both broke out in laughter.

Once they calmed down Jungkook told him about a new guy in his dance course that seemed to be a real dancing king, judged by the amount of respect and awe in Jungkook’s voice. The younger was a golden child, good in everything he did, so it was pretty hard to impress him. Until yet only Jung Hoseok had managed to do so in dancing and seeing how Kookie gushed over this new guy called Jimin left Taehyung curious.
He definitely wanted to meet him!

“The studio is open to public views right? Maybe I could come together wi-“

“If you bring up your sister one more time or actually dare to drag her to a practice I’m gonna kick your ass so you won’t be able to sit on it for a week!”

“Ok, ok. Didn’t know you get that grumpy when you miss someone.”

“Imagine how grumpy I’m going to be missing you after I killed you if you don’t shut up.”

“I just don’t get what it is that you don’t love about my sister! She’s so cute and loveable and really funny, she’s practically a mini version of me. And you love me Kookie! Didn’t you once say you’d date me if I were a girl? She is your girl version of me!”

"What did you say?" Taehyung asked because Jungkook mumbled something he couldn't understand.

“Why do you even want to match us together at all cost?”

Taehyung was pretty sure that this wasn't what he had said before but answered the question anyway: “Because you’re perfect for each other! You looked so well together. And just imagine how cool it would be to be brothers-in-law! We’d actually be related.”

“Imagine how cool it would be if we break up with a fight next time. What do you think whose side you’ll take if you have to choose?”

Jungkook said it to turn his enthusiasm into a joke by imitating him and shut him up but there was truth to his words that let Taehyung’s blood run cold. He hadn’t thought about that. He never imagined that they’d break up with an ugly fight because they were both too loveable as that anyone would want to break up. But they already did it once. And if Taehyung had to take a side... It would break him.

They were both too important to his life as that he could imagine losing one.
Letting it sink in his brain a new thought formed in his mind.

“Did you break up because of that? Because you feared you’d get into a fight someday and that would put me into a troublesome position? Are you saying you broke up because of me?!”

Taehyung could feel how Jungkook tensed up even though they weren’t even touching.

His blood drained. He was right! It was his fault the two gave up on their chance of being happy together.

“No Tae, it’s not that.”

“Don’t lie! I know you too well. God Kookie! That’s not what-“

He was shut up when Jungkook laid a hand over his mouth.

“Will you listen before you panic, please. We didn’t end our relationship because of a possible future dispute.”

Taehyung tried to calm down and tugged at Jungkook’s arm until he removed his hand.

“But I AM the reason you two broke up! Why? What did I do?”

“Hmpf!" Jungkook snorted, looking away.

“What?!” Taehyung could see that Jungkook was fighting himself whether to tell him or not.

“You mentioned it before... that I once told you I would date you if you were a woman, right?”

“Yeah. What about it?”

“Hmm, seems like you can cancel the part ‘if you were a woman’.”

Taehyung needed a minute to comprehend what Jungkook just told him. What Kookie, his best friend since childhood, just confessed to him. When the whole meaning finally got through his thick head he was left standing with an open mouth and big eyes that threatened to pop out any second.

“D-Did... Did you... Do you have... Did you just CONFESS?!” The last word came out too loud but Taehyung didn’t care! His best friend just outed himself and confessed to him in one go after breaking up with his female sister just three weeks ago!

“Yeah I did so please don’t start to freak out now. I promise I won’t jump you but you should probably refrain from stripping naked in front of me in the future."

“How long?”

“How long you should refrain from stripping naked?”

“How long did you have feelings for me?”

Taehyung felt bad. It must have hurt Jungkook to have one-sided feelings and not being able to say anything. And to top it off, his insensitive self didn’t even notice anything.

“Actually I don’t know when it started. Probably already for a while but I realised it only after a certain talk with a certain exgirlfriend around three weeks ago.”

Realization hit Taehyung like a baseball bat in the guts and he remembered all the tactless things he said to him in the past three weeks.

“Kookie... I’m so sorry!”