Part One-Feeling Weird

"Okay. So. King Louis XIV was born on September 5th of 1638. Just for fun, can anybody tell me how old he would be today?" Mrs. Tutwiler turned from the chalkboard to face the class. One of Mrs. Tutwiler's star students, Bailey Picket, hesitated for a millisecond before shooting her hand up. Mrs. Tutwiler glanced to Bailey's usual competition-Cody Martin-to see if he was also raising his hand, but he wasn't. She looked back to Bailey. "Yes, Bailey?" Bailey smiled. "Three hundred and eighty years old." She said proudly. In the back corner of the room, Cody's twin brother Zack scoffed. "Took you long enough to answer..." He mumbled. Bailey rolled her eyes, as did Mrs. Tutwiler. "Very good, Bailey. King Louis XIV died on..." Mrs. Tutwiler was cut off by Bailey. "On September 1st, 1715 from Gangrene." Mrs. Tutwiler smiled forcefully. "Right again, Bailey." She turned back to the board and continued her lecture. She happened to notice that not once did Cody Martin raise his hand, answer a question, or participate in any way throughout the whole class. When the dismissal bell rang, Mrs. Tutwiler got Cody's attention before he could leave. "Hey, Cody?" Cody absentmindedly looked up at her. "Are you feeling alright? You, didn't raise your hand to answer anything once." She asked. Cody smiled in a way that was obviously not genuine. "Oh, uh, yeah. I'm fine, Mrs. Tutwiler. I just, didn't get a lot of sleep last night. I'm kinda tired. See you tomorrow." He grabbed his backpack and hurried out of the classroom. Mrs. Tutwiler watched him leave nervously. It was blatantly obvious to her that Cody had lied.

And Cody never lied.
_________________________
Out on the Sky Deck, Cody, Zack, Woody, Bailey, London, and Marcus sat at the Easy Squeezy juice bar. Bailey, Marcus, and Woody had their school binders out and were trying to do homework, while Zack worked behind the counter, and London was looking through her giant expensive purse for some fancy make-up product. "Ugh, I hate this stupid bag. I can't find anything in here! There's not even enough room for all of my day jewelry." The prissy girl complained. Zack glanced over the counter at London's bag. "I'm pretty sure you could fit the whole state of Texas in that purse." He commented. London huffed in annoyance and continued searching. Cody sat on the far end of the group, staring at the wall. Woody, who had noticed Cody's trance-like state, was waving his hand in front of the other teen's face. "Uh, guys...I think Cody's hypnotized." Everyone looked over at him. "Cody?" Marcus said loudly. Cody didn't move. "Gasp! Maybe he's dead!" London said, her eyes widening. Bailey shook her head. "He's not dead, London. He's breathing." She stood up and walked over to him. "Cody? Earth to Cody?" She said, shaking his shoulder lightly. Cody jumped slightly, and looked at her. "Huh? Oh, sorry...What was the question?" He asked. Everyone hesitated.

"Nobody asked you a question...We were saying your name over and over but you weren't responding." Bailey told him. Cody blinked. "Oh. Sorry, I was thinking." He said. "There's a shock." Zack mumbled. Bailey shot him a look that clearly read 'shut up'. "Everything okay?" Marcus asked Cody. Cody nodded. "Yeah, everything's fine! Totally fine! Hey, um, I think I'm gonna head back to the cabin and...make up some flash cards for the test." He said, standing up. "What test?" Woody questioned him. "The test we have coming up. See you guys later!" Cody said quickly, and he walked away. Bailey frowned as she returned to her seat. "That was weird." She thought out loud. "Nah, that's just Cody being Cody." Zack said without looking up. Everyone else seemed to agree with Zack as they all continued what they were doing before Cody was brought up, so Bailey did the same.
_______________________
The next day, Cody seemed even more out of it. Again, he didn't participate in any class discussions, and he turned Bailey down when she asked if they could hang out later. Bailey had pushed him, telling him that she wanted to spend some time with him properly, but Cody just declined. He simply went from class to his cabin, where he stayed for the rest of the day. Only Bailey and Mrs. Tutwiler seemed to notice his strange behavior, though they never expressed that notice to anyone else.

Cody locked himself in the bathroom of his cabin, his head spinning as he leaned against the sink. His thoughts raced, playing back his conversation with Bailey.

"Hey Cody! Wanna hang out later after last class?"
"Hey, Bailey. Um, I'm actually kind of tired. Maybe some other time."
"We don't have to do anything exciting. I was just thinking we could watch a movie or something. We haven't really hung out in a while."
"Uh-I'm, sorry Bailey. I'm just really tired. Some other time, okay?"

Cody pinched his eyes shut as he felt his chest get painfully tight. His lungs began betraying him, inhaling and exhaling faster and faster as each second passed. What was happening to him? Was it a heart attack? No-Cody knew it wasn't a heart attack. This was the third episode he'd had in four days, if it was a heart attack Cody would be dead by now. The only other thing that crossed Cody's mind was a panic attack. But, that wouldn't make any sense. Why would he be having panic attacks? Why all of a sudden? And, for what reason? He didn't have any reason to be have by panic attacks, he was completely fine...Wasn't he?

Cody coughed as he began shaking, and he slowly lowered himself to the floor. Luckily, Woody was out of the cabin at the moment. He felt as though his insides had gone cold. Cody knew that there was nothing he could do to stop it now. He just had to let the episode run its course.