Part Seven- One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

Cody stood outside Mr. Moseby's office, staring intently at the doorknob. Every atom in his body was screaming at him to run. But he'd promised Woody he'd talk to Moseby. He'd promised Bailey.

He'd promised Zack. He couldn't let his brother down.

Cody took a deep breath, and raised his hand. He knocked on the door.

"Come in." Mr. Moseby's voice said from the other side of the door. Cody hesitated. Again, he stared at the doorknob.

"Come in." Mr. Moseby spoke again. Cody took a second deep breath, and opened the door.

"Aah, Cody. Right on time. Come in, have a seat." Mr. Moseby said, not looking up from his paperwork. Cody swallowed with difficulty. He closed the door behind him and sat down in the chair on the opposite side of Moseby's desk. He set his backpack down beside him. Now, Mr. Moseby looked up. "Cody you don't have to be nervous. It's just me." He said, smiling gently at the teen. Cody nodded, but continued to avoid eye contact. He heard Mr. Moseby sigh.

"How was school today?" He asked. Cody swallowed. He shrugged, and said nothing. "What was that? I didn't hear you." Mr. Moseby said. Cody rolled his eyes.

"It was fine." He mumbled.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to speak up. I'm getting old you know, and my hearing is fading." Mr. Moseby joked. Cody cracked a small smile.

"It was fine, Mr. Moseby. And you're not old." He repeated his previous statement and added on the last sentence. Mr. Moseby smiled as well.

"Well thank you. Now, I understand that you're nervous. Can you please look at me?" He asked. Cody hesitated. "It's alright. It's just you and me." Mr. Moseby added. Cody glanced up at the man sitting across the desk. Mr. Moseby smiled.

"Thank you. Okay, can you please tell me what's been going on? I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure. You know better than anyone what's been going on with you." He asked.

Cody shook his head. "I...I don't." He said quietly.

"You don't what?" Mr. Moseby asked, frowning.

"I don't know what's been going on with me." Cody clarified.

Mr. Moseby nodded. "Can you try to explain some of it?" He asked.

Cody hesitated. "Can you promise you won't tell anyone?" He asked nervously.

"If that would make you more comfortable, yes. Yes I promise." Mr. Moseby complied.

Cody took a deep breath. Here goes everything...He thought.

"I...I've been having these...episodes. Where, I can't breathe properly. And, my head goes foggy. My heart starts racing, and I get dizzy. My hands start tingling. My stomach churns, and...I'm scared out of my mind. I get really claustrophobic, and like hyper aware of everything and everyone that's around me. My whole body starts shaking, but, I start sweating too. And no matter what I do, I can't breathe. On top of that, I'm tired. I'm exhausted all the time. And, it's like I just don't care anymore. Or I'm too tired to care...about school or going out with Bailey or hanging with my friends. I just, lose interest in everything I used to enjoy. And all I want to do is lie in bed. My whole body feels heavy, and I just have no motivation." Cody explained quietly.

Mr. Moseby nodded, listening intently and frowning every so often. "Can you tell me, which cane first? The episodes or the lethargy and lack of motivation?" He asked.

Cody pushed some of his hair out of his eyes. He shrugged. "I don't really know. They both just sort of...Happened. I think the episodes, maybe?" He actually looked up at Mr. Moseby now. Mr. Moseby looked at him.