Part Five- I Don't Care Anymore

It was some time after 11:00 at night-well past curfew for the high-schoolers attending the school on deck. Cody stood on the deck just below the Sky Deck, leaning on the railing. He stared down at the ocean water, deep in thought. People moved and talked around him. Nobody questioned if he attended the school, or if he should be in bed...Nobody noticed him. He liked it.

Cody thought about the past few days. He didn't know what was going on with himself, fully. At this point, he knew something had changed. He didn't care about being the best in his classes as much as he used to. He didn't even feel that bothered about missing class. He didn't feel as competitive towards Bailey as he did before these episodes started. He felt tired all the time, but he didn't want to sleep. He didn't even feel effected by being out passed curfew. Normally, he would've been in his cabin an hour before curfew. But now, he didn't mind. The ocean was kind of pretty.

"Cody Martin?" A voice behind him said. Cody tensed, and his heart dropped. The feeling didn't go away, but he didn't turn and apologise profusely for being out past curfew. He didn't beg for mercy at the feet of whoever was behind him. Instead, he just kept looking at the ocean below the ship.

Footsteps approaching. "Cody?" The voice said again.

Cody knew it was Mr. Mosby. He'd recognise the manager's voice anywhere. He still felt his stomach flipping, but not in an 'I'm about to get in trouble' way. More of a 'No, no. Please go away.' way.

Footsteps got closer.

"Cody? Can you hear me?"

Cody sighed. He knew Mr. Mosby wasn't going to leave him alone. He swallowed, and spoke.

"Yeah. I hear you." His voice was quiet.

Mr. Mosby walked next to the boy fully. "It's nearly 11:15." He said. Cody didn't take his eyes off of the water. He shrugged. "I know." He said. Mr. Mosby raises his eyebrows. "Normally you'd be asleep by now." He said. Cody shrugged again. "I know." He repeated. Mr.  Mosby stares at him. "Is it that bad?" He asked. Now, Cody frowned. "Is what 'that bad'?" He asked. Mr. Mosby looked down. "Whatever's going on with you." He replied.

Oh.

Cody didn't answer him. He kind of wanted to say 'No, of course not!'....Kind of.

Mr. Mosby watched Cody's body move evenly with his breathing. It was nice to see him breathing normally, rather than the panic stricken hyperventilating that occurred mere hours prior. "Cody. You know you're breaking the rules by being out here." Mr. Mosby ventured. Cody ignored him completely.

"You ever notice how the color of the water changes the farther out you go?" He asked quietly.

Mr. Mosby looked at him. "Cody. You're breaking the rules." He reiterated. Again, the blonde ignored him.

"We haven't seen any dolphins or whales in a while. Then again, we are kind of in a weird spot. We're not close to any migration pattern areas right now." Cody noted.

"Cody!" Mr. Mosby said, his voice more concerned that strict. Finally, Cody looked at him. Mr. Mosby met Cody's tired eyes. Mr. Mosby shook his head. "What's going on with you?" He asked quietly. Cody shrugged. "Who cares?" He asked. He walked away.

"C-Cody! Wait!" Mr. Mosby said. "I'm going to my cabin. You can follow me if you want." Cody said loud enough for Mosby to hear as he kept walking. Mr. Mosby, again taken aback, followed the teen.

He wasn't lying. Mr. Mosby followed Cody all the way back to his cabin. When he unlocked his door, Cody turned around to look at the worried manager. "Goodnight Mr. Mosby. Sorry I was out past curfew. Won't happen again." He said in a monotone voice. Mr. Mosby blinked. "Meet me in my office tomorrow after class. Alright?" He asked. Cody nodded. "Alright. Goodnight Cody." Mr. Mosby said. Cody ventured into his cabin and closed his door. Mr. Mosby stared at the door for a moment, before turning away, and heading towards Maya's cabin.
_________________________
The children were strewn about the cabin. All were asleep except for Zack, who sat in a corner, staring at a wall. When Mr. Mosby opened the door, he stood quickly. "Hey, guys!" He said. "Guys! Wake up! Mosby's here!!" He said louder. Slowly but surely, the others awoke. Once they noticed Mr. Mosby standing by the door, they sat up on full alert. Mr. Mosby smiled sadly at them. "Did you find him??" Zack asked. Mr. Mosby nodded. "He was on the second deck, just...Looking at the water." He said. Everyone frowned. "He was out past curfew?" Bailey asked, taking note of the time on Maya's alarm clock next to her bed. Mr. Mosby nodded.

"What did he say?" Woody asked. Mr. Mosby sighed. "Not much. Some stuff about dolphins and whales and their migration patterns. Before I could really say anything, he started to leave. I called him back, but he told me he was going back to his cabin. He said I could follow him if I didn't believe him, so I did. And, he went to his cabin. He said goodnight and apologised for staying out past curfew. I told him to meet me somewhere after class tomorrow. That was it." Mr. Mosby explained. "That's it??" Zack asked. Mr. Mosby nodded. "He didn't say anything else?" Bailey asked. Again, Mr. Mosby responded by shaking his head. Zack looked down. Maya walked over to him and put her hand on his shoulder.

"Where are you gonna be meeting him tomorrow?" Woody asked. "Perhaps it's best if that is between Cody and I. If you would like, I can meet you all back here tomorrow after class and talk to you about what happened." Mr. Mosby suggested. Everyone nodded profusely. "Alright then. For now, go ahead and go back to your cabins for the night. Woody, don't pester him too much about today, okay? Just let him rest." Mr. Mosby said. Woody nodded. "Okay." He agreed. The children dispersed, and Mosby left Maya's cabin with them.
___________________________
Woody opened his cabin door and walked in. Cody was sat in his bed, reading. "Where have you been?" He asked when Woody walked past. 'I could ask you the same thing.' Was what Woody wanted to say. Instead, he simply shrugged. "Hanging out with Zack and Maya." He said. Cody just nodded. Woody walked into the bathroom to change and get ready for bed.

When he actually climbed into his own bed, Cody moved to sit on the edge of his, facing Woody. "Um. Hey, Woody?" Cody said quietly, staring intently at the floor. "Yeah?" Woody asked, curious. Cody hesitated. "What is it?" Woody asked, not wanting to push the other teen, but also very worried about his friend. "I'm-sorry. I've, been a jerk lately. I just...want you to know that I'm sorry." Cody said nervously. Woody nodded. "You haven't been a jerk." He said. Cody snickered sarcastically. "I've been worse than a jerk." He muttered. "No you haven't. You've just been upset." Woody ventured. Cody nodded. "Well, anyways. I just wanted to say I'm sorry. And, if you could let the others know that I'm sorry, I'd really appreciate it." He said, glancing up at his bushy-haired roommate. Woody nodded again. "Of course I will. But, you can tell them yourself, you know." He said. Cody smiled sadly at Woody. "Thanks." He said.

The two sat in silence for a little while before Woody spoke up again.

"Hey, Cody? Um. So, what's been going on with you lately?"

Cody shook his head.

"I don't know. And honestly, I don't care anymore."

The blonde glanced at Woody one last time before settling back into his bed. Cody turned over to face the wall, his back to Woody. "Night Woody." Cody said quietly. Woody stared at Cody's form on his bed for a moment before returning the statement. "Night, Cody..." Cody leaned up and turned off the lamp on his bedside table. Woody looked at Cody for a moment longer before switching off his own bedside lamp and lying down. He lied awake in the dark for a while, hoping upon hope that Mr. Mosby would be able to get whatever was eating at Cody out of him tomorrow after school.