0.1

"Hey, Gonzalez!" Shane Walsh sat on his desk halfway through devouring a strawberry glazed donut with sprinkles.

     He looked across the room to a woman who just entered. She had long brown hair that was braided Lara Croft style, freckled nutmeg skin, and was wearing her police uniform. Her last name was Gonzalez, which everyone she met often found strange due to her skin tone, and she was only ever referred to as Gonzalez. She doubted that anyone actually knew her first name. Maybe Rick did, but that was a big maybe.

     "Rick bought donuts for everyone," Shane spoke with a smile. "Come over here and get one before these neanderthals eat them all."

     Gonzalez shook her head softly. "No thank you. I don't like donuts."

     Shane gave her a bewildered laugh. Rick showed up with an amused smile and a cup of coffee in his hand.

    "How do you not like donuts?" Shane smacked his knee as he laughed. "What's next? You don't like puppies?"

     Gonzalez shrugged her shoulders. "I have a beautiful Bichon Frise at home. His name is Benji."

     Walsh shook his head. A soft brown curl fell to his forehead. He was due for a cut soon. "You sure are something else. Ya- ya know sometimes I think you just aren't human. Sometimes I think that you might be a robot, or even something supernatural."

     Gonzalez tilted her head. "I do not understand that reference."

     Shane shook his head. "There you go again."

      "If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter -"

       "What are you even going on about?" Shane asks cutting her off.

       "It's a joke, sir," an intern spoke from his desk.

      Shane raised an eyebrow at him. "Excuse me?"

    The intern gulped shyly. "It's a reference from a popular TV show. She's being funny."

       "Well ain't that a bitch?" Shane scoffed. He turned to Gonzalez with a cheeky smile. "I guess you just might be human after all. Emphasis on might."

    Rick slapped Shane on his shoulder. "Leave the poor girl alone," he chuckled. "You can flirt with her later. We've got patrol to do."

     The two men grabbed their gear and head out the door. "See you later G."

     "God I hope not."

~~~~~~~

     Gonzalez sipped on her coffee behind her desk. Her shift was over, but she wanted to stick around for a bit longer. She had nothing better to do. She was busy picking at her nails when her cell rang. She rolled her eyes as she who was calling.

     "I don't do booty calls, Shane."

   "Rick's been shot!"

      Gonzalez leaned forward in her chair. "Has the perp been caught?"

      "Well, yes." Shane was distraught, obviously.

     Gonzalez took a sip of her coffee. "Has Rick been taking to the hospital?"

     "Yeah, yeah. His family is here and everything."

     She raised her eyebrow at him even though she knew he couldn't see her. "And he's alive?"

    "Yes."

    "Shane?"

      "Yeah?"

    Gonzalez took a long sip of her coffee. "Then why the fuck did you call me?"

    When Shane couldn't find a plausible answer Gonzalez hung up on him.

~~~~~~

    Gonzalez calmly packed her bag. She included a single change of clothes with extra underwear, four boxes of ammo, a hair brush, a toothbrush, three boxes of granola bars, an extra pair of running shoes, a ring given to her by her ex boyfriend (whom she admittedly hopes caught the deadly virus going around), four guns that she casually had lying around, a wide tooth comb, a razor, extra ammo, a hunting knife, some rope, a reusable water bottle, another hunting knife, and a pack of pads.

     Her cell started to ring. She immediately knew who it was, seeing as she only gave one person her number.

     "Grr. I'm gonna eat you," she answered jokingly.

        "Now you joke? Gonzalez, the hospital got over run. Rick... Rick is dead. They're evacuating the city. Where are you? I'll come get you."

     Gonzalez pursed her lips in thought. "Eh. No thanks."

       "No thanks? Gonzalez you tell me where you are. Are you at your house? What's your address? I knew getting your number wouldn't be enough."

     Gonzalez rolled her eyes. "You talk too much," she whispered. She hung up on him.

     Gonzalez walked into her bathroom and looked into the mirror. She stared at the hair on her head and, in split decision, pulled out some clippers. It was getting pretty hot outside anyways.