Day 1: Katarina's Not a Lady

I played with my silver fork impatiently as we waited for the food. I noticed that Garen occasionally turned to look at me, and when he did, I played with my fork even more aggressively and scratched the edge of the table with the butter knife, just to annoy him.

"You should probably tone it down a bit," Syndra whispered, seeing that I was still glaring at Garen, my teeth bared.

"How can someone always be in such a bad mood," Talon said, sighing. "Even if I was frustrated, I wouldn't let my anger out with that whimsy little butter knife."

"You wanna go? Huh?" I banged on the table harshly, water in our glasses vibrating and jumping out onto the table.

"Guys, please!" Cass said loudly. I still looked at Talon angrily and he at me cheekily.

"Sorry Talon, but I'm on Kat's side. Not anyone has been through what she has with Garen," Syndra said, giving Garen a dark look, then turned back to Talon and chirped, "You should give her some space."

"That's not fun though," Talon replied, sighing, shaking his head.

"She's actually been through a lot though. If she finally gets really angry one day, do you think anyone on Runeterra will still be alive?" Syndra said.

"I will," Talon laughed, "I know her tricks so I can run away."

"Bastard," I muttered under my breath and kicked him near his balls under the table with the heel of my shoes.

"What the hell, Kat?" Talon yelped, bending over, his head crashing on the table. I laughed loudly, being the sadist I was.

"Speaking of Garen, how did you become friends with Katarina?" Cass asked Syndra, completely ignoring me, as Zed finally made up his mind to accompany Talon to the bathroom.

"We're similar in a lot of ways. She's full of spice and I'm a snake, always ready to pick out someone's faults. We are solo mid champions, do tons of damage, and enjoy it. Kat and I have a lot in common... but I guess it's really the dramas we went through that really pulled us together," Syndra answered, grinning, nudging my arm encouragingly with her elbow.

"I hope the drama you were involved in weren't as illegal as Kat's though," Cass said, laughing weakly.

"Oh, no. Not that type of drama. We're talking about teenage romances and such," Syndra laughed heartily. "We really bonded by talking about Garen and Zed, and Akali and Shen's successful relationship."

"Oh yeah. I wonder how they're doing," I chimed in. I remembered watching Akali and Shen falling more in love every day, and envying that type of relationship. I wanted to prank them because I was bitter, and Syndra had to hold me back every time because she believed in time and chances. I guess it worked out for her in the end, because she finally got together with Zed.

"They're probably good," Syndra replied, then looked at Cass and said: "Anyway, that's the summary of how we became friends. I spent my days holding Katarina back from her nasty plans to ruin couples, and then I learned why she was bitter."

"Wow, what an evil sister I have," Cass remarked, and stared at me disappointedly. I raised an eyebrow and pulled out a dagger to polish it. Then, self-conscious, I peered out from the corner of my eyes to see if Garen reacted to anything Syndra just said.

The appetizers and cocktails were served just then, and Talon and Zed had come back from their bathroom trip. Talon, seeing that I had calmed down a bit, comfortably returned to his seat and sat, his guard down.

But being the nasty assassin I was, I felt the urge to and kicked Talon again, this time on the shin and a lot more lightly. He glared at me angrily but let it go, stabbing into his salad.

"So, Zed, is it okay if I spend some time with Syndra for the afternoon? I'll meet up with you for dinner," Syndra said, then spoon-fed Zed his own salad. I made childish puking noises, then only surrendered, pouting unhappily, and ate my own salad when Cass hissed.

"Sure," Zed replied cheerfully and spoon-fed Syndra her salad in exchange. I turned away, suppressing the urge to make more noises, but regretted it right away because I remembered if I escaped from Syndra and Zed, I'd have to meet Garen's stupid face.

I turned my head back to my own table.

"Kat, do you want to hit the swimming pool? And Cass, do you want to join us?" Syndra asked happily.

"I'll pass. I want to explore the museum wing in the hotel," Cass answered, shaking her head.

"I'll swim," I said.

"You guys do that, then. Talon and I can go to the gym, yeah?" Zed said, grinning, looking at Talon.

"I'm already a lot stronger than you, obviously, but sure," Talon replied, proudly flexing his arm muscles covered in scars. Zed did the same.

"You guys are weak," I said, rolling my eyes, and flexed, joining their pointless competition.

"Oh," the boys said and poked my muscles, then exclaimed simultaneously, "You're buff."

"Of course, it's Katarina we're talking about here," Syndra chirped. "She's as skilled an assassin as both of you are. Except she's also very pretty, and of course, not only ready for the Rift but also ready for the battle this afternoon, am I right?"

"There's a battle this afternoon?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes. The swimming pool. Are you ready to impress with your overly-fit body?" Syndra said, rather tired of my obliviousness and boyishness.

"Oh, that. Sure, but let me eat first. My pizza's here," I replied, paying zero attention to anything else Syndra and Cass said afterward, and shoved a whole piece into my mouth, although I knew they were judging me for being too unlady-like.

As I rapidly consumed a whole pizza, I heard Garen snort disapprovingly and Lux make a face to make Garen shut up.

Then I turned my attention to Syndra and Cass, who were eating their steaks elegantly with forks and knives. In a bad mood, I kicked my shoes off, put one foot on my seat and stretched out another on the table. I grabbed my cocktail and slurped loudly.

"What's your problem? Move your foot!" Talon yelped, attempting to push my foot off the table.

"I have a problem with Garen!" I hissed quietly. "He's judging every one of my movements!"

"Do you want to leave then? We can get going since we both finished our food," Syndra suggested.

"But the dessert..." I said shyly.

"Don't act cute, stupid. Dessert's for the good girls, not you!" Talon exclaimed.

"Chill, bro," said Zed, "But I do vote for Kat to leave though. She's really not suitable for a restaurant like this... when she's angry."

"Okay, let's go then. I've eaten everything I want anyway, and I can find better dessert downtown." I said, standing up, and stuck a butter knife perpendicularly into the table as I walked away. Syndra chased after me quickly, dragging her spheres across the floor. We left the grill and walked toward our rooms together, after learning that our suites were close to each other.

"You know, after all this time, I still don't know why Garen and you broke up," Syndra said as we entered the elevator. We hadn't been talking as we walked, because she knew not to breathe a word when I was angry.

"If you get me drunk enough, I'll tell you," I sighed.

"That's impossible. I'll be drunk before you," Syndra exclaimed, her pupilless purple eyes widening.

"I mean, if Ahri or someone's here, you can probably get me drunk enough," I laughed. Back in training days at the Institute, I occasionally participated in girl-nights for fun, where I had the honour to watch all of them get drunk, like Syndra. I remembered laughing at them with Ahri, who was also strong against the effects of alcohol.

"Do I have a better shot getting the story out of Garen then?" she scoffed.

"Bullshit, you don't even know him," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Well, I'll think of a way to get the story out of you by the end of the week," Syndra said, grinning, "but first, let's get changed and hit the swimming pool."