16. Coming Home

After Sirius had filled out all the parchmentwork for adopting Harry, he, Harry, and Hermione walked to the main atrium of the ministry, where Sirius said quietly, "I'd suggest you floo to my house rather than use your portkeys. You don't want to be caught with them by the ministry."

"Good idea," said Hermione, and so Sirius apparated while the two teenagers flooed.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Sirius arrived at Number Twelve Grimmauld Place for the first time in years to find that the lights were out, as he expected. He knew that everybody had lives of their own and couldn't wait around for him while he filled out form after bloody form. He was a bit surprised that Remus hadn't had time to speak with him after the trial, but he figured Moony probably had something important to do. Sirius vowed to make sure to visit his oldest and dearest friend tomorrow. He pulled out his first wand, which had been returned to him when he left the courtroom after all those years, and turned on the magical lights and watched as Hermione and then Harry came through the fireplace.

Hermione said, "I think I'll leave you two alone to talk. I need to tell my parents the good news. Congratulations again, Sirius!" She then muttered something and disappeared as Harry and Sirius bid her goodbye.

Sirius turned to Harry awkwardly. "Well, er, I guess we're part of the way to my becoming your guardian."

"Er, yes we are. I'm really thankful that you want to adopt me."

Padfoot looked into Harry's eyes. "I know it might seem a bit awkward living together when we haven't known each other for two months yet, but I know it'll work out."

Harry smiled. "I know it'll be better than the Dursleys!"

Sirius frowned for a moment, but then smiled again as he looked around. "The living room looks great! I hardly recognize the place! Why don't you show me everything your decorator has done?"

Sirius started walking toward the stairs before he was stopped by a soft pop and a few crashes behind him. He spun around, wand at the ready, to find, "Remus!" along with Hermione, Adam Granger, Marissa Granger, Ginny, Ron, Fred, George, Molly, Arthur, Hagrid, McGonagall, and Dumbledore. Many of them were holding a portkey. By the smile on Harry's face, Sirius could tell that this was planned.

The werewolf walked up to Sirius and embraced him like a brother. "You didn't think I'd just leave without saying anything, did you? I had to help get everything ready once we knew the verdict."

"Get what ready?" asked Sirius.

"This," said Albus, as he tapped his wand onto what seemed like mid-air, only to reveal that a table filled with gifts had been disillusioned.

In the meantime, Hermione had walked over to the kitchen and opened the door, which caused their senses to be bombarded by the aromas of a great feast. The brunette said, while pointing at Molly, "Mrs. Weasley made all this and charmed it to stay hot, and then I charmed the door to stop the smell of food from leaving the kitchen."

Sirius turned to Mrs. Weasley, and said charmingly, "Thank you very much for putting forth all that effort for someone you didn't even know. This looks like an excellent feast."

Molly blushed. "Well, after Ron, Ginny, Remus, and Albus all vouched for your innocence, I figured you probably haven't had a decent meal for the last thirteen years."

Sirius chuckled. "Well, I had a few good meals where I've been hiding for the past month, but nothing like this. It's good to meet you."

"I'm Arthur Weasley," said Molly's husband as he stretched out his arm to shake Sirius' hand. "It's good to meet you. Congratulations!"