30. The Truth

Supper on the evening of the first task was a joyous event, celebrating each champion's victory over their dragon, and most importantly, that none were seriously injured. Harry had managed to talk Charlie Weasley's boss out of announcing Harry's victory over the horntail and gift of its remains. He certainly didn't want the attention that announcement would make. Harry made it a point to walk up and congratulate Cedric on a job well done.

"Thanks, but Krum was the best, no matter what the points say," replied Cedric.

"You really impressed Hermione turning that rock into a dog," persisted Harry. "All Krum did was shoot it in the eyes. He got some of the other eggs smashed."

"I suppose, but judging by what I heard from one of the dragon tamers about your fight with the dragons, you'd have easily taken first place!"

"It was nothing. You'd have done..."

"You didn't tell me you killed a horntail! You just said you escaped the dragons. Those dragon tamers worship you now. I think they're starting a Harry Potter fan club!"

"I hope you're joking," he said, shaking his head in irritation.

"I don't know about the club, but they're telling everyone they meet about your fight."

"Brilliant! That's just what I need. More attention."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Instead of talking about the first task of the tournament, the next morning's Daily Prophet had an article written by Rita Skeeter that basically said that Harry didn't think that one dragon was enough to face. Therefore he snuck into the fenced in area with the dragons and killed one while they were sleeping. After that, the other dragons woke up and attacked, and he barely made it out alive.

"Ignore it," was the advice that Hermione gave him as he glared at the article.

Harry did his best to ignore the sniggers that came mainly from the Slytherin table. He didn't notice several students from the other houses telling each other what really happened according to the dragon handlers, reminding their classmates of the other lies that Skeeter had written.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

While Harry was 'ignoring' the article, several eyewitnesses, such as Charlie Weasley, were not. They apparated to the Daily Prophet headquarters to demand a retraction.

Charlie shouted at the editor, "That so-called reporter of yours just makes up stories to ruin people's reputations! She doesn't even bother to find out the facts! Every one of us saw Harry Potter thrown over the fence and forced to battle three dragons that were very much awake and come out on top! We can even provide you with the pensieve memories to prove it! None of us were approached for an interview about it! This isn't the first time she's lied about Harry either! I don't know why you print her fiction in your paper, but it's going to stop!"

"I don't have to listen to you!" the red-faced editor shouted back at Charlie and the others.

"We'll see about that!" he said and walked out of the office, followed by his coworkers.

"What now?" asked one when they exited the building, "Should we send some dragons to destroy the building?"

The others grinned at this idea. After a moment of contemplation, Charlie declared, "Maybe later. First we'll try another solution."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Later that day, Mrs. Weasley was relaxing in the living room of the Burrow with their Wireless on when it was time for a call-in talk show that was listened to by over half the magical population in Europe. She was stunned as she recognized the voice of the current caller.