24. Happy Birthday, Hermione

The next day at breakfast, Harry and his friends eagerly read the front page story of the Daily Prophet.

"New Minister of Magic Appointed

By Rita Skeeter

Because of the assassination of Minister Fudge, the Wizengamot spent well over a day in discussions over who to appoint as the new Minister of Magic. Four candidates were chosen. The most qualified by far was Delores Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister. Of course, the meddling old headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore vehemently opposed her. However, when it was suggested that he become a candidate, Dumbledore did a great service to our world by declining. He may love to oppose others, but doesn't want to actually do anything besides criticize.

Another candidate was Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Sports and Games. However, too many people, including this reporter, know how he mistakenly fed information to Death Eaters during the war. Anyone that foolish should not be considered for Minister of Magic.

The final candidate, who was appointed by a majority vote of the Wizengamot, is Patricus Vehosia, formerly the Ministry's ambassador to the United States of America. Of course, one wonders what to make of this man who hasn't spent more than a month at a time in Europe for over ten years. His wife is in fact a muggleborn American witch. How are we supposed to look up to someone like that? In this reporter's opinion..."

The article went on and on about how much better Delores Umbridge would have been as minister than Pat Vehosia. Harry sighed. "Have any of you heard of this guy?"

Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Hermione all shook their heads. Hermione said, "But we know that Professor Dumbledore didn't oppose him."

Ginny said, "I'm glad he stopped that Umbridge woman from taking office. You should have heard dad talking when Percy started working for her. If she were elected, the muggleborns would replace House Elves."

"Then I'm glad she didn't get in," said Neville.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

From then the days started flying by. Every Sunday they'd practice apparition at Grimmauld Place. Dumbledore taught Occlumency to Ginny on Mondays, Harry on Thursdays, and Hermione on Fridays. Harry and Hermione were staying at the top of their classes, while they helped Ron and Neville. Before they knew it, it was September 19th, Hermione's 15th birthday. Harry had managed to keep his plans completely secret from Hermione.

Since Harry and Hermione were always exercising alone in the morning, he figured that was the perfect time to begin. He was in the common room already when his girlfriend walked down the stairs.

"Happy birthday!" he said when she reached the bottom of the stairs. Before she could respond he pulled her into a quick kiss which she turned into a snog, putting her hands on the back of his head before they could separate.

When the need for air caused her to finally pull away, she smiled at him. "You remembered!" she said excitedly.

"Of course I remembered! What kind of git would forget his girlfriend's birthday?"

"I don't know. I'm just glad you didn't!"

"I figured after our workout I could give you my present."

She kissed him again.

"Sounds great. Let's hurry. I want to open it soon!"

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

An hour later, they were sitting in a corner of the common room with a half hour before breakfast when Harry handed her a present."

Her smile faltered momentarily as she said, "It feels like a book." She then gave him a smile that he thought looked fake.