Chapter 16

The days passed.

Regulus did not lose interest. It did not even seem to wane. If he was alone with Julian, he touched Julian—even innocently. He held Julian's hand when they walked alone in the gardens, he rested a hand on Julian's thigh when they sat together, and he slept with an arm slung over Julian.

The sex did not lessen. Regulus was...passionate. Insatiable, even. Sometimes Julian woke in the morning to Regulus already on top of him.

Still, they fought. They fought nearly as much as they fucked. Julian may have stopped refusing Regulus' attempts at romance, but he resisted nearly everything else. Regulus asked Julian to eat dinner in the Great Hall with him; Julian refused. Regulus asked Julian to attend a banquet honoring Regulus; Julian refused. Their arguments often ended with Regulus sulking. Julian rarely relented. It didn't matter. As much as Julian drew away, Regulus persisted.

Regulus quickly learned how to tempt Julian. He asked the kitchens to send up delicacies—sugar, figs, fritters, game with exotic spices—and he watched with relish as Julian's eyes widened at the sight of each one.

Regulus began inviting Julian on walks outside of the castle, and Julian accepted each invitation immediately. These walks quickly became the best part of Julian's day. They went on long walks around the lake at sunrise or sat on Regulus' balcony at sunset. At night, Regulus and Julian sat together on the settee to read by candlelight. Julian listened to Regulus read aloud and tried to read the words on the page. As Julian and Regulus grew closer, the fights didn't stop, but they grew fewer and far between, and lost some of their teeth.

"My father isn't dead." Julian said once. They had just fucked by candlelight, and Regulus was laying on the bed, resting his head against Julian's thigh. Regulus had just recounted a horrible story about his father beating Regulus' whipping boy when Regulus spoke out of turn to a visiting king.

Regulus pushed himself to his elbows to better look at Julian. "Pardon?"

"I tell everyone he's dead." Julian said, lifting his gaze to the chandelier hanging from the vaulted ceiling. "He's not. I never knew him."

"You're a bastard." Regulus said matter-of-factly,  not unkindly. "Did your mother speak of him?"

"No." Julian muttered. "I think she was ashamed."

Regulus watched Julian carefully, a little pityingly. Julian looked at Regulus and smiled weakly. "I've never told anyone that before." Julian said with a shaky laugh.

Julian began to share other things with Regulus that he had never told anyone, and Regulus did the same. Despite their growing closeness, it was evident that Regulus still did not trust Julian. Julian was never allowed to go on walks without Regulus. He could not even wander the corridors without a guard breathing down his neck. When they were together, Julian was treated as Regulus' lover. When they were apart, Julian was treated as his captive.

The days grew shorter; the mornings and nights grew cooler. By now, Julian had long forgotten how many nights he had spent in the castle.

One morning, Julian was sitting under an oak tree with a book propped against his thighs. He had been attempting to read, but the letters were too difficult. He had a dull ache in his temples from straining his eyes. Instead of reading, he watched Regulus spar with his combat instructor. Regulus was quick on his feet and strong, and he swung the sword like it weighed nothing.

Julian swallowed, watching Regulus' sword hit his opponent's shield with an alarming clang. Regulus forced his opponent back several steps. Julian dropped his gaze and lifted the collar of his shirt to his teeth, chewing it absently. He was growing frustrated by his imprisonment in the castle. How long would Regulus keep him? There was no end in sight, and Julian couldn't even fathom escape. Julian had thought by now that he would be closer to freedom.