Chapter 28

One bright, warm afternoon, Julian pittered around the farmhouse kitchens. He was in good spirits and whistled as he worked. The windows were thrown open, the black cat had stopped hissing at him, and he was making a feast for their midday meal. After fashioning a fishing pole, Julian had spent the morning at the creek. He had caught several silver fish and carried them back to the farmhouse. At the farmhouse, he gutted and roasted the fish.

Adelaide was at the market, selling chicken eggs and fish. Julian promised her a feast of roasted fish when she returned. Julian cut the fish and seasoned it with salt and rosemary.

It smelled delicious, and his stomach ached. Resisting temptation, he carried the roasted fish to the room where Adelaide's grandfather, Edmund, slept. He was a irritable old man, at least around Julian. He only recently stopped dropping hints that Venerois were shiftless, leeching wanderers. After all, Julian hadn't disappeared in the middle of the night after a free meal, and he hadn't robbed them blind. Julian had suffered all of the comments in silence.

"What's that?" Edmund said, sniffing the air. The room was only lit by the fire in the hearth, and Edmund was a mound of blankets on the bed.

"Roasted fish," Julian answered, dragging the chair closer to the bed. He sat down and handed the bowl to Edmund. The old man's hands shook as he took it from Julian. Adelaide often fed him by hand, but he was much too proud to let Julian feed him by hand.

"You caught this?" Edmund questioned, his gnarled hands shaking where he held the bowl.

"Yes, sir. I found some rusted hooks in the barn, and went down to the river this morning." Julian said, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms over his chest.

"You should've sold it." Edmund frowned at Julian. "Don't waste such fine food on me."

"Adelaide is selling the rest of the fish at the market now. We had more than enough. Enjoy it." Julian replied, pulling at his tunic. It was mid-afternoon, and a fire was burning in the hearth. The windows were all closed, and it was sweltering.

Edmund lifted the fish to his mouth. He chewed on it slowly. "S' good," He mumbled through his food.

Julian smiled. He knew Edmund would be happy with the roasted fish, despite that they could've fetched a few coins for it at the market.

"Those are my hooks," Edmund said, his hand shaking as he used the spoon to scoop up the fish. "I used to fish that river as a boy."

"I see why." Julian said. "It's a beautiful spot."

Edmund didn't acknowledge this, and they fell into a silence again. The only sound in the room was the crackling wood in the fireplace and Edmund's labored breathing. Julian watched the flames in the hearth. It was too pitiful to see the old man struggle to lift the food to his mouth. It took some time, but Edmund finished the fish. Julian accepted the dirty bowl and rose to his feet.

"Stay a moment, Julian," Edmund said, before suffering a fit of coughs. After his coughing subsided, he leaned back on his pillows and looked at Julian. "Adelaide tells me you are traveling through,"

Julian grimaced. "Well," He began awkwardly. "That was my plan, yes."

"You have stayed quite some time."

"Yes, I—er, I enjoy it here. You and Adelaide have been kind to me." Julian said slowly. He knew this moment was coming. Adelaide could only delay it for so long, but her grandfather was now going to send him packing. It was about time he made his way to Berleant, anyway.

Edmund eyed Julian carefully. "I'm not often wrong about people," He said gruffly. "But you have proven your worth around here. Adelaide tells me what you do for her, and that you do it without complaint."