Chapter |15|

Your point of view:

My shift finally ended and I am now at Kevin's house in the guest bedroom, I feel so exhausted physically and emotionally. I can't stop thinking about Lauren, how she came wanting to talk to me about us and how I acted towards her. I have never acted such a way towards her and it surprised me that I didn't just break down in front of her because that's all I wanted to do when I saw her.

When I turned on my phone after my shift was over I saw that I had a message from Lauren saying, 'You left? I saw the note.. please tell me that you are okay? And that you did not go back to your house. Y/n, I know that I ended things and I am sorry, really really sorry. You know I did not want to, but I had to. I didn't want you to get hurt, but you didn't have to leave. I didn't want you to leave. When you read this please respond, I know you'd just want to ignore me, leave me on read or what ever... where are you staying? I need to know if you're safe.'

I didn't respond to her, I know she's just concerned about where I am staying so that I don't get hurt again by my brother, but I need time, time away from her, time to get my shit together. This is what she wanted right? For her life not to be on the line? Not to have to constantly look over her shoulder to see if anyone saw her interlocking her fingers with my own? She owes me this, she owes me time away from her with no contact.

There's a knock on the guest bedroom door and I answer, "You can come in." I said turning around in the chair in front of the desk that is in the corner of the bedroom.

Kevin's mom Amaya opens the door and gives me a warm smile, "Hey, dinner is ready if you want to come down and eat. I made spaghetti."

Amaya has always been the mother figure I had needed in my life, I don't think she knows it but I really think of her as if she was my mother. She knows my favorite meals, what I am allergic to, she knows that I like to watch movies together with her, Kevin, and her husband because it's like the family activities and things a family would do that I never had experienced before. And most importantly, she loves me.

My life has kind of always been this shitty, I never got attention from my own parents, which I guess means I was neglected growing up. My parents would always fight over something. One time I had asked if we could have a meal together as a family and they agreed on that, probably because I was trying to make our family a family again. My brother didn't end up having dinner with us because he wanted to hang out with his friends, so it was just my parents and I. We had meatball subs that night for dinner, everything was going fine, we were talking about our days and what made us happy that day until my mom took how my dads friend and him that was a girl, had gone to the beach that day out of context. She assumed my dad was cheating and they both ended up yelling at the dinner table, until my dad said 'Fuck this.' And left the house.

Kevin's family gives me a sense of what real family love is like, and they invited me to be apart of that love which I am beyond grateful for. I don't think I would be here today if it wasn't for his family.

"Your famous spaghetti?" I felt a smile grow on my face as I stood from the chair and made my way towards Mrs.Thompson, "What's the special occasion?"

"Nothing special." She chuckled turning around to walk out of the bedroom and head downstairs which I had followed behind her, "I'm glad that you are staying with us, lord knows how long it has been since you've been over here while I was home, I was starting to feel like I had no children."

"What the hell, mom? You literally gave birth to me, and you're out here saying it was feeling like you had no children? Am I that much of a disgrace? I thought I brought you joy?" Kevin chimed in from the dinner table, his right hand with a butter knife and the left holding a piece of bread. Kevin's dad stayed late at work tonight so he's not going to be eating dinner with us unfortunately.