Chapter Three - The Encounter

Both Um and Stayne had gone in separate directions. Ilosovic had been summoned to accompany the Queen in her chamber, on the balcony. Where they discussed - well, more like Stayne listened to Iracebeth drag on about her sister - the Frabjous Day. Stayne just kept handing un-true compliments out in an attempt to muzzle her. His mind was currently elsewhere. He was thinking about one person in particular.

 Afterwards, when Iracebeth had dismissed him, Stayne’s mind was still tossing around thoughts of Um. It was impossible for him to not think of her. Now that this lovely young lady was in the castle, of course he was going to be reminded of her.

 When he left the Red Queen’s chambers, he leaned back against the door, trying bring himself back to reality from that boring endurance of the Queen’s opinions. He only wished to think of Um, to hear her angelic voice speak to him softly, to grace him with her soft smile. He reminded himself of her beauty and a smile edged onto his lips.

 He decided to roam around the corridors one last time before heading to his own quarters. It was rather late now, and many of the castles inhabitants were asleep. He hardly made an effort to tip-toe around the hallways, until he heard one familiar voice.

On his venture, he discovered Um talking, although more like arguing, with the pathetic dormouse. She was kneeling on the floor, and demanding something from the mouse. Stayne wasn’t interested in what she was after, or what she was saying. Just the sound of her voice soothed him. To his surprise, Um got up, turned and headed down another corridor.

 She walked further away from him than he’d liked. Stayne followed her down the hallway silently, but he could tell she knew somebody was pursuing her. He grinned at this, as Um’s pace slowed, and Stayne came into her line of vision. Pressing her arms to her side, revealing a little more of her neckline, as if wanting Stayne to look, she stopped, and she backed up against the wall.

 Stayne threw his arms either side of her shoulders. Um began to breathe heavily, panic-like. Her pupils widen as she looked into his eyes, looking for mercy. He could then see the fear in her eyes, although, it amazed him to find curiosity accompanying it.

 The Knave felt the feeling build up inside of him again, though this time, even stronger. He felt giddy, and he wanted her. His body was almost touching hers, but he didn’t want to frighten her further. If he did, how would her ever get the chance to be closer to her?

 He felt himself tremble as he began to speak. ‘I like you, Um.’ He paused, gazing deeper into her eyes. ‘I like largeness.’ Um was scared, and pushed his arms away.

‘Get away from me!’ She looked back only once to see Stayne watching her dart down the hallway.

 Ilosovic stood there, just watching her run. He only then realised how foolish that sounded, but he didn’t care. He was determined to make Um his. He admired how strong her build was, how slender and perfect her body was.

 ‘I’ll get you, Um, and make you mine. One day. One day, I will.’ He said, knowing that she wouldn’t hear him, that nobody would hear him. ‘How can I leave you alone?’ He sighed, and wondered down the hall again.