Chapter Four - On The Prowl

Stayne was trying to rid the thoughts of Um from his mind, but it was impossible. He gave up, and stalked her around the castle, like a predator in search of its prey. There was no telling where she was or where she was heading, there was only two ways to find her; by the sight of her, or the sound she makes, thanks to the dress made by the Queen’s courtiers, fashioned from the castle’s curtains, it had a distinctive swishing sound.

 Though he knew the castle well from his many years of serving the Red Queen, he temporarily lost his sense of direction. As though he was placed into a maze with ever-changing structure, but then he heard it. He heard her.

 Stayne was right; he heard the rustling of Um’s make-shift dress as she wondered down the hallway, and he sprinted after it. She was headed for her bed chambers, and Stayne knew it well, as it used to be his old bed chambers. Stayne stalked her, silently, only until they both reached the door did she realised she was, again, being followed.

 He pressed her up against the door, this time by pinning her wrists back. Stayne was even closer to her this time, so much so that he could feel her body heat against his own. ‘Stayne, let me go!’ Um’s voice trembled with fear.

‘You’re not getting away as easily.’ He said.

‘Stayne!’ She cried. Stayne couldn’t help but love how she spoke, especially when she graced his name with her tongue. ‘No, Um. I’m not letting you go this time.’ Um staggered back a little more, so that her back made contact with the door. She had opened the door slightly when Stayne arrived. As Stayne began to press his body against hers, she winced and gasped at the horrid feel of it, then the two fell back into Um’s room.

 When they’d both gotten to their feet, Stayne, again, pressed her against the door, and sighed. He took in her beauty, her scent, and leaned in closer. He adored the fact that she towered over him. He was used to looking down at a woman, but this experience was new, and he liked it. Um attempted to pull her head away, but her body was still there. She closed her eyes as she felt his lips make contact with her collarbone.

 Stayne loved every moment of this. If he hadn’t taken the opportunity, he may never have gotten as close to Um as he was now. As the girl began to struggle to break free, an angered voice echoed throughout the castle. A voice that was so distinct; the voice of Iracebeth of Crims.

 ‘STAYNE!’ Her voice boomed. They both stopped. Alice stopped struggling. Stayne loosened his grip. Um panted for a moment ‘She’s after you.’

‘I know.’ He sighed, with both despair and anger, returning to normality. ‘Just remember this, Um from Umbrage; you are mine.’ He planted a last kiss on her neck before fleeing to the Queen’s court, mumbling ‘Sorry.’ as he left. He marched there quickly, wanting tp say as many awful things about Iracebeth as possible.