Chapter Eight - Negotiation

It was settled, by Iracebeth, that the Hatter and the dormouse were to be beheaded the next morning. There was no changing her mind. Though, Ilosovic Stayne tried, begged, as much as he could to get the Red Queen to consider dismissing the idea, but she refused.

 And begged he did. ‘Majesty, is there any point in beheading them? Alice has escaped with the sword. I don’t see them handing it over willingly any time soon.’

‘What’s gotten into you, Stayne?’ She hissed, casting a scowl in his general direction. ‘You appear to have lost your taste for beheading. You’ve even began to treat prisoners…softly.’

‘Not at all, Majesty.’ Stayne shook his head, nervously, though trying it hide it.

‘Good. Then you should be perfectly fine with their execution tomorrow morning!’

‘Beheading does not displease me.’ He lied. ‘But, would there be any point to their executions? If we were to reason, or negotiate with th-’

‘How dare you!’ She exclaimed, wide eyed and red-faced. ‘I would never even consider reasoning with Mirana! The prisoners are being beheaded. Now go!’

 Stayne bowed slightly in a sort of ‘‘as you wish’’ manner and left her court. He stormed through the corridors. He marched hallway after hallway, giving all those he passed the intention to stay out of his way and ask no questions. He strutted through the hallways until he reached his old quarters. Um’s quarters. Alice’s quarters. He sighed and went inside.

 The bed had not been slept it, though Alice had laid on it. Stayne stood there, as if what had happened when he was in here last was still happening. He opened his eye, returning to reality. He could smell her. He could smell Alice’s scent, and he missed it. He craved it. He craved her.

 Stayne crossed over to the bed and sat on its edge. He removed his gloves and placed them to one side, before grabbing hold of the duvet and pulling it up to his face. He felt the material in his hands. Soft and delicate, just like her. He inhaled the duvet’s scent, and he could smell her again.

 There was nowhere, no-one, else he’d rather be with. And he knew that the person was Alice. It depressed him; how he was in love with the one girl he was not allowed to love. What saddened him even more, was that Alice hated him. For who he was now, and for his past. He was the right-hand-man of her enemy. Of the ‘Bluddy Begh Hid’ Red Queen. Not to mention, she was in Marmoreal now. Ilosovic Stayne could handle it no longer.