Chapter Nine - Marmoreal

He waited for Midnight to fall, for each of the castle’s inhabitants to sleep, and he slipped out from Alice’s old bed chamber and down to the stables. He mounted his horse and began his journey. A distant journey which he expected would take up most of the night. He rode his horse far into the night, awaiting to reach Marmoreal.

 Surprisingly, the journey was shorter than Stayne expected. When he arrived, he slowed his horse from a canter to a slow trot. What he saw was such a beautiful sight; the White Queen’s castle. A road leading into the castle was lined with blossom trees, and ending at a magnificent marble castle, decorated with blue turrets. It was the most beautiful structure he’d ever seen. So much more welcoming and graceful than the Red Queen’s castle.

 He watched the marble walls glisten in the moonlight, and it’s beauty amazed him, almost like Alice’s did. He dismounted his horse at the large arched entrance. The undeniable astonishing beauty of Marmoreal was unlike anything he had seen in Salazen Grum. It was bright, and didn’t make you tremble with fear.

 Stayne looked up again at the wonder and had one thought on his mind; I do not belong here. Everything there, everything he could see, looked perfect. And then there was him; a dark Knave in black and red clothing, his long cape flowing behind him. He could not look more out of place.

 He stepped inside the courtyard and looked around for any signs of – human – life. His eyes met with those of the White Queen standing on the balcony above him. She gave him a grin and disappeared, supposedly to confront him on why he was here, before telling him to return to Salazen Grum.

 Mirana, the beautiful and pure White Queen, now stood before him at the entrance to her palace. ‘Your Majesty, I-’ But she raised her hand to stop him.

‘Come with me, Ilosovic Stayne.’ She said, returning through the grand doors she had emerged from.  Stayne was confused, for she owed him no kindness, he was the  handy-man of her evil, power-mad sister. How could she owe him any kindness?

 He removed his gloves and proceeded up the marble stairs, through the door the Queen had stepped through. ‘Come, I understand there is somebody that you wish to speak with.’ Stayne nodded. How did she know? He thought.

 Stayne entered, what he believed to be, the White Queen’s court. Like the exterior, this room was excellent too. Turquoise marble pillars were in place, either side of the carpeted path leading towards Mirana’s throne. Marmoreal was simply perfect.

 Without his noticing, the Queen had moved to a doorway leading to a grand helix staircase. It was winding up in circles to the top of this tower. ‘This way, Ilosovic Stayne.’ At the top of the staircase, was a beautiful study, again, decorated with excellence and marble. To its left, was a door, supposedly leading to a bedroom. To its right, the same, and straight ahead were the doors leading out to the balcony.

 Mirana guided him out onto the balcony, where he found a telescope and a beautiful view of waterfalls and the castle’s gardens. ‘I won’t be a moment.’ She smiled, and left the balcony, closing the doors behind her. With that, Stayne was alone. He thought of what he would say to Alice. He’d apologise for frightening her, first. Then what?

 Before he could decide, the doors of the balcony reopened, this time, there stood two people; Mirana, and the beautiful Alice. ‘I shall leave you two alone.’ She smiled gently again, before backing into the study, closing the doors behind her.

 ‘Alice.’ He said. The girl eyed him suspiciously, unsure whether or not to trust this man. ‘I mean you no harm.’ He admitted as she stepped cautiously towards him.

‘The White Queen told me that you would not bring me any harm.’ Alice stated. ‘Her highness said that you bring news?’

‘Yes.’

The Knave and the Champion : Alice and StayneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara