Chapter Eleven - The Warning

This was perfect. If anybody in Salazen Grum wanted to know where he was heading off to, he could just tell them that he was preparing the Jabberwocky. An alibi, a perfectly fake alibi. His steed galloped all the way, riding as fast as it could, carrying the weight of Stayne. He wasn’t overweight, but his height and outfit caused him to weight heavier.

 It was late afternoon, as Stayne had asked permission to dine before his journey to awaken the hideous beast. The sun was beginning to make its decent from the crimson sky, and Marmoreal came into sight.

 As Stayne’s horse approached the palace, the sun was setting, and glistening on the reflective marble walls. It was almost as dazzling as when the palace was graced by moonlight. The route he took was the same as that he had taken the day before, yet seemed almost twice as long. One of his suggestions for this was his reward at the end.

 The Knave dismounted his steed and walked into the castle grounds. He saw two figures; one in an elegant white gown, and the other in a blue garment of some sorts. The White Queen and Alice, of course. Beside Alice, was the bloodhound that Stayne had sent to trace the girl a few days ago. He found this bizarre, but Stayne had to get used to the fact that so many were against Iracebeth, though – obviously – in secret.

 Stayne was now face-to-face with the two, as he saw Alice smile. Perhaps, she had forgiven his past errors, and terrorizing her by pinning her to the wall. Or perhaps not, Stayne would find out by her reaction. Wondering if her hand was to meet his face with a strong force, he bowed slightly to them. ‘Majesty.’

 ‘We have been awaiting your return, Ilosovic Stayne. Welcome to Marmoreal.’ Mirana smiled sweetly, insisting he raise his head. ‘You are to bare us news, I trust?’

‘Yes, Majesty.’ He straightened up, and switching his gaze to Alice. He looked deep into her brown eyes, he could see no urge to attack him, no anger. Like he had seen so many times in the Red Queen’s eyes. Though there had been no change, Stayne could swear that the girl had become even more beautiful than the last time they met. He had, clearly, accidently underestimated her beauty when thinking of her.

 ‘Alice.’

‘Yes, Stayne?’ She smiled. Ilosovic felt his heart burn up again, as he adored her beautiful voice calling out his name.

‘It is of my understanding that the Hatter and the dormouse have escaped Salazen Grum unharmed, and are making their way here.’ He smiled toothlessly. To his joy, he saw Alice’s face light up brightly, as a grin grew wider upon her lips.

 ‘That’s excellent!’ She sighed with relief, looking at her Queen who was also smiling. She stepped forward to gain Stayne’s attention. ‘I cannot thank you enough, Ilosovic Stayne.’ But he saw her face fall with realisation. ‘Is there anything else you have neglected to say?’

 ‘Unfortunately so, Majesty.’ He sighed. ‘The Red Queen has ordered that I prepare the Jabberwocky for battle. She expects to see you on the Battlefield tomorrow.’

‘I feared that the Frabjous Day has come upon us so soon.’

‘I have made many attempts to sway her decision, Majesty, but nothing seems to work. Her mind is set on destroying you.’

 Alice stepped forward, into Stayne’s line of vision. ‘You could stay here in Marmoreal, and fight alongside us.’

‘I am not sure that is wise, Alice.’ Admitted the White Queen. ‘For would Iracebeth learn of Stayne’s betrayal, she would have him beheaded immediately.’

‘Perhaps, not at this moment, but on the battlefield, I will fight for your army, Majesty.’

‘It would seem best, Ilosovic.’ Mirana nodded. ‘Now, I do believe I owe you privacy. I will be on the telescope balcony, should you need me, Alice.’

 The two watched the Queen disappeared into her castle, before which, Stayne nodded a ‘‘thank-you’’. Once they were only in the sights of each other, Alice smiled again. ‘Ilosovic is rather a rare name. Quite curious, also.’ She tried to make conversation.

‘Well, you are the only Alice that I know of.’ Stayne admitted in reply. There was a moment of silence between the two, before Alice quietly said; ‘Don’t go and lose your other eye. I have a feeling you’ll need it.’

 Stayne chuckled slightly. This was definitely the Alice that had visited Underland thirteen years ago, still poking fun of his singular eye. ‘And don’t you lose that Vorpal Sword, it is a little important.’ He joked back, although he saw that she tried to force the smiled on. This was quite a lot for the young woman to deal with.

 She had been brought back to Underland to fulfil her destine path’s journey. In a matter of days, she had to search and find the Vorpal Sword at Salazen Grum, and return it to Marmoreal, before slaying a hideous creature of gigantic size. It was quite a lot of weight for such vulnerable shoulders.

 He saw tears build up in her eyes, tears that did not fall. Stayne didn’t want her to cry, he did not want to see her with such sorrow. ‘Will you return?’

‘I promised you, Alice, I would return.’ He smiled. Several strands of his thick, black hair fell forward, so Alice tucked it back behind his ear. Stayne had never had such contact, and so felt his heart miss another beat. The feeling was so beautiful that the Knave had almost forgotten how to breathe. ‘I’ll be waiting.’ She smiled, understanding that now was the time he had to flee.

 His affectionate feelings gave up, and could hold it in no longer. Leaning down gently, Stayne placed his lips against Alice’s and kissed her ever so softly. He was sure they were both a little in shock when they discovered that, after a moment of hesitation, the girl was kissing back. She was certainly unsure about this, but that did not stop her, as she pressed her lips against his.

 After the beautifully perfect kiss, they both threw their arms around each other, hugging tightly. ‘I’ll be back for you, Alice. As I promised.’ He whispered. Alice placed her lips on his cheek and kissed softly. Even when she retracted them, Stayne could still feel where the warm skin had been.

 When they pulled back, he kissed the back of her hand. ‘Fairfarren, Alice.’ He whispered, before mounting his horse. He patted the animal’s neck and headed for Salazen Grum. On his journey, he noticed that the moon had ascended and the air had cooled.

 He reminded himself of Alice, and the kiss. Setting his mind at rest, for a while, as he returned to his bed quarters, ready for the horrific battle awaiting them the next morning.