s i x t e e n

You, Rhodey, Natasha, Steve, Tony, Sam, Vision, and Wanda are gathered around the table, with the Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross standing at the head of the table.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple  bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word "vigilantes".

Natasha was the first to speak up. "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?"

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He answers. Ross activates the screen behind him. News footage the Avengers and SHIELD's past battles flash on the screen, and he speaks. "New York." Footage of a Chitauri leviathan, terrified citizens, a soldier firing a gun, the Hulk smashing into a building. You look around the table, Rhodey has a look of regret while he glances back at Natasha.

"Washington DC." Secretary Ross says. Videos of the three helicarriers, firing on each other, the destroyed Triskelion, a helicarrier crashing into the Potomac, and throwing up a massive wave hitting citizens and the camera. Sam looks down.

"Sokovia." More footage of terrified civilians running, the city rising, and a building falling over. All around the room are looks of guilt.

"Lagos." A video of the burning building, paramedics moving a body, a dead girl. Both you and Wanda look down in your laps, unable to watch more. Steve notices this, and speaks up. "Okay. That's enough."

Secretary Ross nods and the images disappear. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He takes out abook, and slides it on the table to Wanda who passes it to you. You pass it down to Rhodey. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve speaks up.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Steve looks up and meets Ross's eyes. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes... you can there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies." James Rhodes says.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Secretary Ross says.

Looking around the room, you saw Steve glance at Tony. "Talk it over." Secretary Ross said.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked.

"Then you retire." He responded.

——————————
Earlier that day
For the first time in what felt like forever, you woke up feeling happy. You weren't sad about anything, you just looked forward to the rest of the day. You rushed to get dressed and found Wanda in her room.

"Hey!" You said with a smile.

"Hello." She had a guilty look on her face. An expression she'd been wearing since the events in Lagos.