Chapter 1

Heron hadn't seen his birthplace in five years, he was now ten and eight.  As he traveled he didn't tell the people he met who he was, there were some who knew him by sight but he liked going to other cities and being unknown, of making a name for himself that he earned not that he was born to.  In Essos they called him King of Beasts and while he was there he met two people he hadn't expected.  They both had hair of threaded silver and purple gems for eyes, the oldest was a hateful and naive man and the youngest was a timid and kind girl.  The brother he hated but the girl he adored, he knew his father would kill them both if he ever saw them but he refused to hold them to the mistakes others in their house made.

Their names were Daenerys and Viserys, Heron visited them often in his travels, everytime he went to Essos.  While he was there he spent most of his time with Daenerys, never telling her who he truly was, he had more important things to tell her.

"Daenerys I want you to remember something," Heron started out, breaking the pleasent silence between the two.  They say in a high tower window over looking the land.  She looked at him with curiousity shining in her purple gems.  "Viserys will never be king, someone who expects a throne because of their name will never truly rule, no one will follow.  But even if he does not have what it takes to rule, you do."  The girl's eyes widen and she shook her head with a bashful smile.

"Heron, I could never rule, it is Viserys birthright, he is the dragon," She said, and Heron simply smiled at her.  

"People will always choose those who earned their title over those who were born with it.  Make the best of all the world gives you Daenerys," He told her and she looked at him in wonderment.

"How do you know about ruling?" She asked him, not truly knowing where he came from.  He grinned at her and leaned back against the window looking back out the window.

"If you ever come into a position of power, do right for those who can't do right for themselves, you are kind Daenerys do not ever loose that," He told her.  She ducked her head bashfully.

"Viserys says those who are kind get nothing from the world," She said and he laughed, throwing his head back.

"There is such thing as too much kindness, but if you have none then no one will do a thing for you.  Fear only holds a person's loyalty for so long," Heron said, relaxed against the window.  "Daenerys do you hear the rumors about me?"  The young girl nodded her head with a smile.  "What do you hear?"

"They say you are the friend of creatures only seen in books.  That you could defeat an army alone and unarmed.  That you are the scholar of all gods but pray to none.  They say you are blessed by the gods, the king of beasts," She told him, excitement in her tone and a childish smile on her face.  Heron smiles at her excitement.

"Would you like to see something?" He asked her and she nodded excitedly.  Heron had met Daenerys during his first year of travel, when she was ten and one, he now trusted her.  "You can not tell your brother, he can never know about what I am about to show you," He told her, knowing her brother would try and use him for his fantasy war.  She nodded with a bright grin to him and he returned it.  He faced the window and held out his arm, palm open and faced up.  He tell out a low whistle and the two waited for a few moments before they heard a creature whistle back.  

The flapping of wings was heard and then landed a rather strange bird on Heron's arm.  He smiled at the bird, who was the size of the average song bird and had bright red feathers that when flapped looked as if they were on fire.  The bird hopped onto Heron's shoulder and pushed it ash colored beak affectionately into his face.  Heron laughed at the sweet creature while Daenerys looked with wide eyes of awe at the obviously magical being.  The bird flapped it's wings a bit in excitement and she saw literal flame dance along it's feathers.

Heron was petting the bird as he smiled at Daenerys, "Rumors always spread about me, that I am he friend of beasts, the king of beasts but that is not what they think of me as."

Daenerys looked at him with a smile, Heron was someone she looked up to, trusted and she believed his word over all others.  "What are you to them?"

He smiled at her and looked at the bird on his shoulder who bumped his cheek with their beak to gain his attention, "I'm their father."

Heron left Daenerys, telling her it was time for him to leave again, he didn't know where he was going but he hoped it was exciting.  Right as he got on the boat he heard the loud caw of a raven, causing him to turn around just as it landed on his shoulder.  He looked at the familiar raven that sat on his shoulder, "Highwind?"  Highwind was a raven he sent back as a gift for his family, he had taught the raven to send messages and hide itself from those who watch the skies for such things.  It was also a way for his family to talk to him, since they seldom knew where he was.

Heron took the small piece of parchment from around the Ravens leg and uncurled it to see the message.  "This must be a joke," He said shaking his head at the letter.

Dear Son,

I miss you so and while I know you enjoy your travels, in a months time we travel to Winterfell.  Time to come home my lion cub.

Cersei

"Well Highwind, looks like I'm going home.  Let's go see how much fatter my father has gotten in my time away."