Chapter Five

Though Heron would have much preferred to stay with Jon during the feast, knowing Cailtyn would never allow him to attend, unfortanately he had duties to uphold as prince, which included going to the feast.  As he looked around he was reminded of his time as a child, watching his father with a whore, while his mother had to sit and see it.  He saw Sansa go up to his mother and felt bad for the poor girl, Heron was well aware that his mother didn't like anyone who didn't bear her blood.  He saw Joffrey smirk and raise a glass to Sansa as well, he worried for her, knowing she would gain a crush on his brother who was only kind to their mother and him.  

Heron sat next to Arya, playing hand games with her and sword fighting with spoons, when they stopped Arya grinned at him and said, "Watch this."  She scooped up some of her food and flung it at Sansa whose mouth opened in shock and anger.  

"Arya!" The girl yelled while Heron and the girl in question laughed.  Arya went to scoop again when Heron saw Caitlyn gesture with her eyes for Robb to get her.  Robb stopped his laughing and went to his sister.

"Time for bed," Robb said, lifting Arya up.  Heron stood when Arya tugged his hand and she groaned and Robb shoved her forward.

"Robb go, enjoy the feast, I'll take Arya to her room," Heron told him and Robb nodded to him in thanks, going to rejoin Theon.  "Well come on them, little wolf," He told her, lowering down so she may jump on his back, which she was quick to do.  He stood up with a laugh as she messed with his hair, walking out of the room, feeling his mother's eyes burn into his back as he did so.

Heron took Arya down the halls and up stairs to her room, making conversation as they went.  "I wish you were my sibling instead of Sansa," Arya said, laying her head on his shoulder while he laughed.

"You needn't worry Arya, for I am your brother in everything but name and blood, but I have always that the family made by blood is the weakest link you have," He told her with a relaxed grin.

"What do you mean?" She asked him once again playing with his hair.

"Well Arya, you can't choose those who share your blood, but the bonds you form yourself over mutual respect and fondness with always be stronger than those forged by our bodies," He tells her and she nods.

"Then you and Jon are my favorite brothers," She says, wrapping her arms around his neck in a hug.

After taking Arya to bed, heron found himself trailing outside where he knew a certain black haired bastard was bound to be.  He stayed in the shadows, watching his uncle speak to his lover.  When the dwarf had left and Jon had picked up his sword, Heron stepped out though Jon could still not see him due to facing away.

"Charming, isn't he?" Heron spoke, leaning against a post while Jon whirled around to face him with his sword raised.  Once noticing it was the familiar blonde, the steel was lowered.  "The kindest of my family, I'm afraid.  At least towards people not sharing Lannister blood," Heron joked, pushing off from the post to get closer to the man he craved.  

"Hate to speak to the rest then," Jon spoke calmly and Heron cracked a smile that Jon failed at not returning.

"No doubt, my mother doesn't care for anyone she didn't birth or was birthed with, while my other uncle just doesn't give damn most of the time," Heron spoke with a shrug.  "And my charming father is a drunkard who beds whores more than he does my mother, only ever with her when he wants yet another child," Heron continued, a sad look in his eyes while talking about his "father".  

"I'm sorry," Jon comforted him, noticing the hurt laced in his eyes when he thought of the unfaithfulness his father had.  Heron shook his head and shrugged, finally meeting Jon's eyes once again and smiling.

"Don't put your mind to it.  She doesn't.  Though I will say, I will not be as kind if you ever do it to me," Heron joked, stepping closer so Jon could feel the blonde's breathe on his face, not that he minded.  Jon grinned back at the man who held his heart.

"Never."

The next day many were leaving on a hunt, and Heron was expected to go.  He currently sat on top his horse by Robb.  "You gone to see Jon yet?" Robb asked and Heron nodded causing Robb to smirk.  Many of the Stark children knew about Jon and Heron, and none of them could give two fucks.  The only one who was unaware was Sansa, they loved her but she wasn't overly fond of Jon and loved who mother far more and they couldn't trust her not to tell.

He could see his adopted father speaking to Ned Stark, if he truly wanted to he could listen, but he truly didn't want to.  His father road away, calling out to the party, "Come on boys, let's go kill some boar."  Heron rolled his eyes, if his father was anything like he remembered he wouldn't kill a damn thing and instead servent would go and stage the killings.  

Glancing around, Heron could see Bran watching the party, leaned against a wall.  He smiled kindly at the young boy who returned it quickly, happy to be noticed by the man he knew so well.

Heron moved his gaze back to the front, he reminded himself to go and spend time with Bran when he came back.