Chapter Seven

"You actually enjoy that?" Diana asked, making me look up from my book.

After our interaction in the hallway, I didn't see Stefano again all day. I didn't see him for the whole rest of the week either. I did, however, run into Luca a few times, who I decided was a friend and not an enemy in this place.

Diana and I also got closer and I spent most of my time that I wasn't working either with her or reading in the library I'd found. I had been surprised when I'd found the room because I didn't think criminals really took the time to read.

"It helps me get my mind off of things." I told her, taking note of what page I was on and setting the book down all together.

"You're done with your chapter?" She asked, her eyes lighting up.

Diana had been waiting for that last five minutes for me to put it down. I'd promised I'd help her with her makeup for one of the events tonight. Thankfully, I'd been given the night off, so I didn't need to dress up and serve drinks all night while men talked business. I'd served at a few events so far, but I didn't enjoy them as much as Diana didn't. She loved the attention she got from the men, but I got bored.

"Come on, let's get this over with." I laughed, pulling her out of the library and towards her room. I'd gotten better at navigating the estate since I'd gotten here.

"Don't act like you don't enjoy it. You love makeup."

I smiled, but didn't admit to it. I hadn't used makeup very much before coming here, but after my first event, I'd been determined to learned, so I asked Diana if I could practice on her. According to Diana, I was a natural. I didn't find it too difficult either because it felt like art, not just makeup.

"Alaya, Diana. How are you doing?" Luca asked as we came up the stairs. He was at the top, but I was surprised to see he wasn't in a suit. Instead of his usual attire, he was wearing a shirt, shorts and a pair of running shoes.

"We're doing good. Alaya's doing my makeup for tonight." Diana answered for the both of us.

"That's nice of her. You're not attending?" He asked me.

I shook my head. "I got the night off. Are you going for a run?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah, there's a ton of land here, so I can run for miles without getting board. Are you a runner?"

"I used to run track and cross country in high school."

"Do you wanna run with me?" Luca offered.

"I'd love to, but I don't have any running clothes."

"Next time." Luca smiled, continuing down the stairs.

Diana pulled me down the hall towards her room and closed the door behind us. "Is it just me, or was he totally flirting with you?" She asked in excitement.

I snorted. "It's just you. Besides, I don't think Stefano wants me with any of his men."

"What do you mean?" She asked in confusion.
I quickly explained what happened on my first day.

"He's into you." Diana said once I finished.

"Who, Luca?"

"No, Stefano." She said, making me raise my eyebrows in doubt. "He doesn't care what any of us do, let alone who we sleep with, as long as we do our jobs and follow the rules. Why else would he care what you do?"

"He's threatened to kill me, like, twenty times, Diana. He doesn't like me." I reasoned.

"He doesn't have to like you to be attracted to you." She pointed out. "How did you end up here again?"