Chapter Nineteen

Stefano had asked me out an official date and continued on with his life, but I was freaking out. He hadn't even given me a whole day's warning, he just gave me a few hours to figure out what I should wear. I wanted to ask Diana, but I felt weird doing so given that she sometimes gave me the vibe that she kind of liked Stefano herself. I loved her to death and I'd never admit it to her, but her and Stefano having a past made me slightly uncomfortable.

I threw open my closet door and went through my clothes. I had a lot of different options, but I also had no idea what kind of restaurant he was taking me to. I decided the best thing I could do was go downstairs and ask him.

I knocked on Stefano's office door softly before cracking it open and poking my head in. He glanced up from his desk. "Alaya, what can I do for you?"

I entered the room and closed the door behind me. "I don't know what to wear and I was overthinking it so I decided to just come down and ask you." I said in a rush.

He raised an eyebrow and his lips quirked up. "You interrupted me to ask me what you should wear tonight?"

I felt my cheeks heat up. "Well, yeah..."

"We're going to a nice restaurant and then a casino where I have to meet with some people. Wear a nice dress."

"A dress? Okay, I can do that." I nodded slowly.

"Good. I'll see you later, I have some work to finish before tonight." He dismissed me.

Time passed a lot faster than I would have liked and, before I knew it, I was rushing to get ready. I'd started to curl my hair and then flat ironed it, changing my mind halfway through. I was struggling with my makeup when Stefano snuck up on me.

"You're not ready yet?" He asked as he walked in, making me jump.

"Shit, you scared me!" I gasped, pressing a hand to my heart. "Do you always sneak up on people like you're about to kill them?"

"I'm sorry." He said with a chuckle as he looked me up and down. "You look beautiful, stop stressing yourself out."

I looked at him through the mirror with a pout. "I can't get my makeup right."

Stefano smiled and gently turned me to face him. "Let me do it."

"What?"

Stefano reached around me and grabbed a makeup wipe. I only watched in shock as he wiped the makeup clean from my face. He tossed the wipe into the trash and picked up a wand of mascara.

"Look up." He ordered. I obeyed and he swiped some mascara onto my lashes. Then he applied a coat of lipgloss onto my lips. "There. You look perfect. Now we have to go, I don't want to be late to our reservation." I stared after him wordlessly as he left the bathroom.

I turned around and looked at my reflection, surprised by the simplicity, yet appeal the makeup gave my face. I trailed out of the bathroom just as he was straightening his tie. "Where did you learn to put on makeup?" I asked in astonishment.

"I used to watch my mother do her makeup." He explained nonchalantly. "I think you look more beautiful without it though."

I blushed and turned away. "Let's get going." I mumbled, pulling my heels on.

Stefano sat in the back with me while the driver drove through New York until we reached a restaurant that was familiar to me. "Giulia's." I read. "I've been here before with your mom."

"Right, I forgot you two are best friends." He said sarcastically.

"At least she likes me." I laughed.