Chapter Twenty Two

For the first time ever, I woke up before Stefano.

His arms were wrapped around me, his head was on my chest and our legs were tangled together.

It was strange seeing him asleep. He looked so calm and vulnerable like that. I wasn't used to it. I couldn't help but think he looked beautiful. Stefano was like a fallen angel. Misleadingly handsome and full of sin.

"You're staring." He mumbled. His eyes were still closed and I was surprised he was awake.

"How long have you been awake?"

"Not long." He sighed, nuzzling his nose into the crook of my neck and tightening his arms around me. "How long have you been awake?"

"Not long either."

"How are you feeling?" He asked, looking up at me.

The question made everything rush back to me and it hit me like a ton of bricks. "I've been better, but I'm okay." I admitted. "I think I've been suppressing a lot of feelings since I got here and they all decided to come out at once."

"You know you can talk to me about anything, right?" He asked.

I nodded, running my fingers through his hair absentmindedly. "I know. You have to work today, don't you?"

"I can reschedule my meetings, you're more important." He propped himself up on his elbow to get a better look at me.

I looked down at my hands, fidgeting. "No, that's okay. I was thinking about going to see your mother today, if that okay with you." I was expecting him to get upset with me, but his answer surprised me.

"As long as it makes you happy, I'm okay with it. I can have someone drive you." Stefano offered.

I laughed softly. "Am I ever going to get to drive again?" I joked.

"As soon as I'm convinced you won't drive off and never come back." I would've thought he was serious if it hadn't been for the smile on his face. He placed a quick kiss on my lips before getting out of bed.

"Don't worry about finding someone to drive me, I'll just ask Giulia to pick me up." I said, getting out of bed as well.

After getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I made my way down to the kitchen to get something to eat really quickly. I had texted Giulia and she had answered almost immediately that she was on her way. In the kitchen, I found Diana and Luca huddled together by the counter, reading something on his phone. Judging from the solemn looks on their faces, whatever it was, it wasn't good.

"Good morning." I smiled at them.

"Hey!" Diana smiled at me as Luca put his phone away in his pocket.

"Good morning. Did you want to go running today?" Luca asked with a smile.

I shook my head and laughed. "I can't today, but I'll definitely take you up on that offer tomorrow."

"I'll come find you tomorrow then." He said, walking out of the kitchen.

"So, how are you feeling?" Diana asked me as I opened the pantry. "I saw Stefano carry you in last night."

I sighed, grabbing a granola bar. "I'm okay, I'm just exhausted emotionally."

"I'm sorry babe. I really thought things would work out between you two."

"What?" I asked, confused for a moment. "No, Stefano and I are fine, I've just been thinking about my brother a lot lately."

Her eyes widened. "Oh! Well, I feel stupid." She said with an awkward chuckle. "I'm happy for you and Stefano."