Chapter Twenty Five

I woke up to the sound of the door opening. I opened my eyes, expecting to see Diana, but Stefano walked through the door. I sat up quickly, gathering the comforter to my chest. My heart immediately started beating faster and I cursed it for still loving him after what he'd done.

"I want to leave." I said before he could say anything.

He shook his head. "No. That's not happening."

"You told me I could leave if I wanted. You told me you wouldn't keep me here against my will. You told me you trusted me."

"You told me you wouldn't leave." He countered.

I glared at him. "Then I guess we're both liars."

"I didn't lie! I did trust you!" He yelled angrily making me flinch. He noticed and took a deep breath, calming himself.

I let out a bitter laugh. "Is that why my name is in your file on the Bonano? Because you trusted me when I told you I wasn't associated with him?"

He clenched his jaw. "Is that why you were in my office?"

"No!" I exploded. "I was looking for you! I just happened to read through what was on your desk because I was curious! I didn't think I'd find my name in the file! I didn't think I'd lose my fingernails for it!" I was breathing heavy and tears were starting falling down my face again.

He looked a little surprise at my outburst. He watched me for a few seconds before sitting at the foot of Diana's bed, as far away from me as possible.

"I don't know what I was thinking." Stefano mumbled, burying his face in his hands. I looked away from him as he continued. "I couldn't believe you would do something like that to me, and I got so mad, especially after everything. You were the only one who had been in my office apart from-" Stefano stopped mid-sentence and stood up suddenly, swearing in Italian.

"What?" I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"That mother fucker." Stefano growled as he started pacing. "He set you up. He knew I wouldn't suspect him."

"Who did?" I asked, confused.

"Luca. He was the only other person who had access to my office. He hasn't come back to the estate since I told him I thought you had betrayed the family. He's been the rat all along and he convinced me it was you so he could get away." Stefano's growled.

"Why would he do that to me?" I whispered to myself, surprised. I thought Luca was my friend... Then again, Stefano was more than a friend to me and he had me tortured.

"Fuck!" He cursed, pulling out his phone. "I have to go take care of that figlio di puttana, I'll be back."

(Son of a bitch.)

I watched the door close behind him as he left before I completely broke down again. That's how Diana found me when she came back.

"Alaya? Alaya, oh babe, no!" She rushed to my side, gathering me in her arms. "Shh, it's okay, honey. I've got you." She rocked me as I cried, smoothing my hair down with her hand.

"We need to get you something to eat." She decided when I finally stopped crying.

I nodded, hiccupping.

"Come on, I'll take you to the kitchen." She said, pulling me out of bed.

"I don't want to run into him." I mumbled.

"You won't." She promised. "He just left with a bunch of his men."

Just as she'd promised, the kitchen was empty. I sat on a barstool at the island counter while she started pulling food out of the fridge. I watched her put a piece of left over lasagna in the microwave to heat it up.