Chapter 6:

Chapter 6:

It was difficult to sleep in such a hot environment, but I finally managed it when my body told my brain that we'd been walking for who knows how long. So my body shut down before my brain and then lights out.

As if Sharkeisha hit me.

When I finally awoke Hazel was up and munching on some dry bread.

"Hey, Girl," she greeted, her breath croaky as she offered me some bread. I shook my head and rummaged through my bag until I found some sunscreen. I sprayed some more on and handed the can to her so she could put some on.

"What time is it," I asked. She shrugged and I gently grabbed Brad's watch and checked the time.

"4:30," I answered myself. "Fantastic." I shook my head. "This has been a terrible few days for me." I laughed maliciously as frustrated tears threatened to spill over. I fought them back and looked at a spot in the distance. "How did this happen, Hazel?"

"You're brother's only in his first year of college." That caused me to crack a smile as Hazel giggled. "Don't know, Jazz, but we'll be okay." I nodded and took the bread she offered.

"Should we drink some water," she asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, we can't be that far away anymore, maybe today and tomorrow until civilization." She nodded in agreement and opened a water bottle. We shared a few sips, but I knew I wanted to down the entire thing.

"Ugh," I groaned. "My skin is dry and I bet my make-up looks terrible." I shook my head.

"Jazz," Hazel laughed. "How can you think of your appearance at a time like this?" I shrugged.

"It matters what I look like," I replied, rummaging through my bag until I found the brush and a tank top to wear.

I made sure the boys were still asleep before pulling off my t-shirt and shrugging the tank on. I applied some new deodorant and Hazel mimicked me as she put on a different top. I brushed through my greasy hair and made a face as I held up a sticky string.

"Ew," I whined, pulling my hair into a bun. Hazel pulled hers into a ponytail and as we finished getting ready the boys woke up.

Well, Brad hit Kenny in the face which woke both of them up.

"Ah," Kenny groaned as I rolled my lips into my mouth, attempting to not laugh but failed miserably as Hazel cracked up.

"Sorry, bro," Brad apologized, patted him on the back, and tried desperately not to laugh.

"Oh my God," I said, going to Kenny. "You okay?" He nodded.

"I'm fine," he said, brushing us off to try to look strong. I rolled my eyes and shared a look with Hazel.

"Boys," she sighed.

"Will be boys," I finished. "I wish I had a mirror," I grumbled, attempting to smoothen some bumps in my hair.

"Relax," Kenny reprimanded, standing up. He grabbed the water Hazel and I had been sharing and took a couple sips before handing it to Brad to finish off the rest. "When are we setting off," he asked us. I shrugged and looked to Hazel.

"Once you guys are ready." As they began to prepare for the walk I sat down on the sand and rubbed my burning calves that were pricked with sand and dust.

I didn't want to walk at all. After walking through the soft sand yesterday my calves were absolutely screaming to the heavens. I'd die if I walked.

I pursed my lips and waited as the sun slowly sunk farther behind the mountains, marking the time we had left to walk.

"Jazzy?" I turned to Brad and he smiled at me. "You having fun yet?" I laughed.