Chapter 9:

Chapter 9:

When we got back I was surprised by what I saw.

I thought that Brad holding my hand would cause a frenzy, but it seemed like the place was already moving too fast to notice.

Kendall had an apron around his waist and it looked like he showered as he moved around, smiling and taking orders from people at booths. In the kitchen we could see Hazel through the window moving around and cooking food with her hair up in a bun.

"What the...," Brad trailed off. He moved his hand to the small of my back and Betsy seemed almost satisfied when she saw how comfortable and touchy we now were with each other.

Brad stepped forward and I followed with him as we weaved around customers eating happily.

"Hazel doesn't know how to cook," I said. "She failed home-ec."

"Correction," Hazel said as she came out of the kitchen. "I failed home-ec, but I never failed any of my cooking parts. Home-ec also had other stuff to it other than making food." I shrugged as she placed a plate of eggs and pancakes in front of a person.

"Betsy," she turned to her. "Sorry, but I didn't really know any of the things on your menu so people just told me stuff to make and I put a price on it." Betsy shrugged.

"As long as you opened the doors I'm fine with it." She looked to us. "Why don't you two go shower up and come back down when you're ready?" I nodded and Brad and I moved upstairs.

"Hey!" I looked down to see Kenny racing up the stairs. "Your hand's around her waist." I froze. Kendall's never been the protective type when it comes to who I date, but I was still a little nervous to see how he'd take this. "What's going on?" He looked between the two of us before landing on Brad. "You popped the question, didn't you?" I furrowed my brow in surprise as Brad nodded. Kenny got the biggest grin on his face.

"Not yet, but..." Brad looked down. "I think it counts." I raised a brow as Kenny shrugged.

"As long as you two are finally happy I could care less."

"What," I asked.

"It's sort of obvious," he replied, snorting. Betsy called him back down and he looked at us. "Take seperate showers, please." My jaw dropped as I felt the need to throw something at him.

"Arrogant loser," I muttered as we opened doors and found where our backpacks were. I pulled out some clean clothes as Brad said he was going to shower in the next room over. I nodded.

I didn't know what was more refreshing. The shower, or the fact that there was bodywash that smelled amazing. Or maybe it was the complimentary toothbrush that I used after my shower.

"I've never felt better in my life," I said to myself as I found a tube of lotion which I rubbed over my body which had been abused by the sun, the sand, and the dry weather.

Someone knocked on the door and I quickly informed them I was in a towel.

"I won't peak," Brad said as he entered the room with a towel around his waist. "I forgot some clothing."

"Sure you did," I said as I closed the restroom door. He laughed and I waited until I heard the door close again before exiting the bathroom. I furrowed through my bag and pulled out some clean clothes, my last pair from the desert. Granted, they could have smelt better, but Brad and I had forgotten to grab other clothes from the RV.

I felt 1000x better when I walked downstairs and sat next to Brad in a booth. He placed an arm around me and I knelt my head against his shoulder. I closed my eyes.

This felt so right.

My mind flashed to Cory and I got sad again, but I shook my head. Brad was here, and if Brad was with me to the end then I could make it to the end.

I looked around the restaurant. Kendall was placing food on tables and Hazel was cooking like no other as Betsy helped out customers, looking content.

"This is a fun trip," I whispered to Brad. A laugh escaped his lips and I stared up into his eyes. Those beautiful eyes that shined with intelligence and light.

In the desert we hadn't wanted light, so I guessed those eyes showed what I wanted them to show.

He brought light when there was too much darkness, and he brought darkness when there was too much light.

Like he said, everything balanced out in the end.

"You're right." He pressed his lips to the top of my head and wrapped his arms around me, the air conditioner chilled the restaurant, making me shiver, and I felt as if it was a sick joke, but Brad's arms warmed me like no other. "This is the best trip I've ever had too."

We fell into silence.

"For the record," he whispered. "If I had to pick anyone to be stranded with. I'd pick you, Hazel, and Kendall as well." I smiled.

"As long as I'm with you," he told me.

"As long as I'm with you," I repeated.

As long as I'm with him.