Chapter 1

The bright morning sunshine beamed in through my windows, the rays of light bringing me awake. I yawned, sitting up and checking the time. 9.00. I had to be at work in an hour. I got up, making my way downstairs to make breakfast, still in my boxers, not bothering to change until right before leaving. I opened the cupboards of my tiny kitchen, which happened to be almost empty, with maybe some cereal and a few energy bars. I grabbed a grain bar and quickly ate it, frowning at the disgusting taste attacking my tongue. I swallowed thickly and made my way back upstairs. My house was pretty clean, I lived alone so had nothing to really mess it up with. I was a clean guy naturally, I washed my dishes after using them, made my bed after getting out of it, etc. My house was cheap, but pretty. It was nice and I couldn't complain about it, though I did often wish it was bigger. It consisted of only a small lounging area connected to the kitchen, my bedroom and bathroom. I didn't earn much so I couldn't really afford a TV or dishwasher or washing machine, I just had the basics. I went into my bedroom, grabbing a black and white flannel button up and a pair of blue jeans, and heading for the shower. I decided I'd head out a little earlier today, and stop by at a music shop and grab a new guitar pick. My shower was long as normal, with me singing over some songs and debating if this job was worth it. Sure I did what I loved, but I earned near to nothing, I struggled to pay for daily expenses and bills and I was already in debt. Maybe I should look for a higher paid job.. though with my qualifications, there's little I can do. I sighed, towel drying my hair and finishing my song. I quickly pulled on my clothes and let my hair air dry, quickly cleaning the bathroom and making my bed. After my hair was dry, I pulled on my grey beanie to cover the chocolate brown mess and grabbed my guitar and a few coins change that I had on the side, heading out. The air was a bit chilly, though it was still morning, it was meant to get sunnier later on. Not that it mattered. I didn't have a car so I walked down the streets, making my way to the shops. It was only a 10 minute walk so I didn't mind. Today felt good. Better than every other day. I felt confident in myself and there was something about it that just made me smile. I had a new song to play that I'd been working on for the past two weeks and it finally felt good. My songs were okay, though there was lots of room for improvement. I think a lot of my songs sound like a copy of blink-182, and some don't melt together like a song should. This one was perfect, and I couldn't wait to play it live for the first time. I walked into the music store, grabbing a fresh set of guitar picks, the cheapest, and quickly paying at the counter, heading out again to the little cafe just round the corner. I pushed the glass door open, the wind blowing inside and swirling round the busied cafe. It was a Saturday, meaning today and tomorrow I would earn a few extra pounds as the little coffee shop was full to the brim almost all day. Some faces had become familiar to me now, even some names, as people came in here routinely, some every weekend, some every morning.

"Morning Jonathan," I smiled, waving at the man behind the counter. He returned my smile, giving me a small nod and going back to polish the little, pearly white coffee mugs. I climbed up on the small stage at the back of the coffee shop, taking out my guitar and positioning myself on the stool in front of the microphone. I strummed my guitar quietly, making sure it was tuned. It was. Though I still had to check and tweak it a little. I clicked the button on the mic and cleared my throat.

"Hello, my names Alex Gaskarth, I am a singer and guitar player. Some of you may know me already, I've been the live music entertainer here for almost a year now. Today I have a brand new song to play for you guys. But I'll play that a little later, hopefully when a few more people are in. It's a bit different to what I normally play but I'm sure you'll enjoy it." I smiled, bringing my gaze down to my guitar, placing my fingers on the correct chords and beginning to strum one of my songs, Last Flight Home. It was one of my first songs, and normally the first one I played at my "shows." A few people clapped after my speech, which I greatly appreciated. Every bit of encouragement counts. I spent the next few hours playing music, earning tips from the odd customer on their way out. People came and left all day, faces swarming in and out of the cafe every few minutes. But one man stayed all day, from the minute he walked in. He wasn't somebody I deemed familiar, and it sort of worried me knowing he was in a coffee shop for over 4 hours, at one point moving tables to the one right in front of the stage. I played my set a few times, including the new song and a few covers. The song I had spent so many weeks on was named Dear Maria, Count Me In and had received the most applause I'd ever gotten for my music. I was very proud of myself.