Chapter 2: Foiling Dumbledore

Harry awoke the next morning to an uproar of noise. He dressed quickly and ran downstairs following the voices. As he came closer, he could make out bits of the conversation.
"...of all the ridiculous..."
"...I can not believe he would do..."
"...the nerve!"
"...he knows where Harry is!" Harry finally entered the room and found his parents and aunt and uncle clustered around a table, arguing.
"Has something happened?" They instantly fell silent and turned to Harry.
Bella spoke first. "Dumbledore is on the offensive, Harry. Look." She handed him a copy of the morning Prophet. Harry gaped at the headline before reading on.
HARRY POTTER MISSING!
As of 5:00 pm last evening, the whereabouts of Mr. Harry James Potter, known to many as the Boy Who Lived, are unknown. Headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbldore was contacted by Mr. Potter's distraught guardians when he failed to exit through the barrier from Platform 9 ¾ to King's Cross Station proper. Several students have been questioned, and while they apparently are unaware of Mr. Potter's whereabouts, they were able to confirm that he was, indeed on the train home.
Rumors are rife as to the cause of Mr. Potter's disappearance. There is speculation that Mr. Potter may have been taken by Dark witches or wizards unknown. Headmaster Albus Dumbledore has asked that anyone with any information as to Mr. Potter's whereabouts contact him by owl immediately. This reporter sincerely hopes that Mr. Potter is found soon, as it would be a terrible blow to the wizarding world to lose him.
-Rita Skeeter
For the story of the Boy Who Lived, turn to page 6.
For more information about Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, turn to page 8.
Harry looked up at his parents, clearly incensed. "He knows perfectly well where I am. What is he playing at?"
Tom spoke first. "It appears that Dumbledore is hoping to cast aspersions on our characters. Should you be seen with us, the wizarding world will assume we kidnapped you." Harry looked up at his father, suddenly understanding exactly what the headmaster had done. He would not be able to be seen in public with his family.
Raw, elemental anger built up, causing Harry to literally see red. The adults looked at him, awestruck as they sensed the aura of power emanating from Harry. Suddenly, the aura disappeared, and a very evil grin spread across Harry's face.
"I say we beat him at his own game."
"What are you suggesting, Harry?" asked Bella.
"Aunt Cissy, Uncle Luke, you must have contacts at the Daily Prophet."
"Well of course, Harry."
"We'll need one of their reporters. Anyone but this Rita Skeeter. I think I'd like to give an interview. Oh, and they had best bring a cameraman.
***RotR***
The next day, Harry woke early, eager to see the Daily Prophet. He was positive his news would make the front page. After all, how many people publicly declared Dumbledore a liar and a bully?
Sure enough, his mother handed him the morning Prophet with a smile the moment he walked into the dining room.
"You did well, Harry," said Bella.
"Yes, son, it was quite an inspired idea. You achieved your purpose quite well. I'm proud of you." Harry smiled at his parents' praise, happy to have earned their approval. Curious as to how his words had been relayed, he looked to the article.
There, on the front page, was a large photograph of him sitting on the sofa giving his interview. Clearly, he had been "found". This was followed immediately with the headline:
Harry Potter: "Let me tell you the truth!"
At 9:00 am yesterday morning, the Daily Prophet received an owl from Lucius Malfoy requesting a cameraman and reporter for an interview. It was I, Albert Cartwright, who was dispatched, and, to my great amazement, met with Harry Potter. I introduced myself to those present and was warmly received. Mr. Potter requested that we proceed in standard interview format, I could ask questions and he would answer. "Just ask me questions," he said. "Let me tell you the truth about Albus Dumbledore's allegations." The following is a faithful account of our interview.
AC: Mr. Potter, did you come to Malfoy Manor directly from the Hogwarts Express?
HP: Please, call me Harry. And yes, Mrs. Malfoy Apparated me here.
AC: Why did you not inform your relatives?
HP: I did. My older brother Alexander came with me and I knew the Dursleys wouldn't care.
AC: But they have been quite distraught.
HP: I seriously doubt that. I simply cannot believe that the people who treated me worse than a house elf and forced me to live in a broom cupboard for nine years care anything about what happens to me.
AC: Harry, they are your relatives! Surely they would never...
HP: Believe me, they would. You wouldn't believe what monsters Albus Dumbledore left me with. The Malfoys, however, have treated me like family, and were kind enough to invite me to visit them during all of my holidays from school. I would be perfectly happy never to see those good-for-nothing muggles ever again.
AC: That is a rather harsh view against muggles.
HP: Oh, no! You misunderstand me. I have nothing against muggles in general, just those. One of my best friends, Hermione Granger, is muggleborn. Not only is she top of our class, but her parents are absolutely lovely.
AC: I see. Should you not have at least told someone where you were going?
HP: I saw no need. By the 1834 Addendum added to the Charter of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, any student who is the sole remaining member of his or her family line need ask no one for permission to visit friends or extended family. And by the requirements laid out in the Great Charter of British Wizarding Law, I am the last of the Potter line. I have no legal duty to inform anyone, and I cannot feel any moral duty to the people who made most of my childhood a living hell. Pardon my language.
AC: Of course. But what about the Headmaster, or your Head of House?
HP: My brother, friends and Head of House, Professor Snape, were aware, however, I did not wish them to pass on the information to the headmaster.
AC: Why is that?
HP: He attempted to stop me visiting the Malfoys last time I told him. If it weren't for Hermione's knowledge of wizarding law, he would have succeeded, too.
AC: I'm sure he felt he was acting in your best interests.
HP: That would be speculation, and, as I said, I wish to tell you the truth.
At this point, Mrs. Riddle, sister to Mrs. Malfoy, offered refreshments. I gladly partook, then, after a few photographs, took my leave. I thanked them all profusely for the interview, however, Mr. Potter's final remark to me was, "Thank you, Mr. Cartwright, for allowing me to provide the truth."
In all, it was a very pleasant afternoon with a very pleasant family. Of course, for this reporter, far more questions were raised than answered. Why did Albus Dumbledore not check to ensure that Harry was with a kind, loving family? Why would said family pretend to be distraught? Why did Mr. Dumbledore attempt to keep Harry Potter from his friends? This list goes on. However, despite everything poor Harry has endured, he is a nice, caring, intelligent, young man.
Among the article, pictures had been placed at opportune lines. Harry's favorite was a rather woebegone picture of himself near where he had said the Dursleys didn't care. It was genius. He looked to his parents with a smile.
"Mr. Cartwright is bloody brilliant, isn't he?"
"Harry!" chided Bella. "Mind your language."
"Sorry, Mum. But don't you..."
"Yes, dear, it was very well done. Far better than that sorry excuse for a witch, what's-her-name Skeeter." When Draco and Alexander came downstairs, Harry showed them the article. Harry watched their expressions as they read. It changed from shock to awe to delight.
"Harry! This is brilliant! Dumbledore will have a fit! Do you think he'll retaliate?" Narcissa looked to her son.
"We have no way of knowing, Draco. We can't push too hard yet. We don't want him to know everything. We'll just have to wait and see."
"Well I think you were brilliant Harry." Alexander added, although his attention was soon torn away from the paper when Violet came into the room. For some reason his mother had a soft smile on her face.
Harry turned to his parents. "When can you remove the spell, father?"
His parents looked to each other and sighed. "Harry, we feel it would be more prudent to wait. As soon as Dumbledore sees your true form, he'll know your father has returned. That is not something we're ready for. It would be best to leave you as you are for now." Harry's face fell. He was tired of looking as he did. He wanted to see the real him in the mirror. He no longer wanted to look like the people who stole him.
"Very well, if you truly think it's for the best."
"Thank you, Harry. I understand it must be difficult for you." Harry nodded at his father.
"Cheer up, Harry. At least you get my good looks for a while longer." Alexander said with a smirk. Harry smiled as well.
"And there's another bright side, now that the article is published, we can all be seen in public." Bellatrix said. Harry brightened at the thought.
"Can we go to the cinema?" He took in his family's puzzled faces. "Haven't you ever been to the cinema?"
"Er...Harry," started Draco. "What exactly is a sin-a-ma?"
"It's where you go to watch movies." At the blank looks he received, he quickly explained the general idea of movies.
"And you say muggles invented these?"
Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, Uncle Luke."
"Father can we go to one of these moo-vees?"
Lucius turned to his son. "Associate with muggles?"
"Sure, Uncle Luke. They're nothing wrong with most of them. And movies are quite fun."
"Moovies do sound like fun!" Violet said with a smile.
"I'm definitely in!" Alexander said.
"Father, if Harry says muggles are alright, then they must be."
"Very well, Draco, we shall see about going later this week."
"Thank you, father."
"Yes, thank you, Uncle Luke. Mum, Dad, you'll go with us, right?"
"Of course, Harry dearest." Harry looked to his father.
"Wouldn't miss it for the world, son." Harry smiled, pleased. He had only ever heard about going to the cinema from Dudley gloating, and now he would get to go with his family.