Chapter 21: Parties

The days before the "Veritaserum Party" passed quickly, and the day itself dawned bright and cheerful. Every current student in Slytherin house had agreed to come, as Harry had hoped they would. They arrived by floo, Apparition, and side-along Apparition, depending on their years. Harry had made sure that any parents who arrived were shown into the drawing room where Lucius, Narcissa, Bellatrix, and Tom were waiting to greet them.
Harry had "admitted" the truth to his parents about the party. He had told them he was hoping someone might know more about what was going on than they had previously allowed especially after the Memorux incident with Violet. As such, he felt they would have a better chance of getting any students to admit things if their parents weren't there. Tom and Bella both agreed that this sounded like a good plan, and were willing to keep any parents busy. As the last student arrived, Harry sent Dobby to bring Hermione. A couple moments later, Dobby was back, along with a rather shocked-looking Hermione.
"Harry, I don't think I like traveling by house elf. It's even more uncomfortable than traveling by Apparition." She noticed Dobby's ears droop at that and hastily tried to correct her mistake. "Oh, Dobby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything against you. I'm just not used to it. I don't really like Apparition either, if that makes you feel better." In true Hermione fashion, she also hugged the little elf, which brought a shocked smile to his face.
"Dobby is ok, Miss Miney! You is very good to Dobby. Dobby is thankful. Master Harry, Dobby is getting your snacks now!"
"Thanks, Dobby. " Harry led Hermione to the sitting room where they were having the "Veritaserum Party". Harry and Draco both thanked everyone for coming, then starting the meeting.
"You all know why we're here," started Draco. "This Chamber of Secrets problem at school has cast a shadow on our house. We have to figure out some way to overcome that shadow. In order to do so, we need to gather as much information as possible about the Chamber. Now, before we really get into this, my house elf, Dobby, has enthusiastically created a new recipe for us. Dobby?" Dobby appeared and somehow managed to bow low without dropping any of the massive pastry on the floor.
"What is that, Dobby?" asked Harry.
"Dobby is reading about this from a muggle cookbook. The recipe is calling it Monkey Bread. You is trying it, Master Harry? You will be liking it." Dobby offered him the massive pastry, and Harry saw that it appeared to be hundreds of small pieces of dough stuck together and coated with a syrup of some sort. As he reached for a piece, he noticed that there were two slice marks. Obviously Dobby had put two cakes together. Harry instantly knew that the small slice did not have any Veritaserum in it. He pulled off a chunk of bread from that slice and ate it.
"Wow, Dobby, this is great! You're an amazing chef." Dobby blushed and thanked him before offering the same area to Draco. Harry saw Draco notice the slice marks and take a piece from there as well. When Draco had declared the pastry delicious, Dobby "sliced" the bread and left the piece on the table in front of Harry, Draco, Hermione, Luna, Alexander and Violet before going around to all of the students and offering them the cake.
As proper manners dictated, everyone took some, and they all ate their piece, as the six friends were eating theirs. When Dobby had made it halfway around the room, Dottie, who was in on the scheme, came in bowing and apologizing profusely that the tea was not ready yet. Harry didn't catch the reason why, as Dottie seemed so distraught. He wasn't even positive she gave a reason. Draco just shrugged.
"It's ok, Dottie, just bring in some water for now. Don't worry about it. It's ok." Dottie popped away and returned a moment later with a huge tray of glasses of water. She levitated a glass to each person and said she'd be back as soon as the tea was ready. Dobby gave the last person some of the pastry and popped away as well. As the last people finished their pastry, Harry stood.
"Well, now that we've all had our snacks, I think the most obvious question to ask is, what do we know about the Chamber? Has anyone not heard Professor Binns' story?" A couple of people mumbled that they had not, so Hermione relayed the story, almost word-for-word. Harry thanked Hermione then turned back to the assembled students. "Does anyone know anything else?" A seventh-year stood and offered her story.
"I heard my parents speaking about it. Apparently the Chamber has been opened before. It was about 50 years ago, when my grandma was at Hogwarts. I understand a girl died."
"How?"
"It was some kind of poisonous bite. They couldn't figure out what kind of venom it was and were unable to save her."
"So it must have some type of fangs?"
"I suppose so."
"It's sure to be some type of serpent," said a third-year girl. "Especially seeing as how it's said to be Slytherin's monster. Slytherin must have had some kind of serpent." There was a murmur of agreement before Harry asked if there was anything else that was happening that seemed odd, or out of place. After a moment of silence, Ginny Weasley stood and admitted that she had a few suspicions about someone in Gryffindor house.
Harry frowned, knowing what she meant by that. He gave his friends a quick look. After another few moments where no one ventured any other information, Draco called Dottie to see if the tea was ready. She replied that it was just finishing. She popped out and returned a few seconds later and passed the tea around, which, of course, everyone drank, effectively nullifying the effects of the Veritaserum without anyone being the wiser.
The "party" went on for about an hour, with few suggestions made as to how they could get the school to stop suspecting the Slytherin house. All-in-all, it was a very ineffective meeting, but no one seemed very concerned about that fact. They had had a good time bashing the other houses, with the occasional reminder that not everyone in every house was stupid or ridiculous. Harry pointed out the Weasley twins as an example and Alexander and Violet. They were all obviously smarter than the average Gryffindork.
When the pauses between topics started to become noticeable, Draco and Harry once again thanked everyone for coming and wished them a Happy Christmas. The house elves showed the students out (or to their parents) until just Ginny, Harry, Draco, Luna, and Hermione were left. Harry had given Ginny a quick look as the other students were leaving, letting her know that he wanted to speak with her.
"Ginny, I didn't want to call too much attention to your revelation in front of everyone else, but, when did you start suspecting someone in Gryffindor house?"
"Halloween. My brothers mentioned strange hissing coming from the girls dorm at night."
"I think you should talk to a professor about that."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"Ok, then. I'll talk to McGonagall."
"Good. Let me get Dobby to walk you out."
"Would you be willing to, Harry? I have a couple more questions for you." Unsure what else to do, Harry agreed. Her questions turned out to be about stupid things, like if he thought the Slytherins were becoming more accepting o her. He really hadn't paid that much attention. Harry nearly breathed a sigh of relief when they reached the fireplace.
"Ok, here you go, Ginny." He offered her the pot of floo powder. However, as she took it, she pressed up against him.
"Thanks, Harry. You're always so kind and helpful." As she grabbed the pinch of floo powder, she gave him a kiss. However, before Harry could react, she had stepped into the fireplace and vanished in a flare of green flames. Harry wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.
"Stupid Weasley," he muttered. "God, if she's this bad now, she's going to be a real easy one when she's older." He headed back to the sitting room, stopping in to see his parents and aunt and uncle on the way. They were the only ones left in the room.
"Are you all ready, Harry?"
"Yes, Mum. We can do the tests now."
"Did you find out anything useful, dear?"
"Not really, Mum. Just that the Chamber has been opened before. About 75 years ago. And that a girl was killed by a poisonous bite. And that there was hissing coming from the girls dorm in Gryffindor Tower at night."
"Well, at least that's a lead. And the hissing could be Violet. She has a habit of talking in Parseltongue in her sleep."
"I suppose." Harry led the adults back to the sitting room where Draco, Hermione, Luna, Alexander were all involved in a discussion. Violet was sitting quietly off to the side, a strange look on her face.
"...It all makes sense! It would explain why we couldn't hear it..." Harry cleared his throat, not wanting to get into this discussion with his parents there. He was pretty sure he knew what Hermione had been referring to, and he agreed, but for now, they had other things to deal with.
"Are you all ready for your blood magic test?" Hermione, Draco, Luna, Alexander, and Violet nodded then listened to Lucius' instructions. This time there were five bowls and five pieces of parchment. Lucius performed the cleaning charm to avoid contamination, they all pricked their fingers, and they all squeezed in the ten drops of blood. Lucius poured in the navy liquid, then they all watched as the parchments glowed, and the glow faded. Luna, Hermione, Violet, Draco and Alexander each hesitantly reached forward and grabbed their parchments.
"Hermione, why don't you go first?"
"Ok, Draco." She cleared her throat and read:
Hermione Jane Granger -Bloodline: Muggleborn
–Mother: Emma Granger –Father: Dan Granger
–Godmother: Elizabeth Deaton –Godfather: Robert Harvey
–Notable Magical Ancestors:
–Familiar:
–Hereditary Magical Prowess:
–Current Magical Core Strength: 140
–Talents: Charms, Transfiguration, Potions, Herbology, Ancient Runes, Arithmancy
"See, father, I told you she would have more talents than me."
"Amazing. And a magical core strength of 140 already!"
"Violet you next love."
Violet Bellatrix Nashira Riddle -Bloodline: Pure
–Mother: Bellatrix Riddle née Black —Father: Tom Marvolo Riddle
— Godmother: Narcissa Malfoy née Black — Godfather: Lucius Malfoy
–Notable Magical Ancestors: Salazar Slytherin(F), Helga Hufflepuff(F), Merlin(M)
–Familiar:
–Hereditary Magical Prowess: Paraseltounge, Occlumency, Legillimency
–Current Magical Core Strength: 187
–Talents: Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, Care Of Magical Creatures
"That's rather impressive my dear."
"Luna, I think you should go next."
"Alright, Hermione." She looked down at the parchment.
Luna Lovegood -Bloodline: Pure
–Mother: Stella Lovegood –Father: Xenophilius Lovegood
–Godmother: Bellatrix Riddle –Godfather: Tom Riddle
–Notable Magical Ancestors: Cliodne (F), Ptolemy (F), Rowena Ravenclaw (M), Godric Gryffindor (M)
–Familiar:
–Hereditary Magical Prowess: Occlumency
–Current Magical Core Strength: 160
–Talents: Charms, Magical Creatures, Potions, Herbology
"Wow, Luna! 160! You're going to be a brilliant witch! And you're related to Gryffindor and Ravenclaw! Between us we have the whole set!" Luna laughed as she blushed at Harry's praise.
"Thanks, Harry, that means a lot coming from you." She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, causing Harry to hold the spot with a dazed look on his face. To bring him back to the present, Alexander
cleared his throat and read his parchment.
Alexander Fleamont Potter -Bloodline: Pure
–Mother: Lily Potter née Evans —Father: James Potter
— Godmother: Alice Longbottom née Blackwood — Godfather: Frank Longbottom
–Notable Magical Ancestors: Rowena Ravenclaw(F), Godric Gryffindor(F), Ignotus Peverell(F)
–Familiar: Augurey(Willow)
–Hereditary Magical Prowess: Occlumency, Legillimency
–Current Magical Core Strength: 193
–Talents: Charms, Potions, Care Of Magical Creatures
"Very impressive." Tom said with a nod.
"Looks like we're distantly related Luna." Alexander said with a smile.
Next was Draco.
Draco Malfoy -Bloodline: Pure
–Mother: Narcissa Malfoy –Father: Lucius Malfoy
–Godmother: Bellatrix Riddle –Godfather: Tom Marvolo Riddle
–Notable Magical Ancestors: Merlin (M), Agrippa (F), Queen Maeve (F)
–Familiar:
–Hereditary Magical Prowess: Legillimency
–Current Magical Core Strength: 140
–Talents: Transfiguration, Potions, Herbology
Draco look at his parchment, pleased with the results.
"140, that's pleasant. I knew I wouldn't come close to you, Harry, but that's still pretty good. I guess we're a pretty talented group, huh?"
"I'll say. Dumbledore better watch out when we're older. We'll be able to take him down. Father, do you have any idea what Dumbledore's magical core rates?"
"I've only heard rumors, Harry. It's been said that it rates around 250, but I doubt that's true. I've held my own against him, and if he truly rated 250, he could have taken me down easily by sheer power alone." Harry nodded thoughtfully.
"We'll have to consider what is to be done with this knowledge. For now, we'll keep it between us. Luna, Hermione, you should probably be getting home before your parents worry." They nodded, and while Harry led Luna to the fireplace, Draco called Dobby to take Hermione home. Hermione gave Draco a hug and a kiss on the cheek before Dobby popped her away, leaving Draco with a dopey smile on his face. Luna also gave Harry a hug and a kiss before she left. Harry not only had a dopey smile, but he stood staring at the fireplace for a few moments.
***RotR***
The evenings from then until Christmas were occupied with parties. Harry enjoyed seeing his friends and classmates. Finally, the night of the Malfoy Christmas party arrived. Harry stood with his family in the receiving line. He was happy to see everyone, and was incredibly surprised when Hermione and her parents stepped up.
"Mia? Wow! It's good to see you. This is a surprise!"
"Mrs. Riddle invited us. It was very kind of her." Harry smiled at his mother, very obviously thankful. Luna was one of the final people to arrive. Against proper protocol, Harry gave her a hug before she moved on. During the hug, he whispered in her ear.
"Save me the first dance, Luna."
"Ok, Harry." Bella had made sure that Harry and Luna were seated next to each other during dinner, and, as soon as dinner was over, he escorted her to the ballroom. Harry and Luna, Draco and Hermione, Alexander and Violet, Tom and Bella, and Lucius and Narcissa opened the evening's dancing. Harry twirled Luna effortlessly.
"Have I told you how lovely you look, Luna?"
"No, but thank you. You look rather nice, yourself."
"This reminds me of our first meeting. Do you remember?"
"Of course, Harry. How could I forget?" Harry smiled. He really liked Luna. She was a wonderful friend. And rather pretty too. Harry tried to ignore the little voice at the back of his mind. When the dance ended, Harry led Luna back to her father, as custom dictated, despite his desire to dance with her again. He danced with Daphne next, which was a bit awkward, as they hadn't spoken much since Hermione had cast the body bind on her the year before.
"Daphne, I want to apologize for last year."
"It's ok, Harry. After the story got out, I understood why you did it. You thought you were saving something. It was a little extreme, but I wasn't going to let you by. Hermione apologized ages ago, and we're ok."
"Really?"
"Yes. How else do you think we survived in the same dorm for so long?"
"Oh, good point."
"You boys never consider things like that."
Harry shrugged. "I suppose." After their dance, Harry danced with Violet, Hermione, Pansy, and his mother before dancing with Luna again. He then danced with Narcissa, Millicent, Tracy, a third-year he didn't really know, and then Luna again. This last dance earned many whispers, as it was quite unusual for a pair to dance more than two dances together. Harry, however, didn't really care at this point. Harry danced with a few more people, but, when he moved toward her to dance again, his mother stalled him, reminding him that there were many girls he had not danced with.
"Mum, I don't really care about tradition, I like Luna," Harry whispered.
"I know, but you should. Now is not the time to make changes. As part of the hosting family, or, as some see it, as a guest at the house of the hosting family, you are expected to follow traditions and protocol." Luna came up to them just then, having seen Harry coming towards her, and knowing why Bella had stopped him.
"Harry, your mother is right. I appreciate the honor, but remember, I see you every day at school. You must take your duties seriously, and dance with those who expect it. I won't be upset." Luna was successful where Bella had failed. Harry listened to her and did as was expected of him.
Harry was relieved when the night was over. He bid Luna, her father, Hermione, and her parents, the last guests to leave, a tired good-bye. He gave Hermione a hug, and, at the last moment, decided to kiss Luna's hand, unwilling to do more when her father stood behind her.
***RotR***
Christmas morning, two days later, brought with it the laughter and eager shouts of good morning from Harry and Draco. They woke Alexander and Violet up, then their parents and raced down the stairs to the sitting room, where Dobby and Dottie served breakfast.
Harry and Draco, in a fit of high spirits, started gallivanting around the Christmas tree. They ran round and round, eagerly awaiting their parents. Alexander and Violet came downstairs with a smile. When the adults entered the sitting room, they abruptly called a halt to the energetic display.
"Harry! Draco! Really, what is the meaning of this?" Harry and Draco nearly instantly stopped. The abrupt halt made Harry unsteady, and he fell backward, landing on a gift. He jumped up, instantly contrite.
"I'm so sorry! Oh no! I didn't mean to! Please, I, I think I can fix it. Don't...please don't punish me!" He seemed to curl in on himself. Bella and Tom were horrified by this revelation, obviously a remnant of his time with the Dursleys.
"Harry! Harry!" shouted Draco. "It's ok! We can most likely repair it."
"Really?"
"Yeah, depending on what it is." He reached under the tree and pulled out the flattened package. "It's yours anyway, Harry. It's from Ginny."
"Oh. Well, shall we start opening our gifts?" Draco and the adults laughed at this and sat down to receive their gifts. Harry opened the one he was holding first. It turned out to be one of the few things that could not be repaired: food. Ginny had given him chocolates. He felt better about having destroyed it, knowing that it was a small gift, and that it was from Ginny. It wasn't very important.
They all opened the rest of their gifts. Harry received clothes, books, candy, and toys. His favorite gifts, however, were from Luna and his father. Luna had given him a set of silver cufflinks for use with his dress robes that exactly matched the chain she had given him for his birthday. His father had given him an old, out-of-print book on Parseltongue.
"Make sure to keep this book hidden, Harry. It has long been considered a book on Dark Arts."
"Why?"
"Because Dumbledore made the wizarding world believe that Parseltongue is a Dark talent. When he managed to convince everyone of this, all media about Parseltongue, as well as other talents and abilities considered Dark, were banned from regular sale outlets."
"Then how did you find this one?"
"It used to be mine. My mother gave it to me. Her father and brother were able to speak Parseltongue as well."
"Oh, thanks! That means a lot, father." Everyone thoroughly enjoyed his or her gifts. Draco challenged Harry to a game after dinner. Bella captured the rest of their Christmas Day with her BookCam. Tom's gift from Harry and Violet's gift from Alexander were last. They decided to give Violet hers first. Dobby carefully came down with the box from Alexander. She opened it and let out a gasp. Harry sat up to look inside seeing a pretty looking gold and white bird with four wings.
"Is that a Thunderbird?" Bella asked in amazement. Alexander smiled and nodded.
"I figured that there was a reason Violet had a Thunderbird Tail feather core in her wand."
Violet smiled and gently petted the small bird who cooed happily.
"I don't think Hogwarts will let you take her there, but you never know." Everyone smiled at how much Violet's mood had improved in this short amount of time.
Harry then  called to Dobby and asked him to bring out his present. Dobby popped away and came back with his back to Tom. He handed the snake to Harry.
"Thanks, Dobby."
"You is welcome, Master Harry."
"Father, I have someone I would like you to meet." Harry held out Nagini, who hissed excitedly.
Nagini would like to become your familiar, father. Will you let her?
It would be my honor, Nagini. Tom held out his hand and Nagini slithered onto him. She bit him, injecting a bonding serum, rather than poison. Somehow, Harry could feel what was happening. He could see the surprise on his father's face as the serum traveled through him, bonding Nagini to him for the duration of her life. He would be able to communicate with her far more easily, and each would know if the other was in peril, a very useful ability, considering she was a poisonous snake and very able to defend her master.
Nagini, are you able to bond to more than one person?
Yes, of course.
I would like you to bond to my mate as well. You will like her.
Of course, master.
"Bella, I'd like Nagini to bond to you as well. Will you let her?" Bella eyed the snake wearily, but stepped forward and offered her hand. Nagini bit Bella, injecting her with the bonding serum as well. Again, Harry felt the bonding.
"That was amazing. I didn't realize a bonding was so intimate. And she's such a pretty snake."
Thank you, mistress. They all gasped.
"You can understand me? Wait, I can understand you?"
Yes mistress. It is part of the bonding.
Bella, darling, can you understand me?
"Oh my goodness, yes, I can! Tom, this is amazing!"
"Indeed. We'll have to look into this more. However, it is getting rather late in the day, and we have yet to have lunch. Shall we?"
"Oh, of course Tom." With that, they all headed to lunch with new things to think about.
A few days later saw the entire Malfoy household readying itself for the annual New Year's Eve party. This year, the Goyle family was hosting it. They arrived a couple minutes early so Draco and Harry could speak with Greg. They had drifted apart, forming two groups of four: Harry, Luna, Draco, and Hermione; and Greg, Pansy, Vince, and Millicent. None of them resented the drift, and they were all good friends. The two groups, however, worked better as they had rather different tastes. Alexander and Violet stood off to the side by themselves.
When more people started arriving, the Malfoys, the Riddles, and Alexander moved away so as not to slow the entrance of others. They stayed relatively close to the door, however, so Harry and Draco could say hello to their friends. They were incredibly surprised by the arrival of one family in particular.
"Harry! Draco! It's good to see you again." They both whipped around, amazed to see Hermione with her parents. It was one thing for Bella to have invited them. She had taken a great liking to Hermione for helping make sure Harry made it home for Christmas the previous year. But to be invited to the New Year's Eve party meant that she was being accepted by Pureblood society. Good manners, of course, dictated that her parents be invited as well.
"Mia, wow, you look amazing!" said Draco. "Mr. and Mrs. Granger, it's good to see you again."
"You as well Draco. Both you and Harry look quite nice in your dress robes." Both Harry and Draco mumbled embarrassed "Thanks". Harry was somewhat surprised to see the Grangers dressed in full witch and wizard regalia. They could easily have passed for the elite of society, and were easily accepted by the witches and wizards present. Hermione had been working tirelessly since she first learned they would be invited to the Malfoy Christmas party to teach her parents the intricacies of wizarding culture and vocabulary, and they did very well. They were able to explain things to the witches and wizards in terms that they would understand, making them rather popular.
Many Pureblood witches and wizards were secretly curious about the muggle world, and this was the perfect opportunity to ask about it. During the ball, Mrs. Granger was a popular partner, and Mr. Granger asked many witches to dance as well. The only negative thing anyone came up with against them was that they were muggles, but to many, it didn't seem to matter as much when it came to the two dentists.
As Harry spun his own dance partners around the hall (following proper etiquette this time) and while he ate dinner and watched the witches and wizards clamor for a seat near the Grangers, he could sense a change in Pureblood society was just around the corner, and Hermione was almost single-handedly making it happen.