Chapter 22: The Search and Valentine's Day

The morning they were to return to Hogwarts, Harry quickly packed using a clever spell he had found in one of the books he had received for Christmas. He had been practicing it for the last few days. It worked brilliantly, and within moments he was fully packed.
"If only there was a charm like that for homework," he said. Unlike Draco, Harry hadn't finished his homework. He still had one essay left, and he planned to finish it on the train. After a quick breakfast, they Apparated to King's Cross. Harry, Luna, Draco, Hermione, Alexander and Violet claimed a compartment on the train by stowing their luggage on the racks, then joined their parents who were all gathered as a group, talking and laughing. Within moments, Ginny Weasley appeared at Harry's side, much to his annoyance.
"Hello, Harry. How was your vacation? Did you miss me?" He stepped away from her, closer to Luna.
"No, not really. We all had a very busy break."
"Oh." Ginny was thrown off guard. Her gift should have taken effect by now, but Harry was still obviously entranced by that Lovegood slut. "Um, I guess I had better get back to my family then."
"Yes, that's probably for the best." Ginny walked away, wondering what her next step should be. Maybe she could try the chocolates again at Valentine's Day. She'd certainly made enough.
Harry watched her walk away with a calculating look. He had a sneaking suspicion she was up to something, but he wasn't entirely sure what. A quick touch on his arm by Luna recalled him to the conversation, and he readily joined in reminiscing about the New Year's Eve party.
All too soon, however, the whistle blew and the students all clamored onto the train. The little band of friends quickly made their way back to the compartment they had claimed earlier. Once they were seated, Harry commended Hermione on how well she and her parents had fit in at the New Year's Eve Party.
"I'm amazed that you're changing the ideals of the Pureblood society so quickly," said Draco. "I didn't think it could be done."
"Well," said Hermione. "It's why I was placed in Slytherin."
"What do you mean, Mia?" asked Harry.
"Well, that's what the Sorting Hat told me. It said that was to be my goal in Slytherin, to change views."
**Flashback**
"Granger, Hermione." Hermione ran to the stool and jammed the hat on her head.
Ah, another muggleborn. Wonderful, we can never have enough of you. Oh, and you're very special, aren't you? You've amassed quite a bit of knowledge about the wizarding world already. Quite an achievement.
Thank you, Sorting Hat.
Oh, and so polite. I like that in a student. Now, where should I put you? You obviously have a great mind, and you're rather brave. Loyal too, I see.
I just want to do really well. I want to prove that I can do as good or better than those who grew up knowing about the wizarding world.
Ah you mean the non-muggleborns.
Yes.
Well, that's quite an inspired idea, and rather revolutionary in our world.
I know, but it's what I want.
Well, then, I'll help you start a change, on one condition.
What is it?
You must truly work to affect this change. You will be its catalyst; the spark that starts the flame.
I can do that.
Very well, I hope we can speak again. But for now, you'd best join... "SLYTHERIN!"
**End Flashback**
"You see? It's what I was meant to do. And I think I'm doing it rather well." Draco, Harry, and Luna sat there stunned. No one had ever heard of the Sorting Hat doing something like that.
"Goodness, Mia, I didn't know it was possible for you to be even more special. You're amazing!" Hermione blushed at Draco's praise.
"I'm just, you know, following through on my promise." Hermione cleared her throat and began again. "Anyway, on a different note, I really think we should research what kind of creature is in the Chamber. I think we can safely say it's a serpentine creature." They all agreed with that.
"Well," said Luna. "We should probably start with a list of what we know about this serpent."
"Good idea, Luna," said Harry. Hermione pulled out a quill and some parchment. "So, let's see...what do we know about it?"
"It can petrify things: ghosts, cats, people, and probably other living things too," said Draco.
"It's poisonous. I'm pretty sure we can assume that the poisonous bite that killed that girl came from the serpent."
"Good point, Luna. And remember we found scorch marks. Do you think it's possible that it breathes fire?" Alexander added.
"Alexander, it's a serpent not a dragon."
"Oh. Right. Well, anything else?" They all sat in silence for a moment, thinking hard.
"You know," started Hermione. "What about the spiders? I remember them scurrying away from the site of Mrs. Norris' attack."
"I remember there were spiders scurrying away from the place the Hufflepuff and Binns were petrified."
"Ok, so I guess we have our list. That should be enough things to look for." They talked about their holidays and the gifts they had received (Hermione loved her book, and Luna was wearing her bracelet, and Violet had on her necklace) until they were nearing the school. Harry and Draco were already in their school robes, but Luna, Hermione, and Violet needed to change. The boys respectfully left the compartment to give them privacy.
A few of their classmates passed by as they were waiting. Most of them skirted Harry like he had the plague, but the Slytherins, at least, greeted them warmly. Finally, Luna, Hermione, and Violet opened the door for them. Within minutes the train was pulling into Hogsmeade station, and they all hurried out and into the carriages waiting for them.
They all greatly enjoyed the welcoming feast, and went to bed early with fully bellies. Harry and his friends spent the next few weeks popping into the library whenever possible to research serpents. Luna searched through book after book in the animal section. Hermione tried the section on dark magic, hoping to find a reference. Draco wondered if the book they needed could be found in the restricted section, and Harry wandered along the shelves randomly pulling down books with useful sounding titles.
Their search was interrupted on Valentine's Day. When they woke on February fourteenth, they all had every intention of continuing their search. However, the serpent and their search for it fled their minds when they entered the Great Hall. They thought, for a moment, that they'd walked through the wrong doors. The walls were all covered with large, lurid pink flowers. Worse still, heart-shaped confetti was falling from the pale blue ceiling. They all went over to the Slytherin table, where Harry and Draco sat down looking sickened, and Hermione and Luna joined a bunch of girls who seemed to have been overcome with giggles. Alexander was laughing as well. Violet had a small smile on her pale face.
"What's going on?" Harry asked Marcus Flint. Marcus wiped confetti off of his bacon before pointing to the teachers' table, apparently too disgusted to speak. Lockhart, wearing lurid pink robes to match the decorations, was waving for silence. The teachers on either side of him were looking stony-faced. From where he sat, Harry could see a muscle going in Professor McGonagall's cheek. Professor Snape looked as though someone had just fed him a large beaker of Skele-Gro.
"Happy Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all — and it doesn't end here!" Lockhart clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly-looking dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs, however. Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps. "My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"
Professor Flitwick buried his face in his hands. Professor Snape was looking as though the first person to ask him for a Love Potion would be force-fed poison.
"Please, Hermione, tell me you weren't one of the forty-six," said Draco as they all left the Great Hall for their first lesson. Hermione suddenly became very interested in searching her bag for her schedule and didn't answer. All day long, the dwarfs kept barging into their classes to deliver valentines, to the annoyance of the teachers, and late that afternoon as the Slytherins were walking upstairs for Charms, one of the dwarfs caught up with Harry.
"Oy, you! 'Arry Potter!" shouted a particularly grim-looking dwarf, elbowing people out of the way to get to Harry. Hot all over at the thought of being given a valentine in front of a line of first years, which happened to include Ginny, Luna, and Violet, Harry tried to escape. The dwarf, however, cut his way through the crowd by kicking people's shins, and reached him before he'd gone two paces. "I've got a message to deliver to 'Arry Potter in person," he said, twanging his harp in a threatening sort of way.
"Not here," Harry hissed, trying to escape.
"Stay still!" grunted the dwarf, grabbing hold of Harry's bag and pulling him back.
"Let me go!" Harry snarled, tugging. With a loud ripping noise, his bag split in two. His books, wand, parchment, ink, and quill spilled out onto the floor. He was suddenly very thankful that he was a wizard. With a few quick waves of his wand, he had repaired his bag, cleared the spilled ink from everything, repacked his bag, and silenced the dwarf. Harry had never been so glad to have read through the books he had received at Christmas. The spells were proving quite handy. He turned to the dwarf who was now glaring at him.
"If you want to deliver a message to me, you'll do it how I want it, when I want it. Now, follow me!" He led the dwarf to an unused classroom and quickly locked the door and cancelled the silencing spell. "Now, what is this bloody message that is so important to give me?"
"Hmph. You dinna have to treat me so. I were asked to give yer this message: My dearest 'arry, would you be so kind as to mee' me in the entra'ce hall before dinner. I would like to give you a gift. Signed, a dear friend." Harry immediately thought of Luna. He had planned to give her her gift at dinner anyway. He unlocked the door.
"Ok, you've delivered your message, now, get out of here and let me get to class." The dwarf toddled out the door and down the hallway. Harry made it to class just as the bell was ringing, earning him a glare from Professor Flitwick. Charms seemed to crawl by as Harry anxiously awaited dinner. Finally, the bell rang, and Harry dashed out the door and down the steps to drop off his bag. He grabbed his gifts for Luna Hermione (he had bought candy for Hermione with Darco's approval) and his sister and raced back up the stairs. Just before he entered the Entrance Hall, he stopped to catch his breath. Harry assumed he was out of sight, but Ginny spotted him and was about to wave him over when her brothers Ron and Percy stopped her.
***RotR***
"You aren't honestly going to give that idiot Potter a Valentine's Day gift, are you, Ginny?"
"Sod off, Ron. What I do is none of your business! Now go away before he sees you!" Ron reached forward and grabbed the parcel she was holding.
"Anything you do is my business, you're my little sister. Now, what did you get that wanker?" He opened the box and inhaled. "This is some of Honeydukes' best chocolate. That brat isn't worth this. Percy, you want some?" To Ginny's horror, they each ate a chocolate.
"No, don't! Give that back! Please don't eat them! I won't give him any, just don't eat them!" She knew her arguments were futile, however. She had asked Dumbledore himself to place a compulsion charm on them. Her brothers wouldn't stop eating until they were gone, and it was already too late.
"These are really good, Ginny. Thanks! Wish there had been more, though." Ron looked at Percy. "Did you enjoy them too?"
"Oh, yes. They were delicious. I can't believe we finished them so quickly. Do you have any more, Ginny?"
"You already ate fifty of them! There were fifty in that box. Do you have any idea what you've done?"
"Ginny, you look absolutely adorable when you're angry. Have I told you that?"
"Oh, no! It's starting!" Come on, I have to get you to Professor Dumbledore. Maybe he can help. Stay here!"
"And let you wander off alone, dearest sister?" asked Percy. "How could I? I must accompany you. Here, let me hold you." He gave her a hug, which Ginny quickly pulled away from. She ran at full speed to the head table.
"Professor Dumbledore!" she gasped. "I need to speak with you, immediately!"
"Miss Weasley, now is hardly the time."
"Please, Professor." She looked up at him, begging him to understand.
"Very well, follow me to my office." Ginny followed him, and her brothers followed her, both thinking they had never noticed her slim waist or the delicate sway of her hips before. Once in his office, Dumbledore rounded on Ginny.
"What have you done this time, you stupid girl?"
"I didn't do anything! My brothers ate the chocolates!"
"And these would be the chocolates that you have tried twice to give to Mr. Potter, that you have twice failed to get him to eat, and that are laced with the love potion that has no antidote, is that correct?" Ginny hung her head.
"Yes, sir."
"Well, then, it seems that you are as much of a failure as your brother Ronald. You lost the journal, although you luckily got that back. You failed to give Harry Potter a love potion twice. It was such an easy task. I can't see how you managed to have such difficulties completing it. Well, as you are here at school, I think I shall handle your punishment." Ginny looked up at him fearfully and noticed a wicked glint in his eyes. "Do you have any idea the effect the potion will have on your brothers? They must have consumed quite a bit of it."
"They ate the entire box. Fifty in all, sir."
"Fifty? My goodness, yes, they did ingest a decent amount. Well, as we know that the potion must be ingested regularly, we can safely assume that your brothers' bodies will, eventually, metabolize the potion and the effects will wear off. I would wager that it could take up to three days. And, they seem to have such amusing side effects." Ginny followed his gaze and saw that both of her brothers were grinning at her and had rather large bulges. "Miss Weasley, do you have anything at all to say for your failures?"
"No, sir. I just go unlucky."
"Unlucky? Well, if that is how you view it, I believe it is safe to say that you are about to get even more unlucky still. Come along you three." Dumbledore led them through a door hidden behind a tapestry. With a snap of his fingers, the lights came on, and Ginny realized it was a small, round, windowless room furnished with sleeping bags, blankets, etc. I think this will serve well for them to sleep off the effects, don't you Miss Weasley?" Ginny sighed with relief.
"Yes, sir. It will be perfect."
"Meals will be delivered thrice daily. And in here, no one need be exposed to public embarrassment."
"Oh, thank you, sir. I appreciate it so much."
"I'm quite glad to hear it. Enjoy your stay then."
"Sir?" However, Dumbledore did not even bother to answer. He merely closed the door behind him, leaving Ginny Weasley trapped in the room with her two brothers, who were currently feeling very lucky. As the first screams started, he cast a quick privacy charm on the door, effectively soundproofing the room. He also excused her from class for the next few days citing an injury. It would also explain why she would be walking with a bit of a limp once she rejoined her classmates.
***RotR***
Meanwhile, Harry had worked up the courage to enter the Entrance Hall, but couldn't find Luna. After about twenty minutes of waiting, Harry, now rather less enthusiastic, walked into the Great Hall, only to find Luna sitting next to Draco and Hermione. That confused him. He quickly joined his friends who asked what had taken him so long.
"I was waiting out in the entrance hall."
"What for, Harry?" asked Luna.
"I got a message asking me to do so. I thought it was from you."
"No, I'm sorry, Harry. I was waiting for you here. I was actually just about to go look for you. I have your gift here." She held it out to him with a smile, and he took it.
"Thanks, Luna. I have your gift here, too." He held it out to her and smiled happily when she kissed his cheek.
"Thanks, Harry."
"You're welcome, Luna," he answered, dazed. Hermione giggled, and he shook his head to bring him back down to earth. "Here, Hermione, this is for you." She thanked him and was very happy to receive some sugared candy. They all knew she wasn't allowed sugared candy at home as her parents were dentists. He gave his sister her candy next. Harry turned back to Luna to see her looking down at her gift with a dreamy smile. When she noticed him looking at her, she hugged him.
"Thank you, Harry! It looks like my charm bracelet is going to get filled quickly."
"That's my goal. Two, maybe three a year, every year." Harry helped her add the charm to her bracelet. It was a snake, to represent the mysterious serpent in the Chamber of Secrets. They spent the evening after dinner talking and laughing, and no one even noticed that Ginny was gone.
About a month after Valentine's Day, just as they were beginning to give up hope of ever finding an answer, Luna found it in Dangerous Beasts not Well Known to the Magical World. She marked the page and gathered her friends from around the library.
"I think I've found the answer. Listen to this:
Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more feared than the Dracolisk, know also as the King of Serpents. This dragon-basilisk hybrid, which may reach gigantic size and live many hundreds of years, is born from a dragon's egg hatched beneath a sphinx. The Dracolisk is the rarest creature known to wizard kind, with only six ever reported to exist. It has a long serpentine body with many pairs of feet and large wings. Its methods of defense are most wondrous, for aside from the deadly and venomous fangs it inherits from its serpent background and the ability to breathe fire it inherits from its dragon heritage, the Dracolisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant petrification. Spiders flee before the Dracolisk for it is their mortal enemy.
It sounds like it fits."
"I agree, Luna. It's perfect. The ability to breathe fire even explains the scorch marks. I guess you were right about that, Alexander," said Hermione approvingly.
"Great job, Luna," said Draco. Harry sat in silent contemplation of the article. The phrase "King of Serpents" leapt out at him. He knew, almost instantly, that he was going to have to go down to the Chamber. "Harry? Do you have anything to say?"
"Oh. I was just thinking that now that Luna figured out what animal is down there, we have to find the entrance to the Chamber. Great job, Luna." He hugged her, hoping to cover for his distraction. Luna smiled at the gesture, not fooled in the least. She just wasn't entirely sure what had distracted him.