Chapter 6: School Shopping and Lockhart

On August 2nd, the day after they received their Hogwarts letters, the Malfoys, the Riddles, and Alexander went to Diagon Alley to buy their school things. As they passed through the arch into Diagon Alley, Harry, Draco, and Alexander read over their new booklist, while Violet read over her first year book list:
SECOND-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE:
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk
Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart
Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart
Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart
Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart
Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart
Alexander and Violet required similar, but Violet needed her first year books, Alexander his third year books.
"What's all this crap?"
"Draco! Such language!"
"Sorry, Mum. I just don't understand why we need a full set of Lockhart books."
"Do you really?"
"Yes, Mrs. Malfoy."
"Who on earth would assign those books? Everyone in our circle knows they're complete rubbish." Harry, Draco, and Alexander all shrugged then followed the adults to Gringotts.
Their first order of business was to acquire a withdrawal card for Harry. Alexander needed to check on several of his accounts. Lucius, as the only one with any experience with a withdrawal card, led Harry over to an open desk and nodded to him to step forward. Harry looked up to the goblin.
"Hello, Sir. I would like to obtain a withdrawal card for my account. And my brother wishes to check on his accounts."
The goblin looked surprised at Harry's form of address. "Do you have your vault keys?"
"Yes, Sir." Harry pulled the key out of his pocket. Alexander pulled his key out next, which was much larger than Harry's and far more ornate. "Here it is, Sir."
"And mine, sir."
The goblin examined Harry's key for a moment, although he glanced at Alexander's. "This key is to vault 687, the Potter trust vault."
Harry nodded. "Yes, Sir, I'm Harry Potter." It took all his effort to say that now hateful name and Alexander gave him a look of sympathy.
The goblin studied him for a moment, appearing to make some decision. "Please come with me, Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy. Mr. Gryffindor." They followed the goblin into an obviously warded meeting room. The goblin gestured to the chairs. "Please, have a seat." They did so. "The request you have made is of a delicate nature. I understand you have full access to the Potter trust vault and will have full access to the Potter vault when you reach majority. However, you are not Harry Potter. There has never been a Harry Potter. There has been an Alexander Potter, but he was disowned from the family." Harry glanced at his uncle and Alexander nervously. "I am prepared to grant your request. However, in order to do so, several arrangements must be settled."
"Which arrangements, if I may ask," inquired Lucius.
"Albus Dumbledore has made some financial arrangements with regards to the trust vault. As Mr. Potter is now taking full control of the vault, it is his decision whether they continue."
Harry swallowed his anger. After all, he reminded himself, it's not actually my money. "And what would they be," he asked.
The goblin snapped his fingers and a scroll of parchment appeared before them.
"Cool," said Harry. "But, before we proceed, might I know your name, Sir?"
The goblin stared at Harry in shock. "My name?"
Harry completely misinterpreted the reaction. "Oh, no! I'm really sorry if I offended you. Please, forgive me."
Although the goblin's lips twitched, he managed to otherwise contain his laughter. "You misunderstood me. I was merely surprised by your request. My name is Ragnok."
"Oh, I understand. Thanks Ragnok." Harry gestured to the parchment. "May I see the arrangements?"
Ragnok pushed the parchment to him. "Be my guest."
Harry nodded and took the parchment, holding it so he, Alexander, and Lucius could read it. In a flowing script was written:
The following financial arrangements have been put in place for vault 687 by one Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore:
Yearly transfer to a muggle bank account belonging to Mr. Vernon Dursley in the amount of 24,000 pounds.
Yearly transfer to the Weasley family vault belonging to Arthur Weasley in the amount of 500 Galleons.
Yearly transfer to the Lupin family vault belonging to Remus Lupin in the amount of 100 Galleons.
"Ragnok, please cancel these arrangements effective immediately."
"I believe the transfers for this month have already occurred. Would you like them reversed?"
"Yes, please. I didn't realize that was possible. Also, is it possible to bar Dumbledore form meddling in my account?"
Ragnok flashed him an evil smile. "Of course, it would be my pleasure. Permit me a moment."
Harry nodded then turned to his uncle and Alexander as Ragnok left. "Can you believe he was paying those muggles?"
"Yes, I can. But we had best conclude this business quickly. Our families are waiting for us."
"I can't wait to imagine the look on that old walrus's face when all his money is gone." Alexander said with a chuckle. Harry laughed as well.
Ragnok returned with several parchments that required a blood signature. Ragnok produced a silver dagger and instructed Harry to prick his finger, then allow one drop of blood to fall on each document. As Harry did so, Ragnok explained what each was.
"A termination of the arrangements made by Albus Dumbledore; an order of revocation for the funds transferred yesterday; a statement barring Albus Dumbledore from use of your vault; a statement of acceptance of your inheritance; and a statement of issuance for your withdrawal card which you will receive shortly. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
"No, thank you very much, Ragnok. May I come to you with future inquiries for my vault?"
Ragnok looked at Harry, confused. "Do you mean you wish to place me in charge of the Potter vaults?"
"Oh, yes, that would be even better. How do I do that?"
"Allow me to bring my records so you may view them first. I am sure you will find them satisfactory."
"No need. You've dealt with me fairly; I just want you in charge of my vaults."
Ragnok replied, shocked. "Very well, I shall see to them."
"Thanks, Ragnok. It was a pleasure doing business with you. I'm sure we'll meet again soon."
"Good day, Mr. Potter."
"Harry Riddle. Though I ask for your discretion."
"Of course. Good day, Mr. Riddle." Harry and Lucius walked back out to the main hall where their families were waiting. Before they left another goblin came over and handed Alexander several sheets of paper which he quickly looked over and handed back to the goblin, making a few suggestions. When they were finished they bowed to one another. Another goblin was waiting with them and bowed as Harry, Lucius, and Alexander approached. As Harry looked at him, his eyes widened in recognition.
"Hi Griphook. It's good to see you again."
Griphook stared at Harry, shocked. "You remember me?"
"Of course. It was my first day in the wizarding world. I remember everything."
Griphook nodded. "Here is your withdrawal card, Mr. R...Potter. Now, which vaults do you all wish to visit?"
"Vault 687," said Harry, holding out his key.
Bella held out a key as well. "Vault 722."
Lucius also held out his key. "Vault 910."
Alexander held out his as well. "Vault 1035."
Griphook took the keys and nodded. "Which vault would you like to visit first?"
"It would probably be easiest to start with the furthest and work our way up," said Tom.
"Very well, follow me." They all followed Griphook to the mine cart tunnel and Harry was surprised to see a very large cart appear. He had expected there would be connecting carts. They all climbed in and the cart took off.
The cart went so fast that within the hour they were all standing outside, ready to start their shopping. Harry had been amazed by his parents', aunt and uncle's, and Alexander's vaults. They were enormous, and held a lot more than money. There were family heirlooms, books, relics, even furniture. Harry was pulled out of his reverie by Draco asking where their shopping would start.
"We can start wherever you like, Draco," replied Narcissa. Draco smiled and pulled everyone along to Quality Quidditch Supplies. Harry eyed the new Nimbus broom for a moment, then turned his attention to the Quidditch gear. Draco managed to convince his parents to buy him the new Nimbus 2001, but Harry was still perfectly content with his Nimbus 2000. Alexander was tempted to buy one, but he decided against it.
"I'm going to try out for the house team this year. I know they need a new Chaser."
"I hope you make it, Draco. It would be great to have you on our team." Their parents smiled, happy that their children got along so well, and that there was none of the jealousy they heard about so often from other families.
Their next stop was the apothecary to stock up on potions ingredients and get everything Violet needed for her first year, then Madam Malkin's for new school robes and cloaks for the boys and Violet's first set. Harry stopped at the stationer's for more parchment and ink, and even found an "Eversharp" quill. Its tip would never break, so he'd never have to sharpen it. Alexander was very proud to see several of his brands of ink on the shelves.
Next they went to Ollivander's so that Violet could get her wand. It went rather quickly much to everyone's surprise. Violet's wand chose her the second she walked in the store, knocking down several other wand boxes 'in its excitement' as Ollivander put it. It was cedar wood with strangely a Thunderbird tail feather core with a piece or quartz inlaid on the end. They payed for it and headed to the next shop.
At Eyelop's, Harry purchased some owl treats for Hedwig while Draco, now slightly regretting his broom request, was denied his own owl. Their final stop was Flourish and Blotts. They had been avoiding it because of the long lines that had been present all day. Now, however, they had no choice, as it was their last stop.
As they drew nearer, they saw that the line was almost entirely made up of witches, most of them in their 30s and 40s. When they reached the store, they saw the banner hung above the door: GILDEROY LOCKHART will be signing copies of his autobiography MAGICAL ME today 12:30pm to 4:30pm. Harry and Draco groaned. Alexander remained silent, but the look on his face was one of pure annoyance.
"It figures. On the day we come for our supplies." They managed to make their way around the line, after all, none of them wanted a signed book, and past the harassed-looking wizard at the door who was desperately trying to maintain some sense of order.
The line wound right to the back of the shop where Gilderoy Lockhart was signing his books. The Riddles, the Malfoys and Alexander wound their way through the shop collecting the books they all needed, and the books they all wanted. Unfortunately, Narcissa's interest in a new decorating guide (she was considering remodeling her sitting room) took them right to the back of the shop.
Harry, Draco, Alexander and Violet took in the scene before them with disgust. Gilderoy Lockhart was seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd. The real Lockhart was wearing robes of forget-me-not blue that exactly matched his eyes; his pointed wizard's hat was set at a jaunty angle on his wavy hair.
A short, irritable-looking man was dancing around taking photographs with a large black camera that emitted puffs of purple smoke with every blinding flash.
"Out of the way, there," he snarled at Draco, moving back to get a better shot. "This is for the Daily Prophet—"
"How dare you," spat Draco, rubbing his foot where the photographer had stepped on it. Gilderoy Lockhart heard him. He looked up. He saw Draco — and then he saw Harry. He stared. Then he leapt to his feet and positively shouted, "It can't be Harry Potter?" The crowd parted, whispering excitedly; Lockhart dived forward, seized Harry's arm, and pulled him to the front. The crowd burst into applause. Harry's face burned in anger as Lockhart attempted to shake his hand for the photographer, who was clicking away madly, wafting thick smoke over Harry's family. Violet looked ready to charge at Lockhart, but Alexander held her back.
"Nice big smile, Harry," said Lockhart, through his own gleaming teeth. "Together, you and I are worth the front page."
"I hardly care," replied Harry, pulling his hand back. "I have no desire to be pictured with you." He turned his back on Lockhart and walked back to his family. "Can you believe the nerve of that man?" asked Harry loudly. "I do not desire to have my picture thrown around without having any say in it. I don't want publicity." The patrons of Flourish and Blotts looked at Harry with either astonishment, approval, or a mixture of disgust and anger.
"Ladies and gentlemen," said Lockhart loudly, waving for quiet. "What an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time!" He had obviously chosen to ignore Harry's words.
"When young Harry stepped into Flourish and Blotts today, he only wanted to buy my autobiography — which I shall be happy to present him now, free of charge —" The crowd applauded again. "He had no idea," Lockhart continued, "that he would shortly be getting much, much more than my book, Magical Me. He and his schoolmates will, in fact, be getting the real magical me. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have great pleasure and pride in announcing that this September, I will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!"
The crowd cheered and clapped and suddenly Harry found himself being presented with the entire works of Gilderoy Lockhart by one of Lockhart's assistants. Staggering slightly under their weight, he managed to make his way back out to the front of the room, closely followed by his family.
"Her Violet, you can have these." Harry said, dumping the books into Violet's cauldron. "Let's get the other books and get out of here."
"The nerve of that man!" fumed Bella. "He had no right to do such a thing." Harry smiled up at his mother, but the moment was ruined the next instant.
"Bet you loved that, didn't you, Potter?" said a voice Harry had no trouble recognizing. He turned and found himself face-to-face with Ron Weasley, who was wearing his usual sneer.
"Famous Harry Potter," said Weasley. "Can't even go into a bookshop without making the front page."
"Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!" said Ginny Weasley. Harry was incredibly surprised she was defending him against his brother. She was glaring at Ron. "You heard him just fine, he doesn't want publicity."
"Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend!" drawled Ron. Ginny went scarlet as her parents made their way over. "It's too bad my sister has such bad taste."
"Ronald Weasley," screeched Mrs. Weasley. "Apologize to your sister and Mr. Potter. How dare you say such things?" She turned to Harry and his family. "I am sorry; he's rather the bad egg of the family." Ron turned an odd shade of purple and mumbled something under his breath that no one could understand. "I expect you to do better than that, Ronald."
"Forgive me, Mr. Potter," he spat out. Harry just gave him a sharp nod. After a few quick good-byes, the adults all moved to the register to pay for their purchases. Harry and Draco turned to follow them, but Ron suddenly grabbed a book from Draco's arms.
"Handbook of Do-It-Yourself-Broomcare? You can't even figure out how to take care of a broom, Malfoy?" Harry and Alexander had to hold him back at this point.
"As if you'd know what to do with a broom, Weasley, I bet you've never even held one." Ron launched himself at Harry, knocking him backward into a bookshelf. Dozens of heavy spellbooks came thundering down on all their heads; there was a loud yell of, "Ronald Weasley!" from Mrs. Weasley before Ron was suddenly pulled off of Harry by an irate Tom. Violet and Alexander immediately rushed to Harry's side, helping him up as Tom held Ron back. Harry noticed that his father was doing everything he could not to say anything, obviously not trusting himself to speak at the moment. Ron had a cut lip and had been hit in the eye by an Encyclopedia of Toadstools. He was still holding Draco's book. He thrust it at him, his eyes glittering with hate.
"Here, take your bloody book back. You need as much help as you can get." He pulled himself out of Tom's grip just in time for his mother to grab him by the ear.
"I can't believe you, Ronald. You won't be leaving the house until you go back to Hogwarts. If you put another toe out of line, we may not even send you back." Harry grinned at Draco as Mrs. Weasley's voice faded away as she dragged Ron out of the store. Ginny stopped to say good-bye to him before she left, followed by her brothers who muttered there apologies. Last to leave was Mr. Weasley.
"I know we hardly get along, Lucius, but I apologize for my son. I have no idea what has gotten into him. He had no right behaving as he did. Mr. Potter, do forgive us." Harry nodded to the older wizard.
"No harm done, Mr. Weasley." With that, Mr. Weasley left the shop, and Harry and the others went to pay for their books. With a quick wave of her wand, Bella set the bookshop back to rights, then followed her family up to the front. Harry was very glad that Flourish and Blotts was their last stop. He didn't think he could have taken any more excitement. They all Apparated back to Malfoy Manor and enjoyed a quiet evening in.
***RotR***
When the Weasley family returned to their home, the Burrow, Mrs. Weasley immediately floo-called Albus Dumbledore. He stepped out of the fireplace a moment later.
"How did it all go?"
"Perfectly, Albus. Ginny played her part to perfection. Ronald, however, has now officially ruined whatever chance he had left to ever make friends with Harry." Albus looked at the assembled Weasleys.
"Where is he now?"
"In his room upstairs. He's been punished." Albus nodded.
"Very well, Ginevra, keep up the good work." Ginny blushed and smiled.
"Thank you sir, I will." Albus stepped back into the fireplace and disappeared in a flash of green.