Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Excerpt

Love holding your Wattpad stories in book-form? Order a print copy of Until We Break now!

If you're like me and pick up a book on wattpad just to get a feel if you'll like it enough to finish it, here's your feel. Enjoy!

*

"The Riverside Dance Academy has something to prove this year," Mr. Carson pronounced. "We can't afford to waste any time or money." Naomi watched the worry swing across the room like Newton's cradle, hitting dancers down like bowling pins. She wasn't sure where everyone else's solace came from but hers was in the feeling of Jessica's hand resting on her shoulder.

"Relax," Mr. Carson consoled, "if the role wasn't meant for you, you won't get it. It's that simple." Many of the girls groaned. "But, if it was made for you," he continued, "then there's nothing on earth that can prevent you from getting it. I believe that."

The dancers hardly allowed that to sink in. Immediately questions were thrown around out of frustration and worry and Mr. Carson did his best to tackle them all but soon, a clear limit was reached. "Look," he boomed, "if that scares you, get out. Save me the trouble because this is ballet. This is what dancing in the real world looks like. You don't plan for things but they happen. The real dancers are the ones that can adapt. If you can't deal with that then leave." His voice had carried and the studio walls held, but still, no one moved. So, Mr. Carson exhaled. "Good, let's get started."

He moved all the dancers to stand on the left while he moved himself to the right of the room. Then he began. "So, I won't be training beginners. We simply don't have the time this year." The room quieted and he took a breath. "Girls, if you cannot walk on pointe, leave," he swiftly worked his shoes off from the ankles and when he didn't hear any footsteps, he added base to his voice. "Now!" Everyone watched as a group of little girls traded fearful glances before dropping their chins and walking out.

"If you haven't been doing ballet for at least ten years, leave."

"If you've never danced the Nutcracker, leave."

"If you can't do at least ten fouettes, leave."

With every criterion, a regretful group of dancers walked out and by the time Mr. Carson was done, the studio population was cut in half. Aspen smirked at the realisation. "Good," Mr. Carson concluded, satisfaction in his tone and hands on his hips. Naomi let out a breath. "Now we start the auditions."

The dancers that were left whimpered. Some slumped their backs and others cursed under their breaths but Naomi only took her bottom lip between her teeth and furthered herself to the back so she could grab the barre. She glanced at herself in the mirrored walls and shivered at the girl looking back at her. Here she was, presented with the opportunity of a lifetime and yet she didn't feel the slightest hint of excitement. Only anxiety and nervousness.

The NYC ballet company was coming here, to Riverside and Mr. Carson's programme was her best avenue to get scouted. She wanted to get in, no, she needed to get in. She couldn't imagine what her parents would say if she didn't.

"They won't say anything, because you'll get in fine." Jessica was beside her in the mirror. She smiled at her. "Just breathe."

Across the room, Mr. Carson was moving at a drastic rate. He let people in almost as often as he kicked people out and before Naomi knew it, he was pointing to where she was standing. An icy shiver crawled up her spine. "Name?" All eyes landed on her.

She turned around with Jessica at her heel and took a breath. "Naomi Morgan."

Author's Note
The first few chapters will be a little slow but I put this here just to let y'all know that when things get going THEY GET GOING. If you liked, please vote and add to your library ❤️. If you're interested in more content from me as a creator check out my website and blog! Links are in my bio!

 If you're interested in more content from me as a creator check out my website and blog! Links are in my bio!

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER...

When the girls were the only ones left, Jessica leapt to her feet. Spontaneously, she suggested they go to Ben's, as she always did after practice, and outstretched her arm. Naomi grabbed it without a thought and the two quickly scooped up their belongings and dashed out the studio door. They went through the corridors of the Fox Performing Arts Centre, racing against the setting sun and laughing at the dread of dusk.

Then, when they pushed open the Centre doors and the cityscape broke free before the, they simply walked into it. But Jessica realised something Naomi didn't. She grabbed her hand. Not a second later...