Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Chapter Three

NAOMI SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

Sleep only unearthed memories, and memories only added salt to her gushing wound but tonight she was optimistic.

As she slid under her covers and waited for unconsciousness, Jessica sat on the foot of her bed. She was staring and silent. Naomi tried ignoring her and hoped, prayed, that her eyes would simply flutter shut, sleep would take her under and she'd wake up the next morning well rested for Mr Carson's summer programme. But of course, that didn't happen. It hadn't for a while now.

"Naomi, relax." Jessica was moving through the crowded Riverside sidewalk with a skip in her fast step as Naomi lagged behind in the bristling shoulders of strangers.

"Easy for you to say, you're playing black swan. The lead."

"The key to getting the lead, honey, is not caring about the lead."

"That doesn't make any sense."

Jessica shrugged and Naomi crinkled her thick brows. She was confused about how the other girl glided through the mass of bodies without so much of an effort. "Law of attraction, or something."

There were, actually, a few things that confused Naomi about her best friend. Firstly, was how her hair caught in the wind like something out of a movie. Its strands whispered to the breeze and streaked her face like stretched cotton. Then there was her skin. Though everyone else said it was pale, including herself, Naomi thought it was the most beautiful thing to watch. When she danced it glittered like porcelain and it when she jumped it smoothed over her muscles like silk. It was elegant in every way.

And probably worst of all, Naomi was confused that Jessica was oblivious to it all. She was obviously perfect, even now as she shifted through the crowd with a nonchalant tone and an easy smile, Naomi didn't think she'd seen anything else so...designed. And somehow Jessica Kingsley was still a stranger to her own peculiarity. "Are you listening to me?"

Naomi blinked. "Yes, of course."

She gave a look. "Really?" Then she turned around, her back in the opposite direction to the crowd. Immediately everyone just seemed to simply move around her. "Then what did I just say?"

Naomi opened her mouth and shut it again. She could try lying, but it seemed pointless. Her best friend would know. That and, as Jessica divided the sea of people before them on that Riverside sidewalk, keeping them in a tight undisturbed bubble, she wasn't sure her mouth could form any language.

"That's what I thought," Jessica laughed knowingly.

They were close to Ben's now, the little shop standing out on the urban lane when Jessica's mouth opened but her tone wasn't her own. "Do you really want to go to NYC?"

Naomi cocked an eyebrow at the seriousness in her face. "Of course."

Jessica shook her head, speaking with her small hands as she went. "I mean yes, you want to go to NYC, but I mean we could just go to the city and not go to the ballet company." Naomi didn't say anything. "We could just get away. Get out of Riverside, you know?"

An infinity went by in their tight bubble. Naomi opened her mouth slowly. "I don't-"

"Yeah, you're right. It's stupid." She smiled like nothing had even mattered in the first place. "I guess some of us are meant for ballet. Born for the life of dancing across stages and standing en pointe to an applauding crowd," She laughed to herself but it looked like she was laughing at the world. "I guess it doesn't sound so bad."

Naomi didn't think she herself was born for that life. Admiration, attention and beauty unattainable. But she knew without a doubt that Jessica was.

She woke up.

Her heart slammed against its cage, furious like a prisoner hungry for escape. Her breaths sputtered out her mouth as she helplessly slumped back into the frame of her bed and watched the darkness that enveloped her room. The Morgan house slept in silence. Nevertheless, Naomi knew that Jessica was still sitting at the edge of her bed. A different Jessica.

She said to her, "That was the same street that you-"

"Let's not talk about it." She smiled at her again like nothing had even mattered and stroked her cheek. "You have rehearsal tomorrow."

Naomi held her breath as she went down again. She only released it when her mind went back to that sidewalk. She pretended to sleep for a few more hours.

Author's Note

This week's dedication belongs to the one and only jadeaimers bc y'all she is so nice the world doesn't deserve her. She's such a loyal supporter and readers like her make me not want to throw my laptop away and strip for a living. ILYSM! Guys go follow her and check out her bomb ass reading lists. We know they're quality bc ya boi is on one of them! If you vote, comment and share, the next dedication could be you!

So, what do you guys think?
Naomi and Jessica's friendship- cute or cruel?
Comment your thoughts!

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER...

She shushed her. "Professionals get hurt every day, Naomi. Do you want this or not?" She couldn't say no. She didn't want to. Her fate had been sealed the second she befriended Jessica at the Academy. The second her parents came to her first recital. The second she realized she couldn't stop dancing, not now, not ever. It made her life.

Naomi nodded wordlessly, her hand dripping velvet...