Layla: A New Friend

I awoke before my alarm clock rang the next morning. It took me a moment to remember why I was so happy, but I soon recalled the events of the previous day.

I had a friend.

A real friend.

An actual, human being in my school was my friend.

I rushed to get ready and eat breakfast. I wasn't worried about how I looked anymore, because I knew that Melody wouldn't care. As long as I had someone to talk to, I was completely content.

I came down for breakfast within five minutes.

"I think that's a new record!" Mom exclaimed. "What's the rush?"

"I don't really know, Mom," I replied. "I think it's because I have a good feeling about today. Especially because I have a new friend."

"That's great, sweetheart!" She handed me my breakfast and I devoured it quickly.

Wow, I thought, I even have an extra couple minutes!

I used my time to look at my classes for the day. I memorized the room numbers, teachers and subjects just in time for the bus to come.

"Bye, Mom!" I yelled as I walked out to the bus.

I walked in to see Melody waiting for me in a seat towards the middle.

"Hey, Layla!" she greeted my with a smile.

"Hi!" I sat down next to her and we soon were engaged in conversation.

The bus ride went by very fast, in contrast to yesterday. Before I knew it, we were pulled up by the school.

Melody and I walked into the school together. Since we had most of our classes together, including homeroom, we could sit next to each other.

We chatted until Mrs. Braveheart finally announced the start of class.

"Hello, class! Today, we will get started on our first unit, Geography!"

***

Melody and I soon found that we had all of our classes together! I was wishing that we would, but I thought it wouldn't happen, as it was very unrealistic.

The day flew by fairly fast. My new friend and I never left each other's side. We talked whenever we had the chance.

At lunch, we sat together with Melody's friend, Genevieve. We had talked the whole time, and ignored the dirty looks that Brooke and her "clique" shot at us.

I like having friends. Scratch that, I love having friends.