Melody: Suspicion

Seriously? The one time I'm brave enough to stand up to Brooke, and I get in trouble? Isn't this supposed to be a good thing? I mean, come on- where's the happy ending?

I've tried avoiding Layla all day, but it didn't work. She kept dragging me everywhere like I was her pet.

She also locked me in a closet.

Not the point, though.

I don't want to do this. I don't want to get in trouble. I don't want to keep so many secrets locked inside of me. More importantly, I don't want to stop being Layla's friend.

This is getting out of hand. I have detention after-school today. It's my first detention in all my school years, and I'm really nervous.

I walked into the classroom hiding my sweaty palms and red face. I could practically feel the others staring at me as I walked through the door.

I sat down in a seat all the way in the back. It was a seat next to the window, where I could stare at the swaying trees and chirping birds.

I wonder... I thought. I wonder what it must be like for animals. Other than survival, they don't have a care in the world. Look at them- just roaming through the forest. Must be pretty ni-

"Excuse me." The boy next to me said, clearly interrupting my thoughts.

"Melody, right?"

"Maybe. Why?"

"Weren't you the girl who punched Brooke the other day? That was totally brave."

"Huh?"

"It's cool. I never liked Brooke. I've known her since preschool..." He paused. "and even then she was a diva."

I tried not to snicker, but that only made it worse. It came out a laugh.

"Pardon me Miss, but I don't see what's so funny." Mrs. Malone glared at me, and raised one eyebrow while scrunching her nose in disgust. Her twitching eye was beginning to freak me out.

"Ahem, uh- sorry ma'am."

"Better not happen again," she replied.

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked him.

"Daniel," he responded.

The detention bell rang, dismissing us all. "Well, thank you Daniel." I smiled and grabbed my stuff to take back home.

Buzz.

Oh well, I guess it's just another hate message from Brooke.

I crossed the street home, knocking twice on my front door.

Buzz.

This is getting annoying.

I reached for my phone, placing it on the table. I put away all my things, and checked my messages.

Nope. not her, but...

Layla.