Layla: Disaster Strikes

I woke up to a perfect day. The sky was nearly cloudless, and the trees and grass were rustling slightly to a light breeze.

The bus ride was completely normal; Melody and I chattered the whole way. We had plenty to talk about, and she had brought a magazine to look at.

We walked lazily up to the school from the bus loop.

"I wonder what Mrs. Braveheart has in store for us today?" I wondered aloud.

"I bet you it's something to do with--"

Melody was cut off by Brooke.

"What a geek," she said to her group, not troubling to keep her voice down. The other girls murmured in agreement.

"Ignore them," Melody said to me. "They just don't have anything better to do."

CRASH!

It was as if it happened in slow motion. I suddenly saw a foot swiftly slide in front of me. The next moment, I felt myself fall forward onto my face, and heard my book bag split open and its entire contents fly out.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" bellowed Melody. "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TREAT LAYLA LIKE THIS! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO ACT LIKE THIS!"

"Maybe because she's a loser?" Brooke retorted. All of her friends giggled. "Take a chill pill, Mel. Oh, and you might want to watch your attitude, or you'll get yourself in trouble."

I was still sprawled on the ground and I was close to tears. Melody was right; I've never done anything to Brooke or any of her friends. Why did they have to treat me like this?

While I thought, I watched Melody bite back a reply. The other girls giggled and ran to their next class.

"Are you okay, Layla?" Melody asked. "I'm so sorry about them, nothing they say is right about you. They're the losers here."

"I'm fine," I replied. "I don't know what I'm going to do about my bag, though."

She went over, picked up my books and put them in my ripped bag as I got up. I took the bag from her, holding it from the bottom where it was ripped.

"Thank you so much, Melody."

We walked to our homeroom and arrived with not a minute to spare.

***

The rest of the day wasn't eventful. I went on normally, but I did see Melody talking to Brooke about something, which was odd. I had more important matters on my mind, however, like how I would tell my mother what happened to my bag.

"How was your day-- What happened to your bag?"

I told my mom what happened. She deserved the truth. The next second, I found myself in her arms. Her comforting words were all I needed in the world.