Chapter 5: Thorins Past

(Katieas POV)

After all was done and a fire was started, all if us started to settle down. I glanced over at the brothers. They where happily chatting and smoking their pipes. I sighed and took a bite out of an apple I found in my bag.

*time skip*

I glanced at Thorin now and then who was laying up against a rock, I felt a little bit like a creeper with how many times I've already looked at him. "Lass...why do you keep looking at Thorin?" I jumped hearing Bofur voice as he say down next to me. "I...uh...I..." I went silent when I heard a slight screech from a distance. "What was that?!?" Bilbo said coming back a bit freaked out. "Orcs..." Kili said quietly. "Orcs??" Bilbo said in a worried tone. "Throatcutters...might be dozens of them out there." Fili said. "They strike in the wee small hours if the night when everyone's asleep. No cries, no screams...just lots of blood." Kili said. I felt purely terrified. I looked at Dwalin who only rolled his eyes. "You think that's funny?" I heard Thorin's deep voice chime in. "You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" He said. The two brothers got a look of guilt on their faces. "We didn't mean anything by it..." I heard Kili say quietly. "No you didn't. You know nothing if the world." Thorin looked dissapointed and annoyed as he stormed past Bofur and I away from the company. I looked back to the brothers and I could tell they felt bad.

"Don't take it to harshly lads, Thorin has more reason than most to hate orcs." Balin said coming to stand by them. I listened in while Balin told the story of why Thorin hated orcs. hearing what he has gone through. I also found a whole new level of respect towards him. "We where leaderless," Balin continued, "That is when I saw him, a young dwarf prince. Facing down the pale Orc." I gasped "he stood alone, his armor went, using an oak branch as a shield. He cut off the Orcs hand and Azog...the defiler learned that day, that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken." I looked to the ground processing what I just heard. "We fought back, and our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast...no song that night. For we we where in grief, we few that survived. I thought to myself...there's one who I could follow. There's one...who I could call king." I looked at Balin through sad eyes and sighed.

"What....what happened to him....Azog?" I asked quietly. "He died in his filth long ago." Thorin said coming back and joining the company. "Though there are still many many orcs that roam." Bofur said...seriously it's like this dwarf found joy in scaring Mr. Baggins and I. I looked at Fili who gave me a look of concern, he obviously knew I was scared and gestured for me to sleep by them. I stood and sat down between the brothers. "Don't worry Katiea, we won't let anyone hurt you." Fili said calmly before laying down with his back to me and I layed down on my back. I looked up at the beautiful night sky, I couldn't help but want to go and speak to Thorin....one on one. I leaned up and saw him sitting up by himself on the rocks ledge. I took a deep breathe and got up slowly walking over to him. "Mr. Oakenshield..." I said timidly. "Thorin." He said. "W-what?" I asked confused. "Call me Thorin." I nodded. "Thorin..." He nodded though did not look at me. "May I sit with you?" He nodded again. I sat down in silence with him.

"Something on your mind?" He suddenly asked breaking the tense air. "Well...I learned we have something slightly in common...after hearing that story..." I said in a grim tone and I could see Thorin looked at me out of the corner of my eye. "What?" He asked. "My dad...was a great hobbit." He looked at me wide eyed at the fact that I brought up my father "Where is he now?" "Well...he's dead now..." Thorin looked stunned but allowed me to continue.

"When I was a little girl...my dad told me that he was going to war, I didn't understand it very well but all I knew was that it ment he was going away, to this day I don't know what war he went to or...what it was for. I didn't see him for a very long time, but when I did he came home bloody and beaten and ill. I was so scared. I didn't want to lose my father, my grandmother, his mom, came and she helped my mother and I look after him...but one day when my grandmother was out to get food...she was killed. My mother and I didn't know how to tell my dad...I knew we had to but my mother didn't have the heart to given how sick and how beaten he was already. So I had to do it..." I stopped speaking.

((Thorin POV))

I stared straight ahead listening to what Katiea was saying but she stopped. I glanced and saw her with a emotionless face.I didn't really know how to explain, then she continued. "After I told him...he cried...and cried...then....he calmed down and fell asleep. I sat in a chair on the other side of the room and I thought he was okay...until his breathing slowed...then....just stopped. I didn't know what to do...I stood there frozen until I screamed when I realized what happened and shook him trying to wake him up..." I couldn't believe what I heard...she watched her father die. "I'm sorry for your loss...at least you have your mother." I said glancing down at her. "This may sound horrible...but I would rather have nobody than have my mother." She looked very depressed. Then she looked to me, her face was a pale tone which looked like snow in this moon light, her eyes where like shining emeralds, her brown hair framed her face elegantly even though it was messy...it still looked nice. She was beautiful. I never thought that a hobbit could have such amazing features...or eyes...or hair or skin. Though I was still confused as to where those large bruises where...and if there where more. "Katiea...where did those bruises come from?" I asked softly gesturing to her neck though hidden by the scarf. Then I noticed she started to shake as if holding in tears. "What's wrong?" I asked looking at her. She shook her head. "Nothing...it wouldn't matter to you." She stood and nodded to me. "Goodnight Mr. Oakenshield." She said before I watched her go and lay down between Fili and Kili.

I watched her toss and turn between them for a while before kili threw an arm over her and pull her towards him to keep her still. I thought it was funny...but I couldn't help feel a pang of jealously deep deep deep in the back of my heart. I sighed and nodded to Gloin who was to be on watch, and went to sleep.