III. Set the Bar

III. Set the Bar

Somehow, Celeste found herself making awkward eye contact with a familiar pair of striking green eyes in the middle of a Target around 9:30 at night. "Oh you've got to be shitting me. Have you been following me around Pires?"

"No way, if anything, it'd be the other way around. You showed up at the charity event I hosted." Julian smirked seemingly amused at the situation at hand.

"Take it as a sign," He added provokingly.

"I don't believe in that kind of stuff." Celeste grabbed some bananas and set them in her cart. They were both stopped in the fruit and vegetable area. Celeste was convinced that Julian had tracked her down and followed her. The charity gala had only been three days prior.

Other customers continued to pick out their groceries around the two. Julian looked a little disappointed, and it stirred something in Celeste. She sighed, "Do you want to go out for a drink? I don't have many groceries to get."

Just because she wasn't looking for anything serious, didn't mean they couldn't be friends.

"That is—if you're willing to be just friends."

"I'm a-okay with that. However, something inside me wants to challenge whether that'll be enough."

"Enough for who?" Celeste's made direct eye-contact while raising an eyebrow.

"You... but more so both of us." He said with a matter-of-fact tone.

Celeste scoffed, secretly enjoying their banter. She picked up a few cartons of strawberries, judging them. Making her decision, she tossed the carton into the cart. She noticed Julian picking up some kiwi.

"We could meet at the Ship's Pub downtown. What time do you want to meet?" Julian suggested the first place to come to mind, running his fingers through his long hair, it was time for a cut.

"Say an hour and a half. It shouldn't take me long to get home. Don't you have work tomorrow Mr. Billionaire?"

"I do, but lucky for me, I'm the boss, so I can come in as late as I want. Plus, I haven't taken any personal days lately, so I can afford to be a little late."

"And that's the worse case scenario?" Celeste grinned while shaking her head.

"Worse case." Julian affirmed confidently. To him, that grin was the most beautiful thing he saw all day. There was something about being around someone with a genuine personality. Someone who was just happy with being them self.

***

When Celeste arrived, she was caught in a trance. There was no way she could afford more than a drink there. The name alluded to a more ma and pa pub. That wasn't the case it all. It was more of an upscale bar, and Celeste was a little under dressed in ripped skinny jeans and a black off the shoulder blouse. Luckily, she was wearing a pair of black suede lace-up pumps with a skinny heel.

The bar was in fact sea themed; however, it fell within a mixture of modern architecture and design and maritime travel. It was crowded with women in skin tight mini dresses, usually on the arms of men who looked too old for them. Celeste gave the place a C+ rating. The concept was interesting, but the crowd was not her cup of tea.