- Chapter 24 -

Damian was going to his death. I was certain of it.

I stood back from window, feeling nothing but the pounding of my heart within my chest. I could not know such a thing for certain...But I did. I had no doubts. It made no sense, but the voices knew. They were certain, and they were rejoicing.

The exorcist will be dead, dead, dead, deaddeaddeaddead-

I clutched my head, gripping my dirty hair in hopes the pain would make it stop. It didn't matter. So what if Damian died? He was a madman...he'd kidnapped me...he thought that he somehow knew what was best for me...this was my chance to run. I could escape, out the window - but no, the drop was too sheer from three floors up...

The Beast will rip him limb from limb, give the reaper his prize. His blood will spill and sanctify. His true purpose.

I felt sick with their joy. My hands were shaking. Whatever Damian had gone to find, it would be the death of him. A Beast...a being of unnatural power...power to rival my own. But why? Why was it here?

Because you let it through, stupid girl. You'll let us all through. Open the door wider. Let your hatred deepen. Your shame. Your guilt. You deserve it all.

"No," I sat down on the edge of the bed, gripping the covers. I had heard my mother's voice amongst them, my father's voice...how could it be that the most painful things in my life were the very things they made bubble forth? As if they knew exactly what would crack my armor, the soft spots to twist their claws.

It was then that I realized: I could not let Damian die. I could not let them have what they wanted. Their joy spread through me like poison and their voices grew louder. I could not allow them to have their way. If Damian died...if he died...

I wanted to detest him. I wanted to not care. But I...

I began to scream.

I screamed as if I were being murdered, as if all the hosts of Hell were coming down upon me. I slammed my fists upon the walls and stomped the floor repeatedly. If that didn't bring Octavio running, then the boy was surely deaf.

Sure enough, when I paused in my screaming I heard footsteps pounding up the stairs. I smiled slyly, and maneuvered myself behind where the door would swing open, with a final blood-curdling scream for good measure. I waited there as the door was unlocked and flung open, and Octavio stumbled in.

I did not give him a moment to realize the trap he had fallen into. I flung myself upon his back, locking my arms tightly around his neck and jerking to the side, using my body weight to throw him off balance. He fell with a cry, his gangly body striking the floor to the side of me. With further screaming I got myself atop him and gripped my hands around his throat, squeezing just enough that his air was restricted. The poor young man looked as if he might faint, clawing at my hands and whimpering. I felt guilty for doing it, but I had little choice now.

I had to escape. I had to get to Damian.

"Please don't kill me," Octavio stuttered and gasped, his eyes squeezed shut as I slowly loosened my grip on his throat. He made no attempt to fight me. "Please...I think I might be sick..."

"Stop snivelling!" I snapped. "Where did Hearst and the priest go?" He began to shake his head weakly, so I gave him a quick throttling. "Where, Octavio?"

"Father Alexander has a-a church near...near the waterfront!" he cried. "The Cathedral of St. Benedict! Old...grey...terrible place...near the bridge between Bywater and Holy Cross...." He shuddered, his breathing coming rapidly.

Guilt ate at me, but I had what I needed. I leaned close, so I could whisper in his ear, and hissed, "Keep your eyes closed. Count to twenty. Pray you're still alive when you're finished."