- Chapter 42 -

Kiiji

Not a day passed that Kiiji did not miss the Upper Echelon with a burning, fiery longing. It was almost as intense as the longing for Damian's soul, but alas, the latter longing was just a wee bit stronger. Hence Kiiji still lingered there, 16 years after his ill-fated soul bargain should have come to a close. Lingering in that sticky, heavy, moist place that was the human world.

His body was a meat sack that never ceased to be pulled toward the earth's core. Everything thumped and pumped and rattled and creaked, and the burden of having bones was just a bit too much. He perpetually felt like a cow. Large and overly heavy and lumpy. Human bodies were vile.

Except Damian's. Damian's body was rather pleasing, although perhaps it was just that succulent soul inside waiting to be plucked. 16 years. 16 damn years for a soul. Kiiji swore that he was going to retire for a century when it was all over.

One would think that Damian's lifestyle would have landed the man dead years ago: constantly chasing demons, literally throwing himself into harm's way for every insignificant human that crossed his path, a penchant for whores and a love for rich food and good drink. The man should have at least caught syphilis by then, but oh no, of course he hadn't. Not demons, nor drink, nor sticking his dick in every willing whore who'd let him take the cane to her could take the man down.

And now her. Samara. Legion. She was Kiiji's best hope yet. A sweet sadistic little thing with a penchant for violence and a murderous streak. Intriguing. Alluring, in a...fleshy...kind of way. Damned Damian was already wrapped around her little finger...or perhaps it was the other way around. After all it had been Samara over his knee...a fascinating concept altogether. Peculiar humans and their masochistic desires, ever searching for the next fascinating stimulation. Kiiji couldn't personally understand the want for such intimate humiliation.

He could not deny that Damian made him curious, but alas: any such thing would certainly violate Title IV of the First Millenia Treatise on Relations with Transdimensional Beings. And he couldn't have that. He rather liked existing.

Being that he didn't need sleep, and certainly was not capable of it in the human sense - sleep, for a Reaper, lasted at least a decade - night time was particularly boring for him. He could never wander too far from Damian, as it made him anxious, and Damian wouldn't allow him to watch the man sleep. Kiiji's gaze gave him "the heebie jeebies" he said, whatever in Hell those were. So when night came about, Kiiji usually sequestered himself to the library on the second floor. It occupied the entire back corner of the house, on that floor and the one above. The fire was out by that time of night, and the room had a beautifully cold, stale feeling thanks to the windows that were nearly always kept covered in the interest of preserving the ancient tomes. It was the only place in the house that reminded him of home: all the old books carried with them the energy of centuries, passed through countless hands and scribed by countless pens. There was a feeling of eternity to it, of power, dust, and age. It was comforting.

Part of him had known that Damian would not die that day, though when he felt the presence of The Beast slip into the realm it did give him pause. The Beast was an ancient one, and had been asleep for centuries. Who could guess why he had chosen to slip through the gateway and inhabit the poor man? Maybe he had merely been bored. Whatever his reason, it had not been so pertinent for him that he was willing to fight for long once his host body was destroyed. He slipped right back into the Upper Echelon, and likely right back to sleep.

That was the problem with humans: they usually thought that demons had some grand diabolical scheme behind their possessions, but few did. A man did not go hunting in the woods because of some grand plot: he went for food, perhaps for sport. It was much the same with demons. They had little purpose to them, rather like cockroaches. They infested everywhere and did very little save cause destruction.